I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Source of casting competence
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 06, 2021 09:23AM

There is plenty of evidence the fly caster and not the fly rod is the source of casting accuracy, no matter what advertisers claim. I suspect the same is true of casting distance. I am certain the fly fisher, not the tackle, is the source of fly fishing success, regardless of how much is spent for tackle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Source of casting competence
Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2021 09:31AM

Agree.....my cousin keeps spending money on new sets of golf clubs.....trying to buy a swing. Same thing.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 09:36AM

practice!

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (151.181.90.---)
Date: December 06, 2021 10:37AM

True 100% on practice and performance.
Kinda funny thou they do make offsets, different lies, longer and short lengths. There is always the comfort level physically and mentally.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: December 06, 2021 01:21PM

This is really, really, really getting old Phil.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 02:41PM

Dang those advertisers, they keep throwing us curveballs..is that better Phil..lol.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 05:31PM

As soon as I saw "Source of casting competence" I knew the author would be Phil. Phil, let it go. Start to enjoy life again. Your crusade is futile. Most of us understand it. Think!

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 12:51AM

I believe that physics work, and thus a rod with a faster or more powerful reflex would add some distance to a well timed cast relative to one with slower reflex. I don’t think it is a meaningful amount in most real fishing conditions, and this certainly isn’t “free distance”. You have to put more work into loading these kinds of rods to get the extra distance. We know this as a famous apple-man stated that physics requires an equal force in the opposite direction. The Thomas and Thomas Horizon II series hit my fishing preferences the best. These offered decent line speeds without having to be worked as hard as the rods that offered more. They still had enough flexibility to protect leaders while offering good sensitivity and hook sets. Rods that generate the fastest line speeds do so at the cost of other important fishing parameters. The only truly free lunch appears to be when an apple bruises a loafing man’s head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2021 12:53AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: December 07, 2021 02:06AM

Phil is trying to convince everybody that maximum performance comes down to the angler and the quality of the tool he is equipped with has nothing to do with achieving maximum performance which is complete and utter nonsense and he knows it . Both are equally important , having one and not the other will always be a dismal failure.

Date: December 07, 2021 10:03AM

good stuff Kendall, thanks...

Date: December 07, 2021 11:11AM

Lefty could throw a full fly line with no rod - just his arm and his hands - and with enviable accuracy, too. Every bit of the energy for his casts was generated by his arm, since he had no rod. Every bit of energy- line speed is generated by the angler, NOT the rod. The only way a rod can produce energy is to burn the rod. Apparently this fact offends some anglers. My apologies. If my posts offend then ignore them or refute them. Madison Ave. advertising hacks claim that buying something expensive will make you competent at some task or skill. Good luck. BTW: Rods do NOT generate line speed. Rods are class three levers which require a power source to even move, let alone cast a line.

Date: December 07, 2021 11:22AM

Phil, why do we use tools, why do we even need tools..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 11:54AM

Right, Ben. Phil, neither do hammers, scew drivers, hand saws, and baseball bats generate energy. Is it possible that tools let us utilize the energy that we generate more effectively? If the rod is so unimporant then why can I not cast 30 feet with just my arm? And the last time I tried to drive a nail without my hammer. . . .it was ugly.

Is it possible that all tools are not equal? That maybe I might be able to cast farther with a 9 foot rod than I can with a 6 foot rod? That I might be able to drive a larger nail with a heavier hammer? Even though neither hammer generates energy?

Is it possible that all tool users are not equal? That maybe this tool works better for me and that one for you? I wonder why, in spite of being able to cast with only his arm, Lefty chose to use rods when fishing? And probably a different rod in Maine than he used in Belize?

Did any of you guys ever see an advertisement for a fishing rod that claimed that the rod being advertised generated energy?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 01:53PM

Responding to Ewaniki's posts is a serious waste of time !!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2021 03:09PM

Rods, nor any other hand tool, produce energy, but they do store, release and/or transfer energy that has been imparted to them.

These sort of posts really belong on a fly fishing forum somewhere.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 04:09PM

I have a solid grip and my wrist and arm motion develops maximum swing and energy transfer also my aim is perfect but somehow I cant drive a railroad spike with my tack hammer??????????

I have no problem driving tacks, may be I am not biting down on my tongue hard enough

Date: December 07, 2021 05:40PM

I can't afford a fly rod which will make me a really good fly caster: a rod which will cast straight enough to make me an accurate caster or a rod which generates enough energy to let me make long casts. You have uncovered my guilty secrets. If only I could afford a $1,200 fishing pole . . .

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2021 08:50AM

phil, you can build one yourelf better than that..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 08, 2021 06:31PM

Did anyone else note that Phil said "a rod which GENERATES enough energy" ? Phil, I thought your whole point, was the rods DO NOT GENERATE energy!!! You have been a unmasked as a fraud!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 08, 2021 09:18PM

Never been happier to have absolutely ZERO interest in fly fishing. Lol

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster