I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank marking pen
Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 14, 2021 03:10PM

What have you is best for marking blanks before thread wrapping? I have been using a sharpie ultrafine in white. It is an oil based ink and you have to push down on the point to get it wet. It frequently get dry, and when you push down on the point it will leave big globs of ink where you are trying to mark. Ultra fine it’s just the right size for marking. I have also tried the sharpie fiine points. Unfortunately I cannot find it in white. The other colors blend into the black and or hard to see. I know some people use a scribe, but I’d like to stay away from this. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank marking pen
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 14, 2021 03:39PM

I use a china marker, comes in different colors. I put the mark 1/4 inch from where I want the single foot guide ring so it won't be under the wrap, and I take it off with a paper towel dampened with alcohol. With double foot guides I put it at the ring and wipe it off after wrapping.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: November 14, 2021 03:55PM

I’m not clear if you’re looking for a pen to mark the blank for component locations or for writing information on the blank.

Sharpie fine point Silver
[www.amazon.com]

Sharpie fine point White
[www.amazon.com]

Guy Taylor

Date: November 14, 2021 04:08PM

Guy, I should’ve been more clear. Using it for index marks before crosswrapping. I think either one of the ones you listed will work. I have been looking for those and haven’t been able to find them ,thank you very much.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 14, 2021 04:54PM

I never put any marks on a blank with anything when wrapping.

Rather I use tape.

Then, if it is necessary to write on the blank, I use a piece of masking tape first and then use a ball point pen on the masking tape. Never any marks left on the blank.

Best wishes

I do the same thing when working with metal. I never mark the metal. Rather I apply tape and then mark my cuts with a ball point pen. Remove the tape and the metal is clean.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: November 14, 2021 09:09PM

I know a lot of people find Amazon to be an evil big company bent on destroying our way of life. However, I see Amazon as a way to shop a bunch of companies and what they carry without leaving my home.
Following cancer treatment I am confined to bed, unable to leave my home. Amazon gives me the chance to get many things that I may normally not find easily.

Guy Taylor

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2021 03:08PM

China marker in white. It will wipe off cleanly.
[www.amazon.com]

Date: November 15, 2021 05:09PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never put any marks on a blank with anything
> when wrapping.
>
> Rather I use tape.
>
> Then, if it is necessary to write on the blank, I
> use a piece of masking tape first and then use a
> ball point pen on the masking tape. Never any
> marks left on the blank.
>
> Best wishes
>
> I do the same thing when working with metal. I
> never mark the metal. Rather I apply tape and
> then mark my cuts with a ball point pen. Remove
> the tape and the metal is clean.
>
> Best wishes.

Hi Roger

in this case the marks are covered with cross wraps....they better not show!
I do some welding from time to time, and use prussian blue and a scribe to mark metal before bandsaw cutting, works pretty good and comes right off with acetone

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.194.130.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 15, 2021 09:21PM

IT's a shame Sharpie doesn't make extra fine water based pens any more. Taht is what you want to use. I have all teh other Sharpies mentioned and none of them leave teh small dot you are looking to make. Sorry to add another useless information post to your question, but I figured since everyone else did I might as well too

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 15, 2021 09:50PM

Many years ago my wife picked up some Dixon thinex colored pencils. I use the white and yellow ones for marking blanks for guide placement. The marks are easily removed with a damp paper towel. Since they are a pencil they can be sharpened to produce a very small dot. Not sure if they would be suitable for doing decorative wraps, but they maybe worth a try. Unfortunately the Dixon brand colored pencils are no longer made, but I’m sure there must be other similar types of colored pencils out there. Just a thought.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: November 16, 2021 06:36PM

I've been using a pen made in Japan called Gelly Roll 08.
It wipes off easy and covers well.
[www.sakuraofamerica.com]
You can get it at most art stores.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 16, 2021 11:41PM

After some research, these - [www.amazon.com] should fit your needs.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: roger gleason (192.84.52.---)
Date: November 18, 2021 01:53PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IT's a shame Sharpie doesn't make extra fine water
> based pens any more. Taht is what you want to use.
> I have all teh other Sharpies mentioned and none
> of them leave teh small dot you are looking to
> make. Sorry to add another useless information
> post to your question, but I figured since
> everyone else did I might as well too

This is true, that's what I've been looking for

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster