I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC blank cracked?
Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 25, 2021 01:09PM

Firstly… Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Secondly…. I have an NFC X-ray blank ready to go for a build. It is unfinished type with the circular ridges running the blank. Last night I was inspecting it under light and noticed what I thought was a crack. This is a faint line that tracks in a spiral around the blank for about 8 inches 1/3 way back from the tip. Almost looks like a line was wrapped around it during manufacture, then removed. Seems like an unusual shape for a crack, unless it was twisted forcefully.
Any insights on this? Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC blank cracked?
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 25, 2021 03:10PM

I have no advise, or opinion as I would have to look at it. That being said, if it's a new, unused blank, with any defects, or suspected defects, send d it back for a free replacement part/section. It's up to the manufacturer to insure their product is without blemish, Any crack can cause failure down the road. CTS sent me a blank with a defect. i took pictures, sent the bad section back, and got a free replacement pert. Their is a waranty against manufacture defect with most rod companies.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2021 04:01PM

Even if you twisted the blank far enough to cause a crack, the crack would fall along the line of the matrix lay-up, which is tip to butt on these type rod blanks.A spiral type mark or line is something else entirely.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2021 04:09PM

see if it can be cleaned off.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2021 04:10PM

see if it can be cleaned off.

Date: November 25, 2021 06:27PM

Yeah, it doesn’t clean off. I uploaded a couple of photos if anyone is interested. The whole thing spirals about 18 inches down the blank. This is near the tip end , , the blank diameter is probably about 3 to 4 mm at this point. Unfortunately, I have the grips on the blank already, can’t send it back. Learned a lesson to inspect closely next time doing anything to it

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 25, 2021 07:08PM

I would bend it vigorously a few times and if it doesn't break, build it. If it does nothing lost. It's not doing you any good now. Fool me once...

Date: November 25, 2021 07:54PM

The fibers run tip to butt, not around the blank, so this is likely cosmetic.

Date: November 25, 2021 07:55PM

I just looked at your photo - you're seeing the edge of the pattern flag. All is well.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: November 25, 2021 08:08PM

I've seen stuff like you're explaining on some bare blanks , it turned out to be no issue at all . Since you got the handles on I assume you have the reel seat on also and if that's the case I would temporarily tape the guides on the blank then attach a reel and put it in a static bend . One line tied directly to the tip top and one coming from the reel and threaded through each guide and out the tip top down to a weighted object .

That should reveal if the bank in that area is compromised or not .

I've learned sometimes it's best to not look over things too closely because most of the time you will find something to nitpick about even things that nobody else would ever nitpick about or even notice , it can drive you nuts lol.

Date: November 25, 2021 08:22PM

Thank you Tom

Posted by: Rich Buchnowski (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 26, 2021 03:17PM

Yeah the NFC blank I just built had some odd surface cosmetics wear/finish. I flexed the rod before I built it and no problems. Its built it and I enjoy the end product.(Very light for a 10wt.) Wait time getting the blank it was longer than stated.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (50.106.16.---)
Date: November 26, 2021 03:40PM

Roger,

There is a warranty claim submission form on the website - can you send that in, and send our folks a picture?

info@northforkcomposites.com

Alex

roger gleason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firstly… Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
> Secondly…. I have an NFC X-ray blank ready to go
> for a build. It is unfinished type with the
> circular ridges running the blank. Last night I
> was inspecting it under light and noticed what I
> thought was a crack. This is a faint line that
> tracks in a spiral around the blank for about 8
> inches 1/3 way back from the tip. Almost looks
> like a line was wrapped around it during
> manufacture, then removed. Seems like an unusual
> shape for a crack, unless it was twisted
> forcefully.
> Any insights on this? Thx

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 26, 2021 10:36PM

One should always flex the blank 90 degrees before starting the build. If there are cracks or other structural defects they should show up then.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 27, 2021 01:13AM

Ditto on Phil's comment.

To flex the blank, I simply push the top portion of the blank into a carpeted floor until the blank has flexed to the 90 degree point to be sure that there are no latent issues with the blank. It only takes about 5 seconds to do this check on every new blank being used.

Best wishes.

Date: November 27, 2021 01:19PM

well, I kind of did that when I located the spine, but I don't think I flexed it to 90 degrees

Date: November 27, 2021 05:44PM

Aleks Maslov Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger,
>
> There is a warranty claim submission form on the
> website - can you send that in, and send our folks
> a picture?
>
> info@northforkcomposites.com
>
> Alex
>
Thanks Alex,
I bought it last March, just now started to build it. Looking at the warranty terms (>6 months) it would cost more to replace it ($110) than I initially paid for it… I have ordered 2 more since that time, will definitely take a close look at them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster