I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

kayak rod leashes
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 09:15AM

Hi

How do you set rods up with attachment points for leashes? Want to protect gear if a kayak tips over.

These will be lighter weight rods.

I'm mostly looking at spinning set ups but also interested in casting rods.

My preference is to have the leash attach at the rod with a clip as opposed to being a fixed attachment but interested in all ideas.

As always - thank you for your advice

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kayak rod leashes
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 10:50AM

Do an internet search for "kayak rod leashes" for a starter.

The magazine had an article on this subject, will try to find it. Maybe someone else already knows where it was.

I think a simple ring embedded into the butt of the rod is all you need for the rod, and there are many options for leashes which have snaps on the ends.

There is also the flotation device which inflates when exposed to water to float the rod if it gets dunked.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:17AM

I tie 550 or slightly smaller cord around a spinning reel foot. Usually you need pliers to untie it but you don't have to deal with a bulky clip

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:22AM

Volume 20, Issure 1

Suggests Kevlar braid loop, attached in a number of ways, looks better than a hard ring at the butt.

Lots of leashes available on line, do the search.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 11:57AM

Hello All.

Michael there two that I know of:
V/I - Name - Author - Pg.
13/2 Leash Points, Soft Attachment for Kayak Rods. By Tom Kirkman. 16
20/1 Kayak Rods, Your Specialty? 22

P.S. We also have thee:

V/I - Name - Author - Pg.
11/6 Rescue Device For Your Rod. By Tom Kirkman. 10
11/6 Rescue Device For Your Rod: The Rod RescueR. By Charlie Smoote. 15
18/2 Retrieval Device, An End To Lost Rods? The Boomerang Retrieval Device. 12
17/1 Retrieval Device: Rod Flotation; It's About Displacement! By Tom Kirkman. 22

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 12:01PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 12:31PM

This is what everybody uses around here. They are like training wheels, and after you get acclimated to your kayak and the likelihood of rolling it over is diminished you can take them off. When first starting or in rough water (especially the ocean) you will want to use them all the time.

[www.walmart.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 20, 2021 01:36PM

Google Paco kayak rods for some ideas with pics. I use the graphite tube rear grip also because I use a rod holder, if nothing else for a third hand, or easy place to put a rod that removes slick and cleanly. First used them on my salmon rods, 14 inch grips come out so much easier with a graphite rear grip, no bite and fight under tension from heavy pulling gear be it weight, downrigger, or a fish.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 03:18PM

A magnetic fly fishing net cord has carabiners on a coiled cord, and a powerful maget that esures the carabiners together. It would make a dandy rod protector, if there is an attachment point for one of the caribiners, such as the teel foot, or a ring built into the rod handle. The magets would allow quick release if needed.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2021 01:15PM

Thank you all for the great advice.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: December 02, 2021 05:42PM

i surely wish i'd had a leash on my rod and new Shimano DC150 reel b4 i let it get dragged overboard. thankfully i did get it fished out. a simple leash would have alleviated that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster