I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help spec fly rod for a surprise trip
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:10PM

I have been surprised with a trip to Blue Ridge GA. I want to build fly rods for me and my Grandfather. I have only fly fished in the Olympic mountains and have no idea what weight or length of rod will be needed in Blue ridge.

My main questions are as follows:

1. What weight rod and line for the trout in this area?

2. Rod length? Is it tight quarters or open?

Thanks in advance.

A.P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help spec fly rod for a surprise trip
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:35PM

Need more information! That area has mountain streams and big rivers, the needs for those are different. Do you have any idea of the type of fishing you will be doing?

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:43PM

I believe we will be in the Toccoa near Curtis Switch. I have never been to or scouted the area so I have no idea what I am getting into.

If needed I can make one for the main river and one for the smaller streams.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:53PM

I just confirmed we will be on the river. No tiny streams this trip.

Edit: I am not a huge fly fisherman so any information you need you need to ask specifically so I can answer. I dabbled in small stream rainbows in the PNW but never got heavy into it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 01:20PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 02:10PM

I suggest a 9ft 6wt rod for that river, some nice sized rainbows.

Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2021 04:43PM

Yowch. I would think a 6 weight might be a bit heavy. We fish the Yakima River here in Washington about 50 days a year and they have some 20-24" Rainbows with the average fish about 12-16". I use a 4 wt fly rod mainly. - I have it paired with a 5 wt. line as I find it casts better. If the wind is blowing pretty good I might go to my 5 wt. The only time we use a 6 wt. is when we are chucking big ol' heavy streamers. A 5 wt. rod is considered one of the most versatile rods out there and what most people who either are new to fly fishing or don't fish that often buy. It can cover the small guys to the bigger guys. I went to Chile to fish and mainly used a 5 wt rod for those bad boys.

I didn't look at the size of the fish where you are going but unless they are consistently big, fat, strong lunkers I would go with a 5 wt. rod. Just my opinion and at the end of the day just do what you think fits your overall program best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 04:44PM by Philip Bogardus.

Date: December 30, 2021 04:52PM

Ok - I quit being lazy and I went and looked up the Toccoa River.

I found this information on a Google search: This post is in reference to a 6 wt. rod "That outfit is a little on the heavy side for most North Georgia streams. It would work well on big rivers like the Toccoa, Hiwassee, Chattahoochee, especially if you are chucking streamers. For most North Georgia water, a 5-weight would be sufficient and the most versatile. You could throw streamers, dries and nymphs with a decent presentation. With that said, I’d opt for a 4-weight 9 footer."

I looked on a couple guide shop websites and from the pictures of fish I saw on a couple websites I would go with a 5 weight. Remember that the pictures posted on fly fishing guide website are the big ones people caught. Those sized fish are most likely not the norm and when you hook one it will be a blast on a 5 wt. I still think at the end of the day the 5 weight will work fine on the Toccoa and will be a great rod for you on future fly fishing adventures. Also, if you need a bigger rod the guides will most likely have those for you to use. Have fun - that looks like a great place to fish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 05:07PM by Philip Bogardus.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2021 05:01PM

When I go somewhere that I have never river fished before, I will bring a 9' 5wt fast action rod. The other thing I bring is the Lamson Liquid 3 pack that I have in the 7wt+ size. I use 8wt reels on my 5wts because of the spool diameter. I will spool a WF 5 F on one spool, WF 6 F on another and a 5wt intermediate on the 3rd spool. Modern fast blanks like TFO BVK, NFC LMX, Sage One and others can accommodate a line size over their rating very well. I have caught some fairly large fish on just a 5 wt. If they are larger fish, just adjust your leader accordingly. If it will be windy consider a 8.5' rod. This is what I would use to keep it light without bringing another rod. I also have a Fish Pond waterproof sling that will hold everything and a couple of sandwiches and drinks. They are kind of expensive but I use it every time I go fishing so it is worth it and keeps your stuff dry and can stay on your side/back while fishing. Sounds like a fun trip.

Date: December 30, 2021 05:09PM

I should have said this to begin with - Call a local fly fishing shop and ask them what is typically used. Those guys can be a great help.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (74.214.1.---)
Date: December 31, 2021 12:05PM

Thanks everyone.

I called a local place and they mentioned a 4 piece 5 wt between 8" and 9" being a good versatile rod for the area.

Philip Bogardus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok - I quit being lazy and I went and looked up
> the Toccoa River.
>
> I found this information on a Google search: This
> post is in reference to a 6 wt. rod "That outfit
> is a little on the heavy side for most North
> Georgia streams. It would work well on big rivers
> like the Toccoa, Hiwassee, Chattahoochee,
> especially if you are chucking streamers. For
> most North Georgia water, a 5-weight would be
> sufficient and the most versatile. You could throw
> streamers, dries and nymphs with a decent
> presentation. With that said, I’d opt for a
> 4-weight 9 footer."
>
> I looked on a couple guide shop websites and from
> the pictures of fish I saw on a couple websites I
> would go with a 5 weight. Remember that the
> pictures posted on fly fishing guide website are
> the big ones people caught. Those sized fish are
> most likely not the norm and when you hook one it
> will be a blast on a 5 wt. I still think at the
> end of the day the 5 weight will work fine on the
> Toccoa and will be a great rod for you on future
> fly fishing adventures. Also, if you need a
> bigger rod the guides will most likely have those
> for you to use. Have fun - that looks like a
> great place to fish

I think I found similar articles on the local chamber sites.

Date: January 01, 2022 01:35PM

Aaron -

Go with the 9' long rod instead of the 8 or 8-1/2 long rod. You will be able to use it for dry flies and nymphing. When working it as a nymph rig the extra 6-12" of length over shorter rods will be a big plus. This is why I use dedicated 10' 4 wt. rods in my drift boat over the shorter 9' rods for when the nymphing action is on.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 02, 2022 02:36AM

I believe that the nine foot, five weight rod is probably the most versatile one in existence for trout. Just like Philip and many others with some years of fishing, I most often prefer a four weight. However, if I had to own only one fly rod I might recant to a five weight. This configuration is great on a bigger river and in the wind, while not being a complete moose on a smaller stream. The four weight on a bigger river is better in the hands of an experienced person. The six weight will seem pretty heavy for many trout applications after an angler is seasoned by a few quality trips. It seems like Aaron’s needs are right in the five weight ballpark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2022 02:45AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster