I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions for throwing Doc's Goofy jigs/Pompano jigs
Posted by: Tyler Reinert (---)
Date: December 02, 2021 10:41PM

I'm looking to build a new rod for jigging pompano. Jigs range from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. I'll mainly be throwing 3/8 and 1/2oz but I'd like to be able to cast a decent distance with a lighter jig when needed. When I work the jig I use sharp pops to snap the jig off the sand and that seems to be the most effective action. So I'd like something that loads up quickly and imparts action on the jig without absorbing the energy. Also I jig from boats and jetties so 7-7'6 would be best seeing as longer rods become unwieldy when trying to net fish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions for throwing Doc's Goofy jigs/Pompano jigs
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:40AM

I really like the G Loomis GWR901S for your needs, and Lamiglas made the LP904, it was a popular rod down south, faster than many popping blanks. Todd Vivian who was the designer for Lamiglas some years ago now works at Mudhole, since he liked the LP904 so much I bet they also have a great blank in their MHX line up, maybe you can get a heads up from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 03:49AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 04, 2021 08:25PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll ask the guys at MH as well next time I'm there. I built a rod off a $15 clearance blank from MH that works great but I have no idea what brand or model it is. Hopefully I can find the blanks you mentioned.

Posted by: Chris Scott (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 10:06PM

Rodgeeks Carbon 2 Inshore Series C2SW70MLF or C2SW70MLM depending on your preference for moderate or fast action.
I’ve built both for Goofy Jigs and they perform as well as SCIV or SCV blanks.

Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: December 10, 2021 12:59PM

The American Tackle Bushido Mag bass would be a great option. The blanks has a fast action and are very sturdy the 7'3 8-15lbs with a set of microwave guide would be a great setup.

Date: December 14, 2021 12:04PM

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to go to MH soon and will look at what they have in stock I built a Bushido years ago and have been really happy with it and my friend and I just built a Bushido 8'11 Snook rod and we're impressed with the blank. If they don't have the Mag Bass in stock I'll try a rod geeks blank.

Posted by: Josh Hopkins (---)
Date: December 28, 2021 03:05PM

Stryker's SM795 or SM794 built for twitching jigs in that weight range. They have a fast tip and are built to control fish in tight areas and make accurate casts around structure.
www.strykerrods.us

SM795 5.5 0.57 2.65 8-17lb 1/4-1oz fast medium 7'9"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster