I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping on a bare carbon blank
Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: November 23, 2021 11:17AM

I am about to start a new build on a Med L . bare carbon blank. I am wondering does the slight ridges of the bare carbon create any issues with keeping threads tight together. I was wondering if I should lightly sand the area I am planning on wrapping and would that compromise the integrity of the rod at all. Are these better suited for color epoxy designs. Or should I just use a larger thread. Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping on a bare carbon blank
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 01:08PM

I've never had any issue wrapping in the usual fashion on blanks with ridges. Do it your usual way, and if you think it looks funny, cut it off and try something else. Light sanding probably won't hurt, but I don't think it is necessary and you have to be very careful.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2021 02:14PM

I don't think it'll bother you at all. I wouldn't sand anything until I was sure I needed to. Try a wrap or two and see what you think.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 02:28PM

there are many ugly sticks out there..i never heard any complaints or experienced any problems with those i built..just like wrapping any other rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 23, 2021 02:59PM

Mike,
I have not wrapped a blank with ridges so I cannot really give you an experienced reply. However, I have had minor issues with wrapping guides which have feet with “fluted” or “barbed” edges (to resist pull-out); the thread has a tendency to slide away from the rest of the wrap on the “downhill” side of the bumps in the foot yet automatically packs nicely on the “uphill” side. This leaves the completed wrap looking inconsistently packed and burnishing does not always correct and blend the gaps. If such occurs, backing off the thread tension and continual packing while wrapping helps immensely.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 23, 2021 04:45PM

Thanks for the replies. Good idea on doing a test section Tom.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 24, 2021 01:35PM

Mike,
Can you take and post a close up picture of the blank.

For myself, if there is anything over a bare blank that is not part of the structure of the blank, I would sand it off and after polishing the blank build the rod.

But, in your case, the ridges may be part of the structure of the blank and should not be touched.

Be safe

Date: November 25, 2021 05:55PM

I did a couple test wraps with size A thread and it was good. The rod is a Phenix blank 6'9"MF. Its nice and has great feel its the first blank Ive done that is the bare carbon finish. Right now the plan is a split grip with tiger wrap above the fore grip. Thanks guys for the info and suggestions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 25, 2021 07:27PM

Yeah, a lot of talk about the ridges, a lot of blanks have had them before without the fuss. I believe Scott fly rods are that way still, my Dan Craft Sig V 10 wt. the same, my Lamiglas Flame Tip plug rod, others already listed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster