I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC ‘Ferrule Lite’ joints?
Posted by: Andrew Ogilvie (---.gci.net)
Date: November 14, 2021 06:37PM

Has anyone used NFC fly rod blanks? I’m building on an LMX FAF 909-4. These blanks come with ‘Ferrule Lite Joints,’ which doesn’t allow the male end of the ferrule to completely insert all the way into the female end. This leaves about 1/2” of exposed ferrule after the rod is assembled. What can I do to alleviate this aesthetic issue? Anyone have any picks of their build using NFC fly rod blanks?

Re: NFC ‘Ferrule Lite’ joints?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2021 07:26PM

They leave a bit of additional length to accommodate future wear. Nothing wrong with them. You don't want them to seat all the way at the outset - if they do, they'll become loose as they wear in.

Date: November 14, 2021 07:31PM

Should I wrap the male section (to a certain point)-?

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: November 14, 2021 08:39PM

Tom, how is it even possible for you to have this incredible knowledge???

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2021 10:04PM

You'd have to ask NF about the need for ferrule reinforcement wraps. Often, the manufacturer will reinforce the female ferrule with wound filiment which negates the need for a reinforcement wrap. Of course, adding a reinforcement wrap to the female ferrule won't hurt anything even if it's not needed.

As far as wrapping the male ferrule, that won't do anything for you (or the rod). Not necessary unless you run into a spigot/plug type ferrule where wrapping both the male and female sections are often done.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 14, 2021 11:08PM

Te male end does not need a wrap. Nothing there to reinforce..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 15, 2021 07:50AM

Any chance of posting a photo of this condition? I don't understand. I looked at their web site and the ferrules just look like any other ferrule. I'm curious.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2021 03:04PM

If you are wanting to put a decorative trim band on the male end, go ahead, but make sure it is far enough back not to interfere with complete insertion after it wears down in the future. Be consistent with each one as far as progressive spacing so that it looks right. They are not necessary and I do not use them on my NFC fly rod builds.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: November 21, 2021 08:06AM

I questioned the same same when I built my first LMX. The LMX blanks have an unsanded look with exposed cellophane spiral look as well. I really like the look and feel. The male sections are sanded smooth for the ferrule to fit into. What Andrew is seeing , I'm assuming, is they sand smooth plenty more than a new ferrule joint appears to need so as the blank ferrule breaks in and wears it has room. That portion isn't the most appealing to look at since it transitions from the production spirals to visible sanded blank.

Date: November 23, 2021 06:44AM

Mark, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. I understand the reason why they designed it this way, but it just looks horrible when put together.
From an esthetic standpoint, I much rather prefer tip-over-butt ferrules. I was just wondering what I can do to make this a little more pleasing to the eye, yet maintain its structural integrity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster