I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Fuji black guides
Posted by: Kevin Peterson (104.0.217.---)
Date: December 13, 2021 02:50PM

I know pretty much all of the black fuji SS guides were discontinued due to supposed environmental concerns of the manufacturing. Has anyone heard if they are ever planning on retooling and offering black guides again? It seems like having a line of black (non titanium) guides would be in their best interest as a company.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Fuji black guides
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2021 03:22PM

From what I can tell Fuji doesn't seem to care what we want like Titanium Alkonite guides that they discontinued also. I would look at Seaguide from Rod Builders Warehouse, they have a black line that is very comparable to Fuji. They are good quality guides and I have been using them since they first became available (about 3 years).

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: December 13, 2021 04:52PM

I noticed St. Croix is using SeaGuide guides and reel seats on their new Seage Surf series rods.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: December 13, 2021 06:54PM

Alps XN’s for the win

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 14, 2021 12:28AM

I really appreciate the performance advantages of lightweight guides. Paradoxically, a fair proportion of my fishing is in remote places where durability and reliability is critical. On a few applicable rods, that I use the most, I am hesitantly willing to cough up Torzite money. On the rest, the durability and snag-proof qualities of the SeaGuide offerings with silicon nitride rings is a perfect choice. That material is very crack resistant and slick.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 15, 2021 09:34AM

Kendall,
The two ring materials you mentioned are the same, Torzite is SiN, it's been around being used in guides for decades.

Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: December 15, 2021 04:01PM

As far as we know, Fuji has no plans to reintroduce black guides.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 15, 2021 07:28PM

Jim, I hope you don't mind my saying, but I find that very disappointing. The BC grey is a nice color and goes very well on a blank with a natural finish, but black goes with everything !!!

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 02:49AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kendall,
> The two ring materials you mentioned are the same,
> Torzite is SiN, it's been around being used in
> guides for decades.

Yes, I know that. The SeaGuides cost less in titanium than do Torzites, and their SiN rings are sold for even less mounted in SS frames.

Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: December 16, 2021 10:21AM

David, you are not the only one disappointed about black. It was very popular. Fortunately, the vast majority of builders and factories have moved to BC without too much trouble. Fuji spent almost 2 years trying to locate a DURABLE black finish that could match the original finish without violating pending environmental regulations. When none measured up to the original they developed the CC, BC and GM treatment.

And by the way, we have never been told the formulation for TORZITE® (so it's interesting that someone outside the company would know) but we can look at the chart and know it's substantially better than SiN. While TORZITE® and SiN are roughly equal in hardness and specific gravity, TORZITE® dissipates heat considerably better than SiN and blows SiN away on Bending Strength (how much the ring will flex before breaking - almost double SiN). Also, TORZITE® durability is achieved in a slimmer, lighter ring, and polished to a higher level of smoothness than any ring available. In my experience, TORZITE® is slippery, light, and tough.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 16, 2021 10:43AM

I like the new BC finish better than the old black finish. I also think it is more durable, I.e. it doesn’t wear off as easily as the black finish did. I’ve been quite happy with BC finish. Just my opinion.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 17, 2021 08:48PM

I also favor the BC finish, to me it looks more elegant than plain black.

Posted by: Derek Beamer (---)
Date: December 19, 2021 05:51PM

American Tackle offers black frame guides. MicroWave, MicroWave Air, Vortex Air, TiForged, TiForged Air, Titanium Pentalite, Delta, Virtus XHD, lots of options with black finish.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2021 06:39PM

Derek Beamer Wrote:
> American Tackle offers black frame guides.
> MicroWave, MicroWave Air, Vortex Air, TiForged,
> TiForged Air, Titanium Pentalite, Delta, Virtus
> XHD, lots of options with black finish.

This is true. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I don't like how American Tackle doesn't list guide measurements for each model of guide. If they listed the guide heights for their Tiforged line, I would try them out over Fuji. But I don't have extra money to buy one of each size to plan a layout.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2021 01:49AM

American Tackle has all of the guide specs (including height) listed in their catalog, pages 87-103 in the 2021 catalog.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: December 20, 2021 10:49AM

Richard Bowers Wrote:
> American Tackle has all of the guide specs
> (including height) listed in their catalog, pages
> 87-103 in the 2021...

How did I miss that? I browsed through the guides at the beginning of the catalog and never saw the guide spec in the index. That's my fault. Thanks for showing me that

Posted by: Kevin Landers (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: December 29, 2021 11:27AM

Also remember Zachary you can just give us a call! Between Austin, Alex, and Don they know pretty much all of it by heart!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster