I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Homemade fishing ornaments and Gen 4
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 05, 2021 02:17PM

Off topic, but wanted to share. I drew out 5 point stars on plain paper, and laid a piece of parchment paper over the top. I painted stars using the visible stars from underneath, with mixed Gen 4. I colored the epoxy in three mixing cups, one red, one green, and one black. After painting on the stars, I sprinkle with glitter, and let dry for about 20 hours. I then painted a second coat, this time clear, over the dried stars. Let dry another 20 hours. This I did with my 7 year old grandson. The stars peeled off of the parchment paper, but came out very nice. We now have two homemade tree ornamentss, one made by my grandson, one made by me.

Depending on your drawing/painting talents, you could make pretty much whatever you wanted, like a sleigh, a fisherman, a fish, a Santa, a snowman, a fishing rod, etc.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homemade fishing ornaments and Gen 4
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 05, 2021 02:48PM

Robert,
Good idea with the ornaments and even better, doing it with your grandson. I have used thread finish, PG, butt cord and other materials for numerous non-rod building venues. Maybe the entire world revolves around the rod building industry lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: December 05, 2021 06:59PM

One can do a similar thing on butt cap inserts. Specs can be painted underneath a final clear-coat.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 07, 2021 09:06AM

When I worked for Lockheed, we used two part epoxy to partially fill Cannon plugs, to prevent ocean water from entering the electronics. The epoxy had an expiration date. If that date was past, the cans couldn't be used and were tossed into the trash. Our supervisor said we could take expired cans home. I took seversl pint cans of both resin and hardener home. I got mad one day and punched the tailight of my van, breaking it. I searched all over for a plastic tsilight lens, and they were pricey.. I took off the tailight, and made a wax molding of it. I mixed epoxy with red food coloring, poured it into the mold, and had a usable tailight lens again. I also made decorstive table weights, with sea shells, and autum leaves embedded in them. Epoxy is so much mpore than a glue (though it's wonderful for that). I wish i could still get it for free. I used to make a holder for tools, for resin syringes, and many other tings. These christmas decorations are simply an extension of that thought. You might want to use something hceaper than Gen 4 though.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster