I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blackfish Guide Selection Assistance
Posted by: Salvatore Frisina (66.31.224.---)
Date: December 22, 2021 09:16AM

Hi all: I posted awhile ago about a tautog/blackfish rod I want ot build. I am using the Rod Geek XC733 blank (Thanks for your help Billy V) I am rather confused with guides, although after all the research I found that Alconite is the way to go for those who use braid. Now my question to the group is:

What is the most common reel type? Conventional or Spinning?

What brand/type of guide should I use?

Would this be a light or medium duty guide size application?

I would like it to appeal to the Blackfish/Taug fisherman.

Thank You,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blackfish Guide Selection Assistance
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2021 11:09AM

Fuji K or MN

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2021 01:49PM

Just about any ceramic ring material will accommodate braid. Alconite on Fuji guides is one my favorite ring materials but because it is going to be a saltwater rod, I would want solid titanium frames and Fuji does not offer that in an Alconite ring. If you plan on having this rod for a while and using it on a regular basis, I would go with a solid Titanium alloy frame. It is costly with Fuji guides like their SIC or even more expensive Torzite. You are looking for a medium duty guide and the Fuji K & M frames are great, but I would get them in the CC finish. Also look at the Seaguide from Rod Builders Warehouse in a similar type of frame; TiB and TiXQ, these have solid titanium alloy frames and use Zirconium or Silicon Nitride RS rings that will work great with braid. Alps and AT also have solid Titanium frames with good rings for braid. If this rod is going to be used off a boat, then I would go with a bait casting rod (conventional). If you are going off jetties or shoreline, where you will be actually trying to cast for distance and not just lobbing a bait, then you may want to consider a spinning set up and higher framed guides. With the correct conventional reel and with the guides mentioned you should also be able to cast for distance, if you have that ability. Looks like a great blank to build on, have fun.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 22, 2021 03:38PM

I’m on both sides of the fence of the titanium versus stainless steel debate for saltwater use. I’ve used titanium on my recent saltwater builds. However, I have thirty year old rods with SS guides that have held up under reasonable maintenance. Your blank is very appropriate and priced nicely for the performance it offers. It’s not so expensive that you would feel bad having to replace guides if corrosion did happen years out. Rinse before storage and when feasible during periods of use, and SS will be fine. I get into some back country, saltwater fishing situations where freshwater is so scarce that it’s only for drinking and cooking. If this is in your future, then titanium is nice peace of mind.

Posted by: Salvatore Frisina (---)
Date: December 23, 2021 01:44PM

Thank you, for all your help. I just purchased this morning the CRB Medium Duty Spin/Cast Guide - Model MD. Not really happy with crb, but mudhole stock is limited. I am going to cancel and look for a guide as per your recommended specifications. Any ideas as to where I can find a good selection of guides? I like mudhole, but tired of them pushing crb.
Thanks guys.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2021 04:10PM

Order from GRumpy's in Seaside, they have a full stock of what you need for the fishing we do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster