I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What NOT to do?
Posted by: Joel Skinner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 08:36AM

Hi everyone, first time rod builder and first time poster.

I've decided to build a 3wt CTS glass fly rod and I've done lots of research on what to do, but I haven't really found anything telling me what not to do. I'm hoping some of you guys can tell me what I'm most likely to mess up on my first rod, or what some really common mistakes are for first time rod builders.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What NOT to do?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 08:45AM

Don't worry about making mistakes; enjoy the build.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 09:05AM

some may say building on glass is your first mistake..lol..but just laugh..i love glass too..allmy builds are glass now..you can,t make any mistakes, just learning experiences on how to correct them..enjoy the process.

Posted by: Josh Boege (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 09:15AM

Do not set a deadline for the rod to be completed or for any one step in the process to be finished. Go slow then slower.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: December 23, 2021 09:31AM

Lessons I've learned as an amateur rod builder, mostly the hard way...

-Work in a bright, well lit area.
-Ream your cork/arbors slowly. You can always take more out, but you can't put it back in. Ream, dry fit, ream, dry fit until you're happy with it.
-Get your napkins/paper towels and acetone handy and reachable before you start working with your epoxy.
-Fresh razors and sharp scissors will prevent thread fuzz. I end up being cheap and try to re-use razors that should be retired and I end us with gnarled cuts. If you end up with little fuzzies, passing a lighter over them quickly can singe them off.
-If you finish a guide and you're not 100% happy with it, cut it off and re-do it.

Hope some of these help. They're just things I've learned about my own rod building shortcomings since I've started.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: December 23, 2021 10:05AM

Hey Joel,
Congratulations on choosing such a great blank.
With the Striped Bass fishery in such poor shape, I will be doing some trout fishing in RI next season. So, I bought the same blank as yours for the small streams there.
IMO - you should focus on the "correct" method to build this great blank - not what not to do.
I have mentored many new builders using CTS blanks forthe first time.

Email me if interested in personal step-by-step instructions.
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 10:20AM

Joel Welcome tp the forum and the addictive art of rodbuilding. Enjoy the process of building your new rod and don't worry too much about mistakes. You can fix most anything you do, not to your liking.
We all make mistakes no matter how long you have been building so welcome to the club. And when you are finished post a couple of photos of your new rod.

Tom

Toms Custom Rods

Date: December 23, 2021 10:44AM

Thank you Herb! I sent you an email!

Date: December 23, 2021 10:46AM

Jason,

Thanks for the advice. Is it possible that acetone will damage the finish of the rod? I had planned on using denatured alcohol, though this might not be much better. What would you recommend?

Date: December 23, 2021 10:56AM

Ben,

I've never even fished a glass rod! Been fly fishing for about 9 years now on three different rods. I figure it is time to expand my collection

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 10:57AM

Welcome to the board and a great hobby. I have made most of the mistakes out three. Just learn from them and build a solid functional rod. Don't worry about pretty at first. Slow is good. Redo mistakes, you can't cover them up.

Date: December 23, 2021 11:00AM

Josh Boege Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not set a deadline for the rod to be completed
> or for any one step in the process to be finished.
> Go slow then slower.

I'll try.. patience is a virtue I was not born with. It's a wonder that I like fishing at all :)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 11:01AM

I have built a lot of rods and never use acetone. I doubt if it will affect this rod, but it does affect some, and can attack other materials. Fumes are dangerous. I only use alcohol. I have not seen an example of alcohol damaging anything. It certainly won't damage cork or the seat. Try it on the blank in an area that will be under the grip.

First build tips :

Dry assemble everything first so that you know it will fit properly and that you understand that the order of assembly will work and which way the reel seat goes if it can go either.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Clean up epoxy immediately if it gets out onto surfaces where it should not be. Repeat it. Alcohol dries fast so you can see if you got all the epoxy off very soon after cleaning.
Don't skimp on epoxy blank to seat and blank to grip.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 12:54PM

I'm sort of the perpetual amateur builder on this forum.

My advice is to not hesitate at all about asking questions on here.

The people on here are nice, and very helpful.

Going slow is great advice, and difficult for me to follow. Just remember that you're going to look at and use that rod for years. What's another couple of hours or days to try to get it right?

All the best-

Date: December 23, 2021 01:20PM

Joel, my chemistry isn't that good to speak on glass, I've only built on graphite. I just wet a napkin/paper towel with nail polish remover and wipe away excess epoxy. I've noticed that it'll occasionally pull some dark color off my real seat/winding checks but I've never noticed it damage a blank or even leave any noticeable effects. .

Posted by: Josh Boege (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 01:27PM

Dude me neither. I rushed everything. I had epoxy not cure, wraps too tight or loose, misaligned guides. You name it.

The run of ice rods Im doing right now. Im going painfully slow but my rods actually look professionally built as a result.

Remember this process is unforgiving and mistakes are sometimes not noticed until the epoxy is going on or already dry. If it ain’t right, fix it now, it only gets harder the further you go in the build.

Turn on some music and chill out, think about what you’re doing and why. Go slow.

Mistakes will come and go. Have fun in between.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 23, 2021 01:36PM

Don't over-do it. The more stuff on the blank, like decorations, windings and coats of finish, the worse the rod is for fishing. The lighter the better - if you're building the rod to fish with.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2021 02:15PM

problems i have made for myself in haste include misspaced or misaligned guides/reel seats(fly rod). threads wrapped over themselves/gapped. are the two biggies for me. poorly measured epoxy finish happened only once but it really messed my rod up. enjoy your creation!

Date: December 23, 2021 02:59PM

Josh B is right. Throw on some music or a podcast, crack open a craft beer or cocktail, and take it all slow. If you're not building for profit, don't rush. I had Long Trail Harvest Brown Ale last night while listening to Mark Jefferies' retirement show on BTL as I wrapped my little girl's 1st rod for Christmas. Very enjoyable overall.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 03:30PM

Jason, why would you use nail polish remover when it changes the color of wraps? But I don't have any wraps on my builds when I'm cleaning up epoxy glue from assembling seats/grips. I do that first, before any wrapping. Another tip is probably to use products designed specifically for rod building or at least that have a record of acceptable results. Woody's observation on measuring epoxy is a good one. Almost all epoxy failures are due to mis-measuring. Use syringes, the ones marketed for rod building so they won't have any contaminants in them, and measure exact amounts of each. Most recommend 3 cc's of each, mix for 120 seconds, take your epoxy from the middle of the puddle where there is little chance of poor mix.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster