I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fiberglass rod repair
Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 06:43PM

A friend call me today to ask if I could repair an old fiberglass rod that has some sentimental value to his family about 10' from the end the fiberglass has a split / delamination. Is it possible to do a repair. Maybe coat the area with epoxy or maybe better to maybe put a size A thread wrap over the split. Looks to be a 6ft medium wt spinning rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fiberglass rod repair
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 06:52PM

I think you mean ten inches from the end. A photo would be helpful, but don't give up on it. We have a lot of expertise here. Give more info/photo/details.

Date: December 07, 2021 08:30PM

Thanks Michael I have a pic and I will try to add it but I have never posted a pic on here

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 09:50PM

Mike,
2X Michael’s reply. Sentimental value can override practicality but without a detailed description and photos, it is a crap-shoot for anyone to assist.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2021 12:33PM

i hope i,m wrong but i think the split just keeps progressing down the rod if it,s still used..and all the added weight changes the rods feel alot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2021 12:42PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 08, 2021 10:18PM

A long-passed friend of mine showed me a very good repair he did on a rod his Dad used when he wrote for Gray’s Sporting Journal. He took apart two strands from fiberglass roving. He wrapped them in an x-wrap starting about six inches below the split and extending that distance above. If you have ever seen an old Daiwa Heartland rod with the Kevlar X-wrap it was like that. Kevlar isn’t transparent like the fiberglass strands are, however. The flat glass strands lay well and their transparent nature mostly disappears under epoxy. He would occasionally catch a small stream trout for memories and put the rod away for his modern selections. I would not recommend putting much stress into a rod with this type of repair. It worked for an expert flyshop owner, angler, and outfitter under very controlled conditions.

Date: December 09, 2021 11:21AM

Thanks Kendall. This rod isn't really to be used the person just wants to keep it as a family momento. That sounds like a repair that would not be that noticeable.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: December 09, 2021 03:29PM

Mike,
Now that you have told us “This rod isn't really to be used the person just wants to keep it as a family momento”, Kendall offers a good method to repair the rod. However FG roving is quite large, maybe why his friend “... took apart two strands from fiberglass roving”. Rather than using the FG, consider using natural “colored” silk thread; silk is one of the strongest natural fibers, will probably “disappear” better after coated with finish and will be generally easier to deal with. Before actually wrapping the area, work some epoxy down into the split(s) of the blank. I employed silk thread for a similar repair and it turned out very good, even strong.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 04:27PM

and instead of coating with epoxy maybe use permagloss to get a less bulky repair look..

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 09, 2021 09:09PM

I would probably go with silk over roving strands if the rod doesn’t need to be used. The full roving would create a “cigar effect”.

Date: December 10, 2021 08:45PM

Awesome tips guys. my daughter / Tech support is out of town till sunday I will get a pic posted then and you guys can see exactly what the issue is. It is more like a delamination. I am waithing for a couple more pics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster