I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
If I had glass like this in 1970, I would have never have gotten into carbon fiber - Gary Loomis
Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: December 15, 2021 07:54PM

Introducing the APFG series of blanks! S2 Fiberglass from AGY (manufactured in Aiken, SC) is special. It has the effective modulus of standard carbon. This means that while it has some of the properties of glass, if used properly it can behave like carbon.

*The recovery of these blanks if 50% faster than that of traditional "E-glass" It is crisp!
*S2 is light. 30% Lighter than traditional glass on average, and combined with some cool mandrel technology, the resulting blank weights are at least 30% lighter than "regular" e-glass or s-glass blanks.
*The S2 fiber is not twisted, or woven - its uni-directional, which gives it a lot more stiffness and lifting power, while keeping weight down.
*These blanks follow our "Iconoglass" blank technology where the color pigment is added into the resin of the pre-preg - available in four stunning colors that will not degrade over time.
*APFG (ALL PURPOSE FAST GLASS!) are gloss, un-sanded for better "side impact" protection that make these blanks incredibly durable.
*These blanks are aggressively priced - because your glass blanks need to be American Made too.

Full Press Release Here:

[manage.kmail-lists.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If I had glass like this in 1970, I would have never have gotten into carbon fiber - Gary Loomis
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 15, 2021 08:01PM

American made. Gary Loomis. I'm in.

Re: If I had glass like this in 1970, I would have never have gotten into carbon fiber - Gary Loomis
Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: December 16, 2021 07:22AM

Hi,,
It looks like some multi-piece casting or spinning blanks in the pictures. I do not seem to find these blanks in the listing provided.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 16, 2021 07:47AM

Exactly how fast is it's recovery? What are the blanks' true natural frequency? Why deflection curves instead of CCS?

Posted by: Josh Boege (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 08:10AM

I’ve been kicking around this idea of an Ugly Stick, but upgraded. Quality glass blank. Run a nice EVA grip on it. I think it would make a great canoe rod for River smallies. This blank and it’s price seems to fit the bill.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 10:41AM

Josh Boege Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve been kicking around this idea of an Ugly
> Stick, but upgraded. Quality glass blank.

I do this same thing. I am not about to take my $300 plus custom bass rods into saltwater use. I catch some huge reds and snook, some measuring close to 40 inches long. Good size fish. And I use glass rods for saltwater use more than graphite. My 7' MH Ugly Stick is now my reds and snook rod. If it breaks, so what.

These blanks sound like a perfect replacement for me.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2021 11:04AM

i remember when shakespear used to sell ugly stik blanks..i have only one left..i keep hoping they will offer them again but in the meantime i have purchased the complete rods and upgraded them as Josh suggested..it,s nothing to sand them a little to change the taper if desired..i do this for spinerbait rods on occasion. you can do these things only on an ugly stick and not break the bank if things do not work out..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 16, 2021 11:05AM

The actual physical characteristics of fiberglass and graphite blanks can be measured and expressed in numbers along with the subjective information above. Numbers would allow a rod builder to actually KNOW which blanks are lightest, have the greatest hoop strength, fastest recovery rate, and any other functional information [such as harmonics] which a reasonable rod customer or rod builder might wish to know. Such information would not prevent advertisers from also describing the colors, textures, and "feel" of blanks along with their physical performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 11:07AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (50.106.16.---)
Date: December 16, 2021 12:59PM

Gary,

We call those "Iconoglas" and carry them in the Fly Section. As you can see, many folks build them up as multi piece spin or cast rods (we carry them from a 4wt up to a 12wt in the same colors)

[northforkcomposites.com]

Best,
Aleks

Gary Weber Wrote:
> Hi,,
> It looks like some multi-piece casting or
> spinning blanks in the pictures. I do not seem to
> find these blanks in the listing provided.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: December 16, 2021 01:35PM

I can't tell from the listing on the sight. Is the blank one piece or two pieces?

Date: December 16, 2021 02:30PM

Scott,

The listed blanks are one piece. (There's a table at the bottom, and the -1 behind the models is our way of indicating a one piece)

We do make blanks out of this material in 4 piece variations. We call them "Iconoglass"

Best,
Aleks

Scott Appley Wrote:
> I can't tell from the listing on the sight. Is the
> blank one piece or two pieces?

Date: December 16, 2021 04:46PM

Sorry, Phil. Your message fell on deaf ears. I give you some sarcasm sometimes, but in this case I'm in your court. We are being asked to buy "soulful" glass that is 50% faster than something un-defined.

Date: December 16, 2021 06:47PM

Michael, Phil,

"Message fell on deaf ears" - it did not.

We use ERN and AA in our blank development and rating - and if you recall, a number of years ago we published this:

I don't want to get ahead of myself - but we have about 90% of our blanks (or about 700 models) nearly ready with ERN and AA info...I expect to publish it by the end of the month (here's a snip attached)

With over 700 blank models - we take an "average" measurement per blank (within our flex tolerance) from multiple batches of material and manufacturing runs...to do this across that many models takes a lot of "project" time.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2021 06:49PM by Aleks Maslov.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 08:20PM

Thanks Aleks, the effort is greatly appreciated. NFC once published CCS data on most of the rods they produced. A few years ago a rodboard member (Gib Portwood) archived the CCS data published by PacBay, NFC and Point Blanks in a public excel data base. Here is a link to that data base.

[onedrive.live.com]

The first page has an ERN calculator, and you need to put it in the edit mode to use it. It is quite useful. The next page is the database page.
The published CCS data for new RX10 Eternity Blanks are not included in this data base.
Norm

Date: December 16, 2021 08:41PM

Thanks Norm! Very useful indeed.

I'll get the "rest" of the NFC blanks added - do I send them to you once I have added them to have them added/shared to the database? (Is it shared on your one drive, or still Gibs?)

Best Regards,
Aleks

Norman Miller Wrote:
> Thanks Aleks, the effort is greatly appreciated.
> NFC once published CCS data on most of the rods
> they produced. A few years ago a rodboard member
> (Gib Portwood) archived the CCS data published by
> PacBay, NFC and Point Blanks in a public excel
> data base. Here is a link to that data base.
>
> [onedrive.live.com]
> 9A67B2F4!13601&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authke
> y=!AGmiHtf5b3XbgAo
>
> The first page has an ERN calculator, and you need
> to put it in the edit mode to use it. It is quite
> useful. The next page is the database page.
> The published CCS data for new RX10 Eternity
> Blanks are not included in this data base.
> Norm

Date: December 16, 2021 09:00PM

I think the data base still belongs to Gib, but he put out as a public data base for anyone access and use. He was an engineer and came up with the ERN calculator, which I thought was really good since ERN calculations are not an intuitive process. I bookmarked the link when he presented it here on rodboard and it has been there ever since. He has not participated on rod board for several years. I would think that adding a link to your website would be the best way for interested people to access the CCS data for the NFC blanks. If people want the data they can copy it and archive it themselves.
Norm

Date: December 17, 2021 07:03AM

Thanks, Aleks, for the fine chart and the data. Good work. I had asked for CCS data many months ago, you said it was available, but when I asked for details because I couldn't find it, I received no answer. Now I (we) have it.

Thank you too, Norm, for providing the info that you have.

Now, NFC, to document how fast the recovery is on the new glass, true natural frequency data on some of those blanks and the "traditional" glass blanks will be appreciated. And true natural frequency data on the graphite blanks would be helpful.

Date: December 17, 2021 09:42AM

The NFC chart was added to the library by Tom about 5 yrs ago.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Date: December 17, 2021 10:49AM

Yes, Norman, I have been using it since it was posted by Tom. It is a very valuable chart.

Date: December 17, 2021 10:55AM

I really like Gib’s ERN calculator, really quite easy to use.
Norm

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster