I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass casting rod stripper guide help
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 12:52PM

So I bought a Rodgeeks 70mm s glass rod for balsa baits. Guides are setup and I’ve test casted and static loaded the blank. Simple spiral setup.

Casting is awesome everything I wanted. However under static load the blank seems to never stop bending. Line through the guides under load appears to be spot on. However right now my stripper is 18” from the line guide of my reel and the line is touching the blank under load between the reel and stripper. The load is a gallon of water with me putting a solid bend in the rod.

How close is too close for a stripper guide? I’m just a hobby builder and never had a issue like this before

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass casting rod stripper guide help
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 04:13PM

Don't worry, it works. There is no problem with the line touching the blank under load, especially that load. Too close is when it doesn't cast well; yours casts well, so it's not too close.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:00PM

Jason,
If you are referring to a Rod Geeks SG70MM, that blank is rated for 6-14lb. Loading that blank with 1 gallon of water (>8lb) is way overloading it!!! Just for laughs-and-giggles, I loaded my 40-100lb glass Seeker with 1 gallon of water, and the weight put a bend into the butt section.
Placing the butt guide 18in from the reel should be quite close to optimum. While fishing the rod, if the line starts cutting into your hand or fingers holding the fore grip will be an indication you are overloading it lol.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.sub-174-253-64.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:19PM

Just to clarify I didn’t pick up the gallon. rod is not powerful enough for that. I just used it for a anchor point to deflect the rod for static testing

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:24PM

for my glass rods i like about 14 inches

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:25PM

You could always go to the next larger sized guide for the butt position. Leave it where it is. The larger guide will stand just a bit taller and might give you just enough additional height to keep the line off the blank under full load.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:28PM

Why do anything? It is working just fine.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---.sub-174-253-64.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2021 06:57PM

Yes mark the sg70mm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 10:53PM

I had one of the old St. Croix SG I S glass 70 MM blanks built up many years ago I had an 8 inch rear grip on it and the first guide from the reel was 57 inches from the tip I believe. A Fuji Alconite BLNAG 10, or 12.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 10:56PM

Jason,
With your confirmation of the blank, I agree with Michael “It is working just fine” = fish it. I am confident that the reason the line was “touching the blank '' was simply due to overloading. Although I do not think you need it, while increasing the ring size may raise the line higher off the blank / grip, a better approach would be to use a higher frame with the same size ring = casting reels do not require as large diameter butt guide as do spinning reels.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 07:48AM

The stripper is a size 10 followed by all size 5 to the tip utilizing a simple spiral approach. Rear grip is 9.5” followed up with a ecs seat.

Love how the rod cast. Never had a blank this soft before though. All my past crankbait rods whether glass or graphite have been higher powered rods hence my reason for choosing this blank for balsa duties.

For my own ocd I’m going to move it to 16” from the reel face and see how it does. In past builds for casting rods usually 20” has been set it and forget it.

Also on the past I’ve used the RV6 but I had these size 10 strippers from some salvaged rods. Also trying a new tiptop utilizing a atc guide for the first time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 07:55AM by Jason Gofron.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 08:14AM

i grew wth glass and don,t recali butt guides out that far, not till graphite came along and rods got longer..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster