I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Potential problem: Recoil guides and saltwater
Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 01:49PM

Have a question about a saltwater fly rod build that I want to make as light as possible especially toward the tip. I am using recoil guides with minimal length wraps. Now, for additional weight savings in the top two sections I am thinking about using Permagloss instead of 2 part epoxy finish. I have done this for a couple of freshwater builds and it works great. However, this one is for the salt! The salt will find its way under the wraps as the guide feet gaps are not completely closed with 2-3 coats of Permagloss. Would that eventually make the titanium alloy corrode even if I soak the sections in freshwater after each use? Would that happen within next 5-10 years assuming 1-2 7-day saltwater trips per year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Potential problem: Recoil guides and saltwater
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:08PM

No problems with the recoils. I will recommend the black pearl finish. I I am no expert but would no worry about recoils and salt, but the potential salt build up and the effect on the threads. I find the Pearl recoil tip top a bit heavy and you will save a little weight by finding another brand tip top, maybe more than skipping two part epoxy. Another thing, recoils require a bit longer wraps due to the longer foot than Snake Brand guides and the finished rod will weight more or less the same, from my experience, though recoils are the most saltwater proof.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 03:16PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 04:58PM

Titanium will not corrode in saltwater. It is, like most metals, susceptible to MIC (Microbiologically influenced corrosion).

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 10:20AM

Regardless of components I rinse my fly rods thoroughly with fresh water Before I put them in a bag or a tube. I have 30-year-old rods built for fresh water that have been used in salt water off-and-on during those years and are none the worse for it. But, if you forget to rinse just ONCE . . .

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 05, 2021 02:05PM

Tin saltwater because it doesn't corrode, is very durable, and strong. We used it at Lockheed Titanium develops a thin oxide coating that protects it from corrosion. ON a guide though, the titanium won't corrode; however, any moisture that gets under, and into the wraps can cause degradation of the epoxy, and/or wrapping thread, which can cause problems. I would advise unsing a low build Gen 4 tupe epoxy, wmaking sure to fill the tunnel completely to seal it from water entry. A couple of light layers won't add enough weight to make a difference.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 05, 2021 04:35PM

Regardless of guides used, I would apply as many coats of finish (permagloss in this case) as needed to completely encapsulate the thread wraps.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 06, 2021 01:04PM

Roman,
I suggest that if you use your normal guide coating epoxy or perma gloss, you will likely not be able to tell the difference in actual use

Save your self to get extra product and techniques, when none are needed.

Aoso, for most folks, whether your use recoil or some other slightly heavier guide - they will not really notice a difference in using either rod.

Of course, the scale will tell the difference, but your body is not an electronic scale that can sense the difference of 2 grams of weight.

But, by all means, do what works well for you and your uses of the fishing rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (151.181.90.---)
Date: December 15, 2021 10:23AM

good info folks. I put black REC's on my salt 10 wt, never even thought about it. If you don't rise rods and reels after salt use. Its a you issue 101 care. The reels need more attention in my view than the rods. I also try to eliminate any tunnels or lack of coverage with epoxy, I went up the blank more than just covering the wraps.
I would notice if I was 2 grams light, just saying!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster