I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Squeegee method" for blank painting?
Posted by: Scott Olson (---.sub-174-213-161.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2021 10:48AM

I have been thinking about and have done a little experimenting with using the squeegee method for painting blanks. Primarily ice rod blanks. I like a high vis tip however the OCD part of me doesn't like when the factory high vis doesn't align with a guide wrap. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the method? More importantly has advice on what to use for a film. I have tried a couple of types of rubber, and various glove materials. I and not finding the results I am looking for.
Thanks
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Squeegee method" for blank painting?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2021 12:58PM

Some time back we featured an article in the magazine showing a tool that surrounds an open cell foam pad which is saturated with a clear urethane. You just push the blank through it and you're done. You can make something similar and attempt to use a rubber or latex "drum" with a small hole in the center. I found the best material for that is the rubber from one of the large bounce balloons. They are usually constructed in some of accordion fashion, although I rarely see them anymore. No idea why that particular rubber material works so well, but it does and it never opens up or tears.

Or... you can just swipe on a urethane finish with a small cloth, cheesecloth or coffee filter. This is likely the quickest and easiest method to use.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 23, 2021 06:48PM

Hello All.
The article Tom is talking about can be found here:

V/I - Name- Author- page.
15/3 Urethane to Paint, Blank Coating Tool.(Clear Coating & Painting The Easy Way!). By Tom Kirkman. 22

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 23, 2021 11:10PM

Thanks Tom. I think I found the type of balloon you are talking about on Amazon. I'm not sure how to post a link here but they call it a punching balloon.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2021 11:47PM

That's it.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 27, 2021 04:44PM

For colored ends on your ice rod, you can also use wrapping epoxy with marbling pigment- [mudhole.com]. There are tutorials on how to use them available at Mudhole.com. Iwould simply mix my epocy with the desired color pigment, and brush in as i would when covering a thread wrap.

Just another option.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Date: November 29, 2021 06:28PM

Thank you all for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster