I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bottom bouncing rod blank
Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: November 29, 2021 02:23PM

Looking for a blank for bottom bouncing walleyes. Here is the description the guy gave me…

“This rod(s) will be used 100% for bottom bouncing for walleye. I generally use 2-3 oz bottom bouncers. Ideally a 7' rod (1 piece). I'm open to slightly longer or shorter, but not too much. The rod has to load up/bend the first 1/3rd - 1/2 so the walleye can eat the crawler harness before he feels it. Then a firm backbone of the rod to set the hook.”

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bottom bouncing rod blank
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2021 04:51PM

Immortal popping 7' H moderate fast

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---)
Date: November 29, 2021 09:45PM

Dave,

We sell A LOT of these blanks for that application - the HS760

[northforkcomposites.com]

You can shorten the blank by trimming a few inches off the butt.

Aleks

David Luttig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking for a blank for bottom bouncing walleyes.
> Here is the description the guy gave me…
>
> “This rod(s) will be used 100% for bottom
> bouncing for walleye. I generally use 2-3 oz
> bottom bouncers. Ideally a 7' rod (1 piece). I'm
> open to slightly longer or shorter, but not too
> much. The rod has to load up/bend the first 1/3rd
> - 1/2 so the walleye can eat the crawler harness
> before he feels it. Then a firm backbone of the
> rod to set the hook.”
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 01:52PM

I've built several BB rods the last couple years for tournaments and after my buddy's fish with my BB rods they have me build them one. I've been using Mudholes CRB color blanks in the MH. 7'6" front rod holder and 6'6' back rod holder. I use a different color for each rod so I can call out the color of rod with a fish. I like Winn grips or texalium handles. The rods hold up very well and are inexpensive.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 30, 2021 05:55PM

Like Scott my backbouncing rods are just my MH bass rods, nothing different or special.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2021 09:52PM

Agree that the CRB is more than adequate, and also agree MH is the way to go in that one. The immortal I suggested above would be an awesome bottom bouncer rod, but who really needs an awesome rod for that? It does have a much more sensitive and supple tip than the CRB if your customer is picky about those things.

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (151.181.90.---)
Date: December 06, 2021 10:47AM

I like the info in this thread and how people bottom bounce with different tackle, especially the amount of weight. I use an old ugly stick (med) with braid and bait caster. It loads well even with lighter loads 1 oz. or less. We back troll with the heavier bouncers and I have stiffer rods for that.
You guys use socks/bags/ sea anchors?

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.ccgov.net)
Date: December 06, 2021 01:48PM

I troll with a 9.9 kicker and use the trolling motor to steer on a Lund 1875. I used the Ugly Sticks back in the day but didn't like them as much because of the weight of the rod on those days when you needed to feed the line back to the fish and hold the rod all day. I used a Jason Mitchell for years and it's about perfect and a lot of days gets pulled of the rod locker (Less and Less as I get better at building rods). I've been trying to match the Jason Mitchell as close to ever since.

My fishing partner says I should be using nothing but rod I built so that the new goal. I troll with 4oz bouncers in the front rod holder and 3oz in the back rod holder. Reels are the Diawa Lexa 100 LC so they are light weight. Braid backed but mono to the lure about 100' of mono 12lb test. As said different color rod for each rod holder and different color line on each reel to speed up getting untangled. (wife and grandkids LOL). Most of the rods have Winn Grips, I started using Texalium handles and really like them. When the Winn wears out the rods will get Texalium next.

Custo power wrap model H 289L
Posted by: Kenneth Owen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 11:18AM

I have a old custom power wrap H289L that I need a fuse cap for can anyone tell me if anf where a guy can get one . Thanks info is much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster