I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Prokote gummed up
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: December 29, 2021 11:37AM

I ordered Prokote thread finish from Mudhole on 12/1, received it and used almost half of it. Went to use it today and noticed the bottom 3/4” is what I wall say gummed up on the blue bottle. Work room is ~72* and it wasn’t like that when I got it. Prior builds set up and I had no issues but not sure why this would have happened in such a short period of time, and I know it wasn’t received this way. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prokote gummed up
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 29, 2021 12:00PM

Many epoxy resins will crystallize when cooled down. It is completely reversible by warming up the resin, much like ice to water. Once warmed up the crystal will melt with no adverse effects. You can warm the resin up by placing the bottle in hot water, or microwaving it for very short bursts times until the crystals disappear.
Norm

Date: December 29, 2021 02:43PM

Thanks, I will give that a try. Seems odd that it happened so soon but I will be happy if I can still use it

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2021 05:01PM

Curt Hennig was teh man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2021 06:27PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 29, 2021 07:00PM

Where did it say the temp dropped? All I see is 72 mentioned. Seems a bit soon to show crystalizing for me as well. At least it would spark my interest. Then again, I don't know everything.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 29, 2021 08:15PM

I agree with Lynn. David stated in his original post that his shop is 72* = if that is too cold for thread epoxy, then we are all in trouble. Furthermore, David’s question/ observation referred to the epoxy seeming to have “gummed up”, not crystallized. The only thing I can think of is the possibility of the dispensing syringes, or other transfer devices, cross-contaminating each other. Otherwise, it may just be a funky batch of epoxy = return it.
Billy, please explain exactly what a “teh” man is; I have never heard of it before = I’m here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2021 09:42PM

it sounds like you had a temperature drop some night in your work room and pro coat resin is sensitive to this..it only takes one night..i,m going off in a tangent now just to point out a product i like for this issre..it comes from pac bay and is/was sold by mud hole..they are catsup like packets of pre measured epoxy..what i like is they can be put in your pants pocket to pre warm for a couple hours then you just cut the end and squeee out the epoxy and mix..you get a good three cc..i build so few rods anymore so these packets are all i need..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 29, 2021 09:54PM

Once a seed crystal is formed, the crystallization process will proceed even at room temperature. You don’t need really cool temperatures to get crystal formation in epoxy resins. Crystallization can be caused by high purity resins, moisture, temperature, and/or a contaminant. Crystallization is not an indication of defective material. It can occur in random containers from the same batch. Just make sure you warm up the resin before using.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2021 09:55PM by Norman Miller.

Date: December 29, 2021 09:59PM

good stuff Norm!

Date: December 30, 2021 07:00AM

Mark search teh" there are 20 years worth of posts you missed out on. IT's a shame people are allowed to post misinformation "potential bad batches". We need a Ralph O'Quinn witch hunt post to set people in line

Date: December 30, 2021 07:27AM

Billy, there,s not anyone on this forum sharp enough as Mr. O'Quinn to head up that job..Tom maybe but that,s not really his style..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 07:40AM by ben belote.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 12:45PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark search teh" there are 20 years worth of posts
> you missed out on. IT's a shame people are allowed
> to post misinformation "potential bad batches". We
> need a Ralph O'Quinn witch hunt post to set people
> in line

I don't see any misinformation here. He just asked about his scenario. Nowhere did he say it was "bad".

Date: December 30, 2021 02:51PM

I didn't realize Mark hired Zach as his lawyer
", it may just be a funky batch of epoxy = return it." < Quality information right there

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: December 30, 2021 03:27PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't realize Mark hired Zach as his lawyer
> ", it may just be a funky batch of epoxy = return
> it." < Quality information right there

I'm talking about the original poster. There are adult ways to discuss things but you seem to gravitate to the childish/immature ways of discussing things. No one is impressed, no girls are throwing their panties at you. People come here to learn, not to read your invaluable sarcastic comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2021 03:27PM by zachary guyach.

Date: December 30, 2021 03:31PM

My reply above was in response to a smart ass reply that has since disappeared, along with another by the OP. Gotta love it.

Date: December 30, 2021 07:03PM

I didn’t delete it.

Date: December 31, 2021 06:53PM

David, I know it wasn't you. Sorry you thought I might have meant that, I been with ya all the way Bro. Happy New Year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster