I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing Imperfections on Guide Wrap
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: November 22, 2021 10:26AM

So I’ve applied the first coat of ProKote and I see a few places where the thread was not cut as close as required. As a result I have a few bumps showing up in that area. Being a relative newbie I’m not sure if the next coat will fix it? I plan on applying 2 more coats. Should I try to sand down the affected area? Maybe try to level it with a razor? Or simply apply more coats?

If someone tells me how to upload a pic, I can post it.
TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing Imperfections on Guide Wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2021 10:44AM

If these imperfections are just tiny nubs, you can shave them smooth with a new, clean single edge razor blade. No need to sand anything. Recoat and you should be fine. What you don't want to do is make things any worse. Just shave those little nubs down and dispense with the trouble of sanding.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 22, 2021 11:05AM

Hi Dennis,
You can avoid those nubs by installing your pull-through loop much earlier.
Also, when you pull the pull-though loop - don't pull the thread under the wrap at all. Pull it to where the thread just hits the wrap.
Put tension on both the thread and pull-through. Cut the thread as close as possible to end of wrap.
Then pinch the area of the thread and pull-through VERY hard between your thumb and index finger and "POP" the pull-through out.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 22, 2021 12:57PM

Dennis,
A lot of folks use razor blades to cut their wrapping thread. An issue with a razor blade is that as you try to cut close to the wraps, you may nick one of your wraps and have to redo the entire wrap.
As a result, folks tend to err on the side of a little longer cut to avoid nicking the guide wraps.

An alternative to a razor blade is a new sharp pair of micro tipped Dr. Slick fly tying scissors.

For example:
[www.amazon.com]

When you use the scissors, pull your thread tag as tight as possible. Then, bring the scissors down tight to the thread wraps and snip the thread.

The typical nylon wrapping thread stretches. So, by holding the thread end taunt and then, holding the tip of the scissors as close as possible to the thread wraps, when the thread is cut and resumes its normal length, in many cases the tag end will actually disappear under the first couple of threads on your guide wrap.

Because you are using scissors and not a razor blade, you can hold the scissor tip tight to the thread wraps and have zero chance of nicking a finished thread wrap.

Give the scissors a try, and I suspect that you will never go back.

Over the years, I have built many many rods. I generally sharpen the scissors about once a year, or less and I am still using the same pair of scissors that I purchased so many years ago when I first started building. fishing rods.

I was taking a rod building class from an experienced builder who wrapped rods every day. It was he who recommended the Dr. Slick fly tying scissors as it was the same one that he had also used for many years.

In two words. They work

Posted by: Dan Hoehn (---)
Date: November 22, 2021 01:10PM

Similar to Roger I find the Fiskars micro tip pruner to work a treat.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2021 02:40PM

Here is what I use, just pull tension on the thread and move from side to side a little, then cut close to the thread wrap. The tension will pull the tag end back under the thread. Sometimes no matter what you do you will need to use a safety razor as Tom has stated. Sanding makes too much mess and the tag end will usually not be eliminated.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: November 22, 2021 02:51PM

Thanks for the tip. I think I have similar scissors that I will go check out. As far as using a razor to correct the imperfections, how long should I wait before I attempt that? The first coat of ProKote was applied last night.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 22, 2021 03:40PM

You can do the razor blade cut off any time after the epoxy cures. I've done it many times, and it is good advice if you have any kind of a bump, as from thread nubbins, dust, other "chunk" that got trapped by the epoxy. Work carefully, slicing parallel to the surface to get as smooth a surface after the cut as possible. You will most likely be surprised by how well it works.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: November 22, 2021 04:16PM

Dennis,
Sanding the thread nubs will create a mess in more ways than one. As Tom suggested, simply shave the nub off with a sharp (as in new) razor blade and you will be fine after the second coat is applied. You can probably shave off the nub(s) after the epoxy has cured for 12 hours but 24 is a safer bet.
Herb’s method of tying-off the wrap is very similar to mine. Place / insert the pull-through loop 10-15 rotations before the end of the wrap and continue wrapping over the loop until you decide to end the wrap. Secure the wrap from unwinding with a finger, cut the tag and insert the end into the pull-through loop, carefully pull the loop just until the tag is under the first rotation of thread, snip off the tag comfortably close to the wrap, quickly pull the loop out on a ~ 45* angle. The end of the tag is left concealed under the wrap somewhere between the edge of the wrap and where the loop was inserted = NO NUBS.
Whether employing a razor blade, X-acto knife, scissors or snips, MAKE CERTAIN THE ARE EXTREMELY SHARP!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 22, 2021 08:46PM

Razor blade or scalpel. I've been using a scalpel more frequently recently. Easy to control. Clean new blades with alcohol before use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2021 08:50PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: November 22, 2021 09:01PM

Lynn brought-up a very good (= important) point. Most blades have a coating of some sort of oil on them to prevent corrosion between the time they were manufactured and when the end-user actually uses them. While I prefer acetone over Lynn’s alcohol, at the very least, wipe the oil off new blades, even if only a dry paper towel.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 09:30PM

I meant acetone. Lol. I use one or the other.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster