I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Tip Issue
Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 26, 2021 05:02PM

Any one have a suggestion for adapting a oversized rod tip. The tube is too large for a 9 and is a bit to small for a 10mm tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Tip Issue
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 26, 2021 06:50PM

Tom,
Converting mm to inches, the difference between a 9mm and 10mm tube is ~.040in. Wrapping the tip (the length of the tip top tube) with size A thread (~.010in) and a very thin coat of thread finish should put just about in the middle of the range. Otherwise, simply pack the tube with tip top adhesive and center it as best possible over the blank tip. Hope this helps.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 26, 2021 07:47PM

Tom,
You sure it's not a Size 9 vs a size 10.

And I think you mean that the #9 is too small - and the size 10 is too large.
10mm is a huge tip diameter
A size 9 tip-top = 9/64" = 3.57 mm and a size 10 tip-top is 10/64" = 3.97 mm

Difference is probably too slight to use thread as a bushing.
Just fill tube up with hot glue and center it.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2021 07:49PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 27, 2021 01:08AM

Tom,
Any time that I have to use an oversized tube on a tip top, I simply wrap layers of thread until the gap is filled with thread. Note: I will do a couple of test wraps to determine exactly how many layers that I will need to fill the gap; then cut off the test wraps and do a final thread wrap with the correct number of layers and desired length. When I make these layers, I do it with a single length of thread. i.e. start at one end of the wrap and go back and forth to the tip of the blank and repeat as needed for the total space fill with thread. Then, do a single thread lock at the end of the layers and trim close before gluing on the tip top.

I normally put about a 2 inch wrap on the tip top anyway, so in this case I would just have one or more layers of thread on the tip top to fill the gap.

Then, I use normal hot melt glue to attach the tip top and I am good to go.

When applying finish I will apply the same finish to the tip wraps that I use on the rest of the thread wraps on the rod and everything matches.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: November 28, 2021 02:27PM

Tom,
I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I missed it , and Herb is totally correct on all accounts; 10mm = >3/8in, larger than many BUTT sections of lighter rods! The difference between a #9 (9/64in) and #10 (10/64in) is ~.016in = insignificant while attaching the tip top. Actually, there needs to be a bit of a gap between the blank and tube of the tip top to allow room for the adhesive to do its job.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 28, 2021 06:50PM

Hi Mark,
No need to feel embarrassed. We have all misinterpreted posts and came-up with responses keyed to the interpretation.
I know that I have had my share.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Wood (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 16, 2021 05:46PM

Thanks so much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster