I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FlexCoat CP Go Bad??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 01:49PM

Encountered something today with FlexCoat CP. Trying to figure the cause. I always gently stir the bottle then pour out a small amount into a cup. Fairly common for there to be a thicker layer on the bottom of the bottle but it mixes right in. After stirring I pour it and I got chunks coming out of the bottle like curdled milk. Of course I did not use it. Tried shaking the bottle and the chunks got smaller but never went back into solution.

Bottle was from this spring never froze stored around 70 degrees. Sealed in a plastic bag between uses. Any thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FlexCoat CP Go Bad??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2021 02:00PM

Toss it out and get new. Those chunks are the solids that make the CP work. Once they leave suspension you won't easily get them into it. What you're putting on your wraps from that bottle now is mostly just water.

Date: November 27, 2021 03:22PM

I had another bottle which was fine. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? My concern is a good chunk of the year, which coincides with the majority of my building, is too cold to order a new bottle. Don't want to keep a bunch on hand. Usually just an extra bottle is all I keep around. Would not be good if both bottles went bad as I cannot buy locally.

Date: November 27, 2021 04:06PM

Typically, CP doesn't just go bad. Takes some time and any fresh bottle should easily last a year. Not sure what happened to yours.

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2021 04:17PM

Flex Coat warns against it freezing…. Which it is late November….

Date: November 27, 2021 05:21PM

Typically, it your CP froze, the entire contents will turn to one lump of "rubber."

Date: November 27, 2021 05:49PM

Andrew McDermott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flex Coat warns against it freezing…. Which it
> is late November….

I have had this bottle since about mid may. Shop is never below 70 degrees or so. I am aware of the freezing. I never order after October or before May.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 28, 2021 08:47AM

Michael Sutheimer Wrote:
> I have had this bottle since about mid may. Shop
> is never below 70 degrees or so. I am aware of the
> freezing. I never order after October or before
> May.

Its possible you got an old bottle somewhere up the supply chain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2021 08:48AM by Chris Catignani.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 28, 2021 11:07AM

Of course you do have the option to NOT use CP.

I personally never use CP for any of my own rods and will not use CP on client's rods, unless they specifically request it.

I simply prefer the semi translucent finish that results by using nylon thread with no NCP or CP used during the build.

But, if you want to use CP, by all means order another bottle and go for it.

Best wishes.

Date: November 28, 2021 02:23PM

I like the look of no CP wraps. However I don't like the potential of the guide foot showing through the wrap with some colors of thread. NOCP thread looks terrible to me

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2021 05:12PM

Flex Coat Color Preserver should not be allowed to freeze and does go bad over time. It should last stored in a cool, dry, dark place for up to 2 years, however, we say to not buy a supply that you can't use in 1 year. This is best practice.

It is hard to say what happened in this case. I will offer you a new supply, just email me at flexcoat@gmail.com with you shipping address and I will make it happen. Thanks for choosing Flex Coat products.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster