I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G4 Finish Issues
Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 08:39AM

Been trying G4 epoxy for the last six or seven rods with mixed feelings. When it’s good it’s great, very easy to work with great flow very clear very smooth. I have recently been running into an issue with micro bubbles that will not release. They’re not bubbles coming from the threads as I can see them after the finish has been mixed. Spread on tinfoil let rest even try some heat and the micro bubbles remain.

Another issue I discovered this morning was on a section of marbling it does not want to cure. Used the same amount of pigment I would typically use with flex coat. Any insight would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G4 Finish Issues
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2021 09:01AM

Too much pigment can retard the epoxy's ability to set and cure. How much is too much depends on the particular epoxy.

The weather has gotten cooler in most places so this could lead to less bubble release activity, depending on whether or not your shop's temperature has likewise gotten cooler.

Best to send these type questions to the manufacturer.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 11:48AM

Make sure your room temp is 70-75. That will ensure you get optimal results.

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (73.61.14.---)
Date: December 03, 2021 03:02PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make sure your room temp is 70-75. That will
> ensure you get optimal results.

Yea temp is great. small shop easy to regulate.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: December 03, 2021 03:22PM

Your best avenue of approach is to talk directly with the manufacturer. As they developed the product the have the most expertise and experience with it. They are great people and will get you taken care of.

Posted by: Matt Crowe (---.sol.spitwspots.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 02:48AM

I used to use high build gen4, but then I switched to gen4 low build. The low build goes on and lays down nicer I feel. Never had a problem with either of them. I use a CRB epoxy mixer and my shop is always at 77 degrees. No bubbles no cure problems.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 07:59AM

if you add anything to your finish epoxy such as pigments, solvents,even heat, it turns into a crap shoot..lol. meaning the epoxy will not cure to the hardness the formulater designed and there is less resistance to scuffing and wear in general..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 07:14PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:04PM

Spoke with Andy from G4 who was very helpful. Process is spot on just recommends part a being a bit warmer. Going to try putting that in my warmer before mixing. That being said, did 3 rods this morning and mix had micro bubbles, but all released before getting on the rod. Looked mint.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster