I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod accuracy
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 16, 2021 08:45AM

In general which type of blank will make a more accurate rod: a parabolic action blank, or a fast action blank - or is there no difference? I am particularly curious about fly rod blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod accuracy
Posted by: Jim Ising (38.35.168.---)
Date: November 16, 2021 09:39AM

I'm pretty sure accuracy is an angling attribute and not an equipment feature. Regardless of the direction or angle a rod set-up tends to sling a lure, within 2 or 3 casts an angler worth his salt has made an adjustment that reclaims the accuracy he's accustomed to and spends the day with that slight change. But I don't think that's the end of the story.

When an angler claims "accuracy" it is likely due to a particular casting style fitting a particular action, stiffness, grip or other rod feature (or combination of features). Short or long backcasts, speed of loading, release point, angler strength, one or two hands, starting cast position and many other factors can all affect the direction and distance a lure flies. Occasionally, an angler will chance across a combination of features that works effortlessly with the mechanics of his/her ingrained casting style. When that happens, the angler will wax eloquent about how powerful and ACCURATE the rod is.

If you spend much time on the water you know there is no shortage of bad casting technique.

Fortunately, there's a perfect rod for every one of them.

Anglers Resource
[www.anglersresource.net]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2021 10:02AM

Thanks, Jim. I am chiefly concerned with advertisements or reviews discussing the inherent accuracy of certain blanks or rods. You correctly suggest that individual anglers believe that a particular rod provides the best accuracy for them, and they may well be correct. My gripe is with ads claiming particular blanks/rods inherently provide the greatest accuracy for every caster. That's hogwash.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2021 10:12AM

Phil,

Once again, your gripe isn't going to be resolved by preaching to the choir here. Talk to the fly rod manufacturers and their marketing people.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 16, 2021 02:19PM

I suggest that casting accuracy is about 99% dependent on the angler doing the casting and 1% dependent on a particular blank of any particular shape.

I simply believe that any marketing hype to the contrary is simply not true.

Best wishes

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: November 16, 2021 03:56PM

Gotta love it when things get slow or Phil gets bored

Ron Weber

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: November 16, 2021 04:21PM

There's no pot on Phil's stove gonna burn, the way he stirs. (:

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 16, 2021 05:40PM

Phil knows the answer. He may be crazy but he's not stupid.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 16, 2021 06:27PM

Love this whole accuracy thing. Last week someone told me if I didn't spine a SCV76MLXF it would cast off to one side or the other.(never mind the blank makes two direction changes before reaching the tip) Where do these casting experiments take place under the required perfect conditions? Where we fish there's a thing called wind. Casting adjustments are made as needed.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 16, 2021 06:27PM

Love this whole accuracy thing. Last week someone told me if I didn't spine a SCV76MLXF it would cast off to one side or the other.(never mind the blank makes two direction changes before reaching the tip) Where do these casting experiments take place under the required perfect conditions? Where we fish there's a thing called wind. Casting adjustments are made as needed.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2021 07:36PM

Accuracy in fly line casts: Is dependent on the proper casting stroke to project the fly line with the correct power, and direction so as to land a fly in a given target. Many things come into play. First and foremost is becoming familiar with your preferred rod. Is it fast, or slow to load? Does it have sufficient power to effectively pick up the line from the water for a roll, or spay cast? Are you using the proper type, and weight of fly line for the rod? Can you make a tight loop on the back, and forward cast. Is your body position conducive to swinging the rod tip in the direction you want the line to travel?

A;; pf these questions are answered by watching known great casters, and the getting out and practicing, especially on the water. There are wonderful youtube videos that teach different casting techniques, and offer, different ways of doing them. Is my Winston more accurate than my CTS? At distances greater than60 foot or so, most definitely. The Winston is a seven weight, while the CTS is a three weight. One is designed for distance, and chucking into the wind. The other is perfect for small brook trout streams, and laying dry flies down gently. Both when used for their designed purposes are excellent.. The only limiting factor is my casting skill, or lack thereof.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster