I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Older Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 10:18PM

Hello, I have a Renzetti from the early 90s. There is a carriage which is not mobile that looks like it is designed to hold thread. It has a pivoting arm just like the regular thread carriage, space for one spool, and a set of cupped washers that have a spring and are adjustable. Looks like the thread or cord may go through these. Anyone have an idea of what this is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Older Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2021 07:33AM

Renzetti built a 2-spool carriage for quick thread changing and used the cup washers for thread tension, but I don't think this is what you have. In fact, I'd wager that whatever you have there is a home-made contraption of some sort. Do you have a photo?

Date: November 21, 2021 11:53AM

Hello Tom,
I have been unable to navigate the photo page. When I attempt to register it tells me my email is already in the database. Then when I click on forgot password it tells me my email is not in the database.
Anyway what you describe is likely it. It looks like it came from the factory. It has nonthreaded rods for spool supports on either side. Pigtails for running the thread, a “crane arm” that moves up and down for adjustment, and a knob for locking it in place on the rail

Since I can’t figure out how to post photos, I sent a picture to your email

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2021 11:58AM by roger gleason.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 21, 2021 11:53AM

As Mr. Kirkman said, take a picture and post it so we can see what it is.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The pictures posted above illustrate the single thread tensioner and thread holder that I first built and then continued to use over the years to build hundreds of rods.

A post to hold a thread spool, a like guide to change thread direction. An adjustable board to carry the thread to be above the rod and a spring thread tension device to tension the thread. The thread holder slides along the rod building bench, against the back side of the wrapper and it simply works very well. The base is made of nylon which slides well and the bench top is a formica counter top which is equally smooth and functions well for a rod building bench.

It sounds like the thread holder that you mention is very similar to this one that I built when I first starting building rods a long time ago.

I have never found a reason to have more than one spool of thread on the thread carriage, and I don't care for the thread tensioners that tension the spool of thread.

However, I do NOT use metallic thread with this thread carriage. The tensioner has issues handling metallic thread. However, John Cates sent me a pair of teflon pads to be on each side of the thread betweeen the tensioning disks that do take care of the use of metallic thread with this style thread tensioner.

Millions or billions of pieces of textiles are sewn and or embroidered every single day of the year that use thread tension devices that are identical in design to the spring tension devices shown above. As a result, I certainly have no problem using such a well proven design to tension the thread that I use for rod building to tension the thread.

Date: November 21, 2021 12:08PM

Thanks Roger, what I have works on the same concept of what you have posted. The Teflon discs are a good idea. If I ever use it I will try to source some of these, cause I do use metallic thread frequently

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2021 12:10PM

You just slide the base along the rail. You would not lock it in place while using it to wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster