I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Tip on Ultralight Rods
Posted by: Josh Boege (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 10:18AM

Hello all,

I am in the process of wrapping some ultralight ice rods. I also recently converted to a power wrapper in the DC777. With my CRB hand wrapper, I bought an attachment for the wrapper from Mud Dog rods here in Duluth, MN, which helped somewhat. However this part wouldn't work with the DC777.

I had hoped to avoid using a tip top, since the rod tips are orange. Putting a black or silver tip top on there would not be quite as pleasing to the eye. Also, finding 1mm tip tops right now is apparently impossible.

To wrap these noodle rods is exceptionally difficult. The tip is bending all over the place, trying to tie off at the end is also hard, since the thread wants to pull down and off the blank. I can get them tied if I work at it, but it looks pretty crappy.

I look at my Della Bay handmade rod and its flawless at the tip. How did these wizards perform this feat?!

Any advice? Or do I just swallow my pride and try and source some 1mm tip tops?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Tip on Ultralight Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2021 10:29AM

Some builders use a fly typing bobbin tool for hand wrapping tiptops to very slim rod tips. Use something like Flex Coat guide adhesive to stick it down, then grasp the rod with one hand and use the bobbin to wrap with. You'll still have to insert a tie-off loop before finishing the wrap but the bobbin can be left hanging down to keep tension on the thread while you do that.

Date: December 20, 2021 10:33AM

Hmmm, that makes sense. Would any bobbin work?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2021 11:05AM

A fly tying bobbin is ideal. A regular sewing machine type bobbin might be tricky as it isn't designed to be used by hand.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 01:20PM

josh,
Pretty easy to do this job with a bit of tip support:

Build one of these tip supports:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The base is a piece of 3/8th thick plastic cutting board.

Then, down the center line of the board, I drill a series of holes to accommodate a piece of solid fiberglass rod blank that is small in size.

On the top side of the support - I use my dremel tool along with an abrasive cutting disk to create a notch in the top of the rod blank that is the right width - to hold the small diameter ice rod tips for ice fishing rod builds.

Once you have a method to mount the plastic cutting board tool - drill holes or what ever is necessary to connect the tip support tool to your rod base - trim the length of the vertical tip support to be at the correct distance that lines up with the rest of the blank supports.

Some people will take a rubber band and loop it around the top of the tip support - but below the rod blank, and then loop it back over the top of the rod support to help insure that the rod blank tip does not get pulled out of the notch on the small tip rod blank support.

Best wishes.

Date: December 20, 2021 04:18PM

You know, I’ve got a spare fiberglass mounting tube. I bet I could drill out a shallow hole in my wrapping jig to hold it. I could run a little thread finish in the notch of that mounting tube to make it smooth. That just might work.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 04:49PM

Josh,
Wrapping flimsy, wimpy blank tips can be difficult if not aggravating. Roger is quite a fabricator and his tip support method will certainly work and is probably easier to make than what I built. If you care to do so, take a look at mine to maybe give you some additional ideas to make your own.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 20, 2021 06:06PM

I did talk to a local guy here who gave me some advice I will try out in the interim. But I’m absolutely going to use the fiberglass idea.

Not sure after I build these 8 I’ve got on my list, haha. I may just specialize in walleye ice rods.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 20, 2021 06:45PM

Help me out a little here Josh. What is a fiberglass mounting tube?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 11:46PM

I don't wrap tips very often, but I use one of my bobbins when I do, I've had this one a very long time so I may be off, all my bobbins are Griffins I think,I have one that would hold a standard wrapping spool without modification, the Magnum. Might even take a 1 oz spool.

Date: December 21, 2021 07:09AM

It’s used to build ice rod handles.

For example:

[mudhole.com]

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (151.181.90.---)
Date: December 21, 2021 10:13AM

I just don't use the power on my alps, just hand turn it. I do run glow in the dark wraps on hut rods. So I do wrap some of tops.
Been making carbon and fiberglass dead-sticks for deep water crappie/perch and occasional walleye. Doing the soft/flexing rods are tough and my quality varies. Ultimately the wrap needs to hold the guide on, not win a beauty contest.
I like the bobbin idea.

Been doing a few rods with these seat/handles [www.jannsnetcraft.com]
Exposed blank should be great. Got em on sale during the summer, also bought a ton of guides on sale as well.
Just been epoxying the blank to the interior.
For my walter rods I just wrap them on the alps. Usually were fishing blade baits& so a stiffer longer rod is what I use.

Date: December 21, 2021 01:29PM

Ive done the last two using the pedal. I sort of have it down. The tip I just wrapped on my lunch break turned out extremely well. I have a first coat of epoxy drying on it now.

I love these moments, unlocking some new technique that totally reinvigorates your spirit.

Date: December 21, 2021 08:23PM

A couple of pictures of ice rods under construction:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The picture of the rod rests that I use with Ice rods.
These cantilevered rod holder allows me to move the holder within an inch or so of the ice rod tip top to hold the tip secure as I wrap. In this case, the rollers are 1 inch shower door rollers with an O ring in the groove of the roller. This makes a nice compact support that allows one to have their hands directly under the portion where one is wrapping.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Using Ortho bands to hold guides in place as the guide is wrapped. Ortho bands are slid down the rod blank in large enough numbers to hold the guides with a couple of extra.
Then, as the particular guide is 1/2 wrapped, a sharp nipper is used to cut the ortho band and then the wrap is finished. No hassle with tape, cement, rubber bands or other ways to have the guide in place before wrapping guides on these very small diameter blanks.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

14 ice rods drying after being wrapped on a 12 rod drum dryer and a pair of single rod drier.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

A double notched fiberglass rod blank for supporting a flexible ice rod blank during a guide wrap:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Note: the guides on this build are single foot Fly guides with no insert in the guides. These guides work very well for ice rods.

------------------
Ice rods drying, using single rod dryers.
IN this picture, the larger guide rests are the same rod rests that I use for my power rod wrapping:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 22, 2021 09:49AM

Roger you have an awesome set up! I love it. I’m taking some notes.

I currently have my first “perfect” ice rod drying now. It’s not perfect but for me, it’s pretty dang close.

I feel I finally have a system. I think wrapping tips on thin rods will always be a challenge on some level though.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2021 10:23AM

i ty my own flys and a bobbin makes wrapping a hook shank a no thought operationn, an ice rod is just as easy. l use the bobbin to wrap all the guides on my rods so i guess i,m a little biased.. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2021 10:56AM by ben belote.

Date: December 22, 2021 10:42AM

Josh,
Simply put -- use a rod support that is very thin and compact that you can have within one inch of your tip and wrapping the tip is trivial.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-213-145.myvzw.com)
Date: December 22, 2021 12:16PM

Hey Josh. Your email is hidden. I could send you pics of how I modified my crb hand wrapper to do glass power noodles if your email was available.
Scott

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 22, 2021 09:13PM

Scott, I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss e-mail on the forum. At least if Josh doesn't send you a reply better not to ask him to check it. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster