I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather inlay tip
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 05, 2021 07:32AM

It could be common knowledge among those who do many feather inlays, but I didn't realize it until recently-if one is using Flex Coat CP when laying down the inlay, and they blow it and want to do it over, the inlay can be carefully peeled off by hand and the blank cleaned up with alcohol. Probably soap and water would work too, but I had alcohol handy, and thought it would have less chance of leaving any contaminants. I don't know if there are any blanks out there today which have a finish that would be affected by alcohol, but the Point Blank came out looking like new. And the new inlay looks much better than the first one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather inlay tip
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 05, 2021 01:42PM

I believe that Flex Coat CP is water based, so it should clean up with soap and water.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 02:17PM

Michael,
I am doubly surprised; firstly, I thought feather inlays would be too much bling for you and, secondly, that you would share the first mistake in your life with the rest of us lol. Impressed and intrigued with feather inlays I’ve seen, I have toyed (or is that toid) with making my own but just haven’t gotten around to it ... yet. I would love to see a photo.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 05, 2021 03:01PM

I knew that it was water based, so I suspected it might dissolve after having dried/cured. Mark, I did share my first mistake, this one I'm mentioning. :-)

Feather inlays can be tasteful, not gaudy, and I really like them because under epoxy, they are really beautiful. I'll try to remember to post a photo when done. Christmas gift rod for a friend.

Date: December 06, 2021 07:50AM

Mark, here 'tis, the upper one is the one I stripped off and then redid.

Not a great photo, they look better in person.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 06, 2021 02:46PM

Michael,
Thanks for sharing and WOW, those are really nice!!! Although I have been impressed and intrigued with feather inlays, I can’t really explain why I have not tried it other than not knowing a good source for feathers and, then, knowing which ones to purchase.
How much did those feather inlays alter the frequency of the blank lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 06, 2021 05:29PM

Thanks, Mark. If you want to get into it, let me know by email. I can tell you what I know. Yes, feather availability/sources is a challenge.

The feather inlays altered the true natural frequency exactly as much as you thought they would.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 07, 2021 05:07PM

Michael,
Ah ha! I thought so lol!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2021 06:34PM

Nice very nice work in the photos. Kudos!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster