I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eliminating Thread Fuzzies
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 18, 2021 10:24PM

Since I promised “news at 11:00” within my 8/15/2021 post “Proper Thread Tension”, here is my reply after fabricating an Acetal idler V pulley to direct my thread from the spools and onto the blank. That original post had more to do with the “fuzzies” I was experiencing than anything else, hence inquiring about “proper thread tension”.
While designing my thread tensioners, I did not like other approaches of “pinching” the thread through washers as common with sewing machines and other commercially available rod wrappers and decided to create the adjustable tension on the thread spools themselves to eliminate any friction on the thread itself. As with many systems, I incorporated .080in SS wire screw eyes to route the thread from the spool onto the blank. I discovered that the tensioned thread being sharply bent around the small screw eyes was the root of my thread fuzzies, breaking a few filaments of the thread which, in turn, showed their nasty heads after finish was applied.
The wraps of the last three builds have been virtually fuzzie-free since the adoption of the idler pulley! While it may not be of major concern for my off-shore builds with their heavy 2-3 coats of thread finish where the fuzzies can be shaved off between coats, it is a blessing for my UL builds with their extremely minimal 1-coat; they are now perfect.
In conclusion, if you are experiencing thread fuzzies, consider and address how the thread is being directed / routed onto the blank.
If you care to do so, please see the attached photos.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eliminating Thread Fuzzies
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2021 04:03AM

Yep always better to tension the spool instead of clamping the thread especially on metallics. I like using a section of very light blank or spring steel with a ceramic tiptop to direct the thread. Nice to have that in between tension of the bent blank or steel. If you need to back off wrap or two you can without turning the spool to keep tension.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: December 19, 2021 04:28PM

Michael,
Thank you for the reply. While researching different designs of wrappers, thread carriages and tensioners prior to designing my own, I did not see a real big need for a “tension rod”; yes, they do allow one to back-up and keep tension on the thread without reversing the spool but I have not found reversing the spool to be inconvenient, I do not have a tension rod in the way and there is one less point of routing the thread. I have a tendency to wrap with higher tension than most which compounds the friction on the thread routed through eyes, even nice ceramic guide rings. While I, admittedly, did not try replacing the SS screw eyes with a ceramic ring, I discovered the real culprit to my fuzzies was the thread being bent around such a small radius while under tension. Furthermore, I never make a mistake and have to back-up while wrapping, YAH, RIGHT!
But there are many wrappers out there which employ tension rods and their owners like them = that’s all fine and dandy; it’s a personal choice; whatever gets ‘er done.
Apparently I am the only one who has experienced thread fuzzies due to the lack of replies. I am so pleased with the results of replacing the screw eyes with rollers that I wanted to share with others who may be experiencing fuzzie problems of their own.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger gleason (192.84.52.---)
Date: December 21, 2021 11:01AM

You're not the only one who gets fuzzies. I too, have suffered from fuzzies.

To quote:
"I discovered the real culprit to my fuzzies was the thread being bent around such a small radius while under tension"

I get problems like that when using too much tension. IMHO, the ceramics, rollers, etc, are a workaround if you like to wrap tight

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2021 11:49AM

why is so much thread tension needed, even to the point of breaking fibers, just to hold down a guide..is it not the number of wraps that hold the guide not extreme thread tension.. if your breaking fibers, your tension is way to hhigh or a guide is crackked..better yet go to D-thread..it can handle higher tensions..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2021 12:30PM by ben belote.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2021 11:51AM

why is so much thread tension needed, even to the point of breaking fibers, just to hold down a guide..is it not the number of wraps that hold the guide not extreme thread tension.. if your breaking fibers, your tension is way too hhigh or a guide is crackked..

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 22, 2021 05:00PM

Ben,
When I mention that I tend to use higher thread tension than others, it is certainly not excessive by any measure. As stated, I discovered the root of my problem was the thread being sharply bent around the tiny wire of the screw eyes while under tension which could break a filament or two of the thread here and there. On my original setup, the thread was directed ~130* through the last screw eye. With the updated system employing an Acetal “V” pulley (and using the same tension), I have no more fuzzies. While the tension played a role producing the fuzzies, the real culprit was the screw eye. That is what I was attempting to make people aware of.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2021 05:10PM

i stand corrected, Mark..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster