I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC - Mag Medium vs M or MH
Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 12:17PM

Goal: Build a night time spinnerbait rod. I'd really like to buy NFC to support an American business and have had good luck with their blanks in the past.

We fish a lot of night tournaments during the summer and I throw a lot of 3/4-1&1/4 oz, big thumping spinnerbaits. I want a 7' rod with some flex to keep fish from throwing a heavy lure and to make semi-accurate roll casts, but it needs to handle a heavy bait on 17lb-20lb fluorocarbon. I've looked at some descriptions and flex pictures on NFC's website trying to decide which blank will suit me best and cannot make up my mind. I only build rods as a hobby and am not familiar with the numerical load specs of blanks that I've seen be used in descriptions on this forum. Can anyone with experience give me a practical description of the mag medium vs. MH as far as applications go? What are you throwing on the mag medium?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC - Mag Medium vs M or MH
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 30, 2021 01:24PM

For NFC listings think of the last number before the hyphen as a power indicating number. A bass blank that ends in (1) is ultralight (9) is xheavy for example. The MB7108 and 7109 are both flippin sticks and the 7109 has more power. Where the DS 721 is light power.

Medium Heavy will be slightly stronger back bone than Medium mag which is a term loosely used for in between medium and MH. On the board most people don't use those terms because you cannot define "M, MH etc" with any standard.

I would personally suggest the MB 765 x-ray NEO for the application you describe. It has a strong back bone with a tip that will help keep load on the fish with the heavy spinnerbaits. I have made a few just for the parameters you seek.

A.P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2021 01:26PM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 30, 2021 05:53PM

Mag medium is a term I've seen most on west coast designed rods and blanks. My experiences with them gives me a tip that loads like a medium blank, but more butt power than you'd expect, approaching Med Hvy on some blanks, in other words faster tipped rods. They come in all powers so you can have mag light as well as mag hvy.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 10:06PM

NFC ratings are kinda hard to follow sometimes because they group all the rods of a certain construction together. A saltwater medium may be higher power than a bass heavy. I would ignore the medium, MH, mag medium and just look at the lure weight and action. I have a delta SW 764 that I use for smaller musky baits. I've been very happy with it and think it would do well for your intended application.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: December 01, 2021 02:11AM

I'm very familiar with St. Croix's medium heavy power rated blanks and it looks like the closest match for that in the NFC line would be rated heavy . Just a guess of course based on many rating St. Croix blanks as having a bit more power than competitor blanks in the same designation.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 01, 2021 06:50PM

I'd take a look at the MB 709 IM blank. NFC calls it mag heavy. It's rated for 3/8 - 2 oz baits with a mod fast action. I have a rod built that blank (soon to be two rods because I have one of those blanks on the way to me as I write this) that I use for flipping and pitching. I've also used it for Carolina rigs, as well as spinnerbaits. Nothing as heavy as you mentioned, but it will definitely handle those kind of weights with no problem at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use if for what you're looking to do.

I love the mod fast action, especially when I have a big fish by the boat. I don't feel like I have to rush the fish into the boat because the action is more forgiving when a fish makes a big surge on a short line. Sensitivity isn't what an X ray blank would have, but it's got excellent sensitivity.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 01, 2021 08:10PM

You are getting great advice.

I haven't tried the NEO line but they do look more powerful than the non NEO's in same rating. So what Aaron is suggesting is likely perfect.

I'd say the SJ/MB736 is good for 3/4 but 1.25 oz is over the top if I'm casting for distance.

I have the MB7109 Xray. I think it would be a rocket launcher with 1 oz. I bought it for a totally different purpose but I agree with David. Type of blank I'd feel fine casting 1.25 ounce, dragging a 7# bass through salad, and boat flipping him at night with money on the line. I mean heck, I bought it for salt water bottom fishing for 10-20# snapper. It is light in hand and moderate fast in action.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jason Haney (---.200.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 01, 2021 09:21PM

Much appreciated to all. I have a NEO that I love for big cranks but was hoping for something a little shorter for more accurate casting. I'd considered cutting 3" off the tip and 3 more inches off the butt of a NEO to shorten to 7' but I like the idea of that moderate action David Baylor mentioned above. May give the MB709 a try... need to buy a plain ticket, fly across the country and get my hands on all of these blanks before making a purchase.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 02, 2021 07:55AM

Jason Haney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Much appreciated to all. I have a NEO that I love
> for big cranks but was hoping for something a
> little shorter for more accurate casting. I'd
> considered cutting 3" off the tip and 3 more
> inches off the butt of a NEO to shorten to 7' but
> I like the idea of that moderate action David
> Baylor mentioned above. May give the MB709 a
> try... need to buy a plain ticket, fly across the
> country and get my hands on all of these blanks
> before making a purchase.

The NEO can be cut down to the length you desire without losing properties. It is straight taper after 6'6" IIRC. Cutting down to 7' won't even get close to the start of the taper. My heavy spinnerbait rod is 6'10" all cut from the butt. No need to take any from the tip.

A.P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2021 08:00AM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 02, 2021 05:26PM

If CCS numbers mean anything to you as far as equating numbers to power and action, I did CCS tests on the rod built on the MB 709 blank. IP: 1045 grams. AA" 69 - 70. As I mentioned above, my primary use of the rod is flipping and pitching for bass in heavy cover.

I normally fish baits that probably total somewhere around 3/8 oz. That would be for the bullet weight I use, and the bait combined. With those kind of weights the tip doesn't load particularly well, so it's more your pitching ability and reel set up, than it is help from the tip loading.

The sweet spot pitching wise, would be a 3/8 oz weedless jig, with a chunk trailer. That's about where the tip starts loading really well. It casts baits that size and heavier, very well. But what I really love about it, along with the more forgiving action for fish at the boat, is its' power. As the CCS numbers show, it's got some serious power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster