I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Choker Guide Measurement for Casting Reel
Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 19, 2021 11:12AM

To date, everything I have read concerning choker guide placement seems to be based upon spinning reels. Is the principal basically the same for a casting reel? Can the measurement of a fully loaded casting spool be used and multiplied by 27 to get a good location for the choker? Also on blanks over 10' is it proper to use the larger guide, immediately before the smaller running guides.

Once I determine the choke guide spot, I will use a static load methadfor the remaining guide train.
I appreciate any advice on getting this done properly.

Happy Holidays!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choker Guide Measurement for Casting Reel
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2021 11:31AM

There is no "choker" guide on a casting rod. Unnecessary due to the way the line comes of the spool.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 19, 2021 02:23PM

Line comes off spool straight. So nothing to choke as said above. I use stripper guides on my bass rods as small as 4 to 5mm with zero problems.

Date: December 19, 2021 04:37PM

I don't think he's referring to the butt guide when he says "choker" guide for a casting rod. He mentions a spinning rod for reference and the choker guide on a spinning rod isn't the butt guide.

Perhaps he can clarify.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: December 19, 2021 07:48PM

Fuji’s K-R Concept for casting rods, Link to some info...

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: December 19, 2021 08:59PM

I have put the butt guide at 550 - 560 mm. Thats roughly 21" - 22" (inches).
You can use that as an initial starting spot and then as you set your other guides from the tip....you can adjust the butt guide location accordingly.
I will usually use a bit larger butt guide too.... especially with a flipping rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 19, 2021 09:39PM

Never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2021 07:19PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: December 19, 2021 09:42PM

The OP might have mistaken the butt and a spinning rod choker guide as being the same thing. I don't know. He is free to clarify that if he needs a more specific answer.

Date: December 19, 2021 10:19PM

I heard from the OP via email this evening. He said he thought the choker guide was an element of casting rods just as it is on spinning rods. He's got it straight now and all is well.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2021 07:33AM

the closest guide to being a choker on a casting outfit is the traverse guide on the reel.. it,s all kind of silly is the attitude i,m kind of taking..lol.

Date: December 20, 2021 08:11AM

He clarified that was not talking about the butt (1st) guide on a casting rod. He said he thought the NGC choker guide on a spinning rod (also not the butt or 1st guide) was "an element of casting rods as well."

Many novice rod builders will attempt to use a spinning rod guide system on their casting rods, not thinking about how the line comes off the reels differently. He's clear now.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 01:44PM

Actually a spinning rod guide system will work just fine on a casting rod - as long as the guides are wrapped on the top side of the rod blank - as opposed to their normal installation on the underside of the rods.

Really, if you just took your standard spinning rod guide set - but exchanged the first and second spinning rod guides to guides that were the same height and size as the 3rd guide on a spinning rod - as well as wrapping the guides on the top side of the road.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 02:57PM

What are the top and bottom sides of a rod?

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2021 02:59PM

it,s really surprissing how well a spinning reel will cast on a casting guide train as long as you use braided line of about 10# test..

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2021 03:20PM

Alex the top side is located exactly 180* from the bottom side. usually..lol.

Date: December 20, 2021 05:09PM

The top faces up, the bottom faces down.

Posted by: roger gleason (192.84.52.---)
Date: December 21, 2021 10:49AM

Alex Weissman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the top and bottom sides of a rod?

:)

Posted by: roger gleason (192.84.52.---)
Date: December 21, 2021 11:11AM

This discussion emphasizes that when searching for information on guide placement, for some reason that God only knows, most info is given for spinning setups and those that use casting rods are forced to extrapolate the information to the ideal rod for fishing :)
That, plus the fact that there is not a standard for guide nomenclature, and they are named in a proprietary fashion by manufacturers, causes confusion.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2021 03:31PM

With a spiral wrap there is a choker guide of sorts under the rod.

Date: December 21, 2021 03:46PM

I've never seen a choke guide on a spiral rod for the same reason there wouldn't be one on a guides-on-top casting rod. Perhaps you're referring to the first of the small running guides? I guess you could call it something like that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster