I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Length of winding
Posted by: Micky Comley (---)
Date: December 31, 2021 06:23PM

Thanks Mark about the optical illusion! You are so right about every reply being good. I feel like I’ve just taken a class!
Ben - Totally Way Over My Head? Wasn’t me that came up with that Sis N Law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2021 06:50PM

Micky, that,s it! that,s eerie..she got every word..get her to pick all your lotto numbers..she,s plugged into another dimensiion..there are people like that..thanks..

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: December 31, 2021 06:56PM

Different strokes ......the fish I go for have a tendancy to rip the rod right out of your hands. All the lightness and sensitivity in the world won't get that fish in any easier. I like pretty....and bling....sometimes so pretty that I just have to hold the rod over the side and the fish jump in. Trim bands, weaves, decorative butt wraps rule!

Date: December 31, 2021 07:13PM

Grant, that,s so funny..your killing me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2021 07:18PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Micky Comley (---.176.213.151.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 31, 2021 09:22PM

Well, they won’t be jumping into my boat anytime soon if bling is what it takes. I’m still trying to get my wrap lengths the same. Lol. I am however interested in trying a weave.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 01, 2022 12:31AM

With answering a question about the number of wraps, I simply reply with this answer.

Put the number of pre guide, guide and post guide wraps so that you are comfortable with both the appearance and the strength of the rod and guide foot besing secure in the wraps.

That may mean that one uses 1 or 2 wraps before the guide and 0 after the guide. Or it may mean 10 wraps before the guide and 10 wraps after the guide including the locking wraps that are a favorite for many rod builders.

As the saying says, " if the wrap looks right, it is right."

However, I would guess that the average number of pre wraps is 2-8, and the number of wraps after a guide is 2-8 depending on how many locking wraps one desires.

Best wishes.

Date: January 01, 2022 12:35AM

p.s.
For butt wraps - depending on how much bling that one uses on a rod, the number of wraps may be 1/2 inch in length or it may be 15 inches in length.

There are those builders who really enjoy the skill that they have with their weaving and are able to tell an entire story on their rod with their skilled weaving.

For myself, I use very very short and narrow butt wraps, because I simply consider that a fishing rod is simply a tool to catch fish.

If there is one butt wrap or 500 butt wraps, that number will have essentially 0 effect on catching most fish. But, if a skilled artist puts on 500 butt wraps, it is likely that there may be an entire story spelled out on the butt wraps and puts this beautiful rod into the wall hanging queen - since the rod is too pretty for a user to feel comfortable fishing with such a rod.

Best wishes

Posted by: chris c nash (70.35.188.---)
Date: January 01, 2022 12:56AM

If you look through the photos section on this website it will become readily apparent that the overwhelming majority of guide wraps are exceedingly long . Much longer than what one would consider minimal but as many have stated already it's custom rod building and each builder has their reasons for how a build turns out and if they approve that's all that matters.

I just build rods for myself and keep things very minimal . I don't want to build a dull looking rod so I use catchy colors in my thread choices but there is no excess of anything and all wraps end very very close to where the guide foot ends. When you first start out building you will be surprised how not paying careful attention to things can really add up when the build is finally completed . Unfortunately it's not really possible for someone's first build to be their best build even though I'm sure we all want to do an impeccable job on our first build .

As with most things in life you get better the more you do it so enjoy and try not to beat yourself up too much , it's a learning process .

One last thing , I have always eyeballed the wrap lengths and at times made tiny adjustments to length but the vast majority look identical to the eye without needing to break out precision measuring equipment .

Date: January 01, 2022 12:59AM

Thanks Roger! Lots of good info in your reply. I don’t understand what you mean by “wraps after the guide”.

Date: January 01, 2022 01:36AM

Howdy Chris, I like your philosophy! Thank you for replying. You are correct on my first build. It’s pretty sad but boy have I learned a lot!! Same thing I would tell my shop students when they were disappointed with how their first project came out. I’m just having fun learning a new hobby.

Date: January 01, 2022 01:46AM

Happy New Year to all my new friends and teachers!!! Let’s hope that ‘22 is better to all of us.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 01, 2022 07:36PM

The number of wraps depends upon whether you seek form or function. For some builders appearance is paramount: lots of wrappings, different colors, multiple coats of finish. For others where performance is foremost the shortest wrappings to cover guide feet and the thinest possible coat of finish over wrappings. And all points in-between.

Date: January 01, 2022 09:47PM

Micky,
This is what I mean by the statement "wraps after the guide.

I start wrapping below the guide, i.e. closer to the rod butt.

Then, I will wrap up the guide foot starting from its thinnest end.

Then, if I using a locking wrap, I will put in a pull thread as I near the point where the guide begins up.

Now, if I am using a locking wrap, I will go above the guide foot after the full guide foot has been covered.

I will then, do a locking loop, by winding above the rod, and following that with a full wrap around the rod blank only. Then, I will continue another wrap around the rod, but when it comes time at the rising portion of the guide foot, I will put a loop around the rising portion of the guide foot. Then, I continue adding locking wraps - all above the rising portion of the guide foot, and each time wrapping the thread around the rising portion of the guide foot causing the operation to form a locking loop to prevent guide pull out of the wrap. At the end of the locking wraps, I pull the thread pull and using the loop, finish the wrap

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 01, 2022 10:04PM

roger wilson Wrote:

>
> I will then, do a locking loop

> operation to form a locking loop to prevent guide
> pull out of the wrap.

Mhmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 10:45AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2022 10:39PM

Thousands of fishermen do have guides pull out from under the wraps. This is typically the bane of bass fishermen who get in a bit of a hurry to put rods in, or pull them out, of boat rod locker storage areas. While many solutions were attempted over the years, it was the locking wrap developed by noted rod builder Rich Forhan that proved one of, if not the very best, in terms of performance and ease of implementation.

Date: January 01, 2022 10:57PM

What he said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 10:45AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2022 11:32PM

If anything a locking wrap provides a better surface for the epoxy to adhere to...maybe. I see no need I have never pulled a guide. First step when I finish a guide is completely filling the guide tunnel with epoxy. Then bring it onto the guide wrap. See a lot of rods factory and custom where the tunnel seems an after thought. Wrap is finished nice but the finish is stopped at the guide leg and if any epoxy makes it's way forward of the leg it is minimal and certainly not done in any meaningful fashion.

Date: January 02, 2022 08:18AM

i do not think epoxy seals tunnels very well..it pops free of the blank in time and water can get in..if the tunnel were left open so air can freely move in and out it would quickly dry out..i,ve been usig Seymo sealer and leaving tunnels open to dry..the sealer is water resistsnt..i leave the tunnels open on both ends of the guide..water can get but also comes out and air gets in to dry the tunnel and the wraps..

Date: January 02, 2022 09:26AM

Another issue rarely addressed is thread tension in the guide wraps.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 10:46AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2022 10:11AM

Kent, for over ten years alli did was flipping mmostly from a float tube in delawares mill ponds and caught soe really nice bass..no one else flipped..i hadbit to my self..anyway i would flip till i got hung up and had to go in and unsnag it..my rods took a beaten from poking in tree limbs and such but to this day there is not a single crack in any guide finish at the toe where all my commercial rods are all cracked..all my flip rods use the locking wrap which keeps the ring end of the guide very stable..that,s the end that gets all the bumps if the ring end can,t be moved the toe will not move and cause cracking of the finish..i use the locking wrap to stabilize the guides not just prevent pul outs

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster