I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing old epoxy ?
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2021 10:29AM

I’m rewrapping an old surf rod for which I had coated the wraps with Clemens Crystal Coat, aka HobbyPoxy. I slogged through removing the guide wraps, but the diamond wrap has been particularly annoying. Any ideas about dissolving the epoxy to make my life easier?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing old epoxy ?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 31, 2021 06:33PM

If you can get some of the wrap thread loose enough to get a grip on and unwind it, a good bit of old finish should "flake" off with it. You should be able cut into the wrap a bit with a razorblade held parallel to the blank. Heating the wrap with a heat gun to soften the finish can speed this process. Don't overdo the heat or cut into the blank. You can also coat the wrap with Citri-Strip paint remover and let it sit a day or 2 to soften finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 01, 2022 12:25AM

Ditto on both comments from Lynn to use heat, but not too much heat.

Normally in the butt area of the rod with the much thicker wall section of the rod blank - there is not any issue at all with excess heat.

However, as one gets closer to the tip of any rod blank the wall thickness gets thinner and gets progressively more and more sensitive to heat.

To avoid getting a razor blade under a piece of graphite - I always suggest that folks hever hold the cutting tool at any thing except 90 degrees to the blank. By holding the razor blade perpendicular or at 90 degrees to the blank, you are essentially scrapping off the glue and finish.

On butt wraps, I am generally pretty generous with the application of heat. Once the blank, glue and other products on top of the blank - is nice and toasty -- most times the finish, thread wraps etc. may quickly be removed. Once you have the worst of everything removed, then more heat and the perpendicular scraping with the single sided razor blade will quickly make the blank as clean and as smooth as a "new born babe" so to speak.

Then, once all visible finish and adhesive has been removed I will use 600 wet and dry sand paper used wet to remove every vestige of any thing left on the blank except the original blank material.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2022 08:13AM

Hobby Poxy is not similar to what we normally use as guide wrap epoxy. It is more of a paint than a casting resin and as you're no doubt aware it is very hard and brittle. Heat will have little effect on it. To that end you're left with having to hope that unwinding the thread will remove most of it (wear safety glasses as the debris is quite sharp to the eyes) and then pick and pull at any remaining residue with a dental pick or corner of a razor blade. There is no extremely easy way to do this. It will take some work and time.

Date: January 01, 2022 08:56AM

Agreed. That is more or less what I ended up doing. It was not fun. One of the reasons why I’ve gone back to varnish on rods that I.build for myself.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2022 02:10PM

Wear safety glasses.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 01, 2022 05:11PM

Never knew of Crystal Coat to be "aka" Hobby Poxy. Plenty of good 2 part epoxy finishes out there, why varnish?

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2022 05:32PM

i think it was hobby poxy before crystal coat.. used for painting lures etc..

Date: January 01, 2022 05:36PM

Most of the other epoxy finishes seemed to be designed as “one-and-done” finishes, possibly to expedite manufacturing. I like to apply multiple thin coats. With Hobby Poxy, I’d get a look similar to varnish. I don’t believe Hobby Poxy is available anymore. Plus, I like working with varnish, and any rework is definitely easier.

Date: January 01, 2022 07:09PM

Copy that.

Date: January 01, 2022 07:09PM

Copy that.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2022 07:24PM

Clemens Crystal Coat was Hobby Poxy, AKA Klass Kote.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster