I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Upset when you lose a Micro when building?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 04:24PM

Maybe this will help:

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upset when you lose a Micro when building?
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 05:07PM

Perfect, Roger, just perfect.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 05:18PM

There went 10 seconds of my life.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 12, 2021 05:44PM

Hello Terry.

It took you 10 seconds, heck maybe 5 seconds for me, and I'm slooooo.

Roger, are your grandkids visiting?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 06:06PM

Didn't Ozzie Osbourn release that in a single?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: November 12, 2021 07:24PM

Very comforting Roger, thanks.

I have a string of good string luck.

I always find the lost things in the last place I look.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 07:52PM

After Jeffrey’s comment, I feel safe in saying, Bah, Humbug lol. Thanks, Roger!!! This could just top the charts in views and replies.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 12, 2021 09:09PM

Jeffrey, never thought of Ozzie, I was thinking White Room by Cream. And make sure to install plenty of good lighting.Lol

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 10:19PM

Bare feet are a natural micro guide magnet, give it a try.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 12, 2021 10:57PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bare feet are a natural micro guide magnet, give
> it a try.

I always assumed the missing guides were keeping company with the missing socks.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2021 04:05AM

I got sick of losing small things I drop at the bench. I mounted a strip of stick on under cabinet led lights around the perimeter of the underside of my bench. I have them turned on the whole time I am working. Typically if I drop something I can an instantly spot it in the bright light. Saved me lots of cussing well not really just cussing about dropped and lost things. Still cuss about lots of other things. Another old guy tip is get yourself an extendable magnet to pick up the guides once you spot. Don't do you any good to see them if you can't bend over far enough to pick them up, or get back up after you pick them up.

Date: November 13, 2021 06:04AM

For the folks who say that they lost 5 or 10 minutes out of their life watching, how much time out of your life - in total have you spent looking for lost or forgotten items.

But, in any event - when you have had a hard day and are relaxing - take a view of the entire movie and I expect that you will be smiling from ear to ear after watching and later when you go back to your rod building bench, you will do wo with a smile on your face.

Take care

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: November 13, 2021 09:23AM

The bare foot method had me splitting a gut!!!

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 13, 2021 10:15AM

The rollers on my shop chair find them every time...finding is not necessary the gift of being able to ever use them!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 07:12PM

Beautiful Roger and i will now watch the entire movie.

When my grandchildren see me crawling around on the floor looking for that micro or larger guide I remind them about the 12 inch hole in the floor directly beneath me that things have fallen into and never been found !!!

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 14, 2021 02:27PM

When I first started using micro guides, they woud shoot across the room when I tried to remove the 1/8" tape! Can't tell you how many I lost, as the room had beige carpet that was thoroughly infected with bits of thread and 1/8" & 1/4" masking tape. I began ordering at least two (sometimes up to 4) extra micro runners and developed a different method of holding them on the blank until I was able to get enough wraps to secure them. I have in the past couple years wrapped rods for a customer that gets his Fuji Torzite guides directly from Japan, as small as 2mm. I began tying a bit of neon yellow or neon pink thread to the ring and tethering them to the blank, just so I wouldn't lose them, and it was a good thing I did or I would have been replacing quite a few guides!

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: November 14, 2021 09:19PM

Richard, that’s a great idea! Thanks for sharing that.

Guy Taylor

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2021 05:31AM

Small rubber bands like mudhole sells are the only way to go if your wrapping micros. I use two on each guide. One at middle of the guide and one right were the foot of the guide meets the leg. Wrap about to the middle one and cut it free. Cut the next one when you put your tie off loop in. To cut the bands it is much easier to use a razor blade or exacto that has been heated up with a lighter. Just a light touch and they pop off.

Another thing that helps with all guides is flexcoat guide foot adhesive. I use it a bit different though on micros. I will hold the micros in a pliers that is taped up to prevent damage. Heat it then apply a thin spot of the adhesive. Don't put it on the rod, let it cool. Place the guide were you want it and rubberband it in place as I described. Next I take one of my assorted dental tools, thin spatula type works best. Heat it up with a lighter fairly hot. Then touch it to the guide foot. The heat will transfer to the guide foot and remelt the adhesive. You won't get really good adhesion but it will help keep the tip of the guide foot down and you can get the thread started easier without everything moving around on you.

Date: November 15, 2021 11:36AM

No need to over complicate things with micro guides.

Simply put, ortho bands are the inexpensive quick and easy anwer.

Simply slip the appropriate sized ortho blanks over the tip of the blank and bring them down into position for each guide.

Hold the guide in place and roll the band in place on the blank. If you need to adjust the guide, simply rotate it, or move it up and down the blank as needed and then wrap the guide. When the guide is 1/2 wrapped, take a very sharp very pointed nipper and cut the ortho band. Finish the wrap and on to the next guide.

When placing the ortho bands on the rod, I will place two or three extra banks in place on the blank in case a guide or a band gives you a problem when positioning and wrapping a specific guide. Nip off any unused bands when finished wrapping the guides.

Do a search of the internet and it is easy to find 500 bands for a few dollars that will wrap many many rods.

Best wishes

Posted by: roger gleason (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 15, 2021 05:16PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No need to over complicate things with micro
> guides.
>
> Simply put, ortho bands are the inexpensive quick
> and easy anwer.
>
> Simply slip the appropriate sized ortho blanks
> over the tip of the blank and bring them down into
> position for each guide.
>
> Hold the guide in place and roll the band in place
> on the blank. If you need to adjust the guide,
> simply rotate it, or move it up and down the blank
> as needed and then wrap the guide. When the guide
> is 1/2 wrapped, take a very sharp very pointed
> nipper and cut the ortho band. Finish the wrap and
> on to the next guide.
>
> When placing the ortho bands on the rod, I will
> place two or three extra banks in place on the
> blank in case a guide or a band gives you a
> problem when positioning and wrapping a specific
> guide. Nip off any unused bands when finished
> wrapping the guides.
>
> Do a search of the internet and it is easy to find
> 500 bands for a few dollars that will wrap many
> many rods.
>
> Best wishes

I searched for these on the internet, and apparently they are good for holding your dreadlocks in place, in case anyone is interested

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster