I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SJ-732 or SJ-736 for drop shotting 5/8oz???
Posted by: Chris Henry (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 11, 2021 11:12AM

SJ-732 or SJ-736 for drop shotting 5/8oz??? Any input would be great. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SJ-732 or SJ-736 for drop shotting 5/8oz???
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 11, 2021 01:35PM

I don't generally drop shot more than 1/4-3/8 oz, but I have the SJ-736 and think it would be way too stiff for a drop shot rod. Just doesn't have the softer tip I generally associate with fishing a drop shot, and also more power than I would consider using for that technique. I know you didn't ask about this one, but I also have an MB-733, and while the power seems right for heavier drop shot, the action is significantly slower that what I would use for drop shot. Hope this helps a little.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 11, 2021 07:34PM

[www.americantackle.us] Sorry about that, over looked blank length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2021 07:15PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.69.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 03:27AM

SJ 736 is too stiff. For heavy dropshot I cut down a MB736 to 6'9". Made a few for anglers who "wanted more backbone" because they always want more backbone. It works well but take it easy on the hookset and it works well. If you don't need heavy duty go with the higher power DS from NFC.

Posted by: Chris Henry (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 14, 2021 08:40AM

So the MB-736 isn’t as stiff as the SJ-736?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2021 08:59AM

With that kind of weight, I think you are on the right track with the types of blanks you're looking at. I just don't think an actual drop shot blank would fish that kind of weight particularly well. Especially if you'll be making longer casts and dragging it, and even if you're video game fishing it. Actual drop shot blanks (at least the ones I have experience with) have notoriously soft tips, and that's a lot of weight to move even with the pull type hook set associated with the drop shot.

I have no experience with the SJ 732, so this is just conjecture on my part, but personally I'd be leery of the SJ 732 for your application. Being a spin jig blank, it may have a tip that is more stiff than what a DS blank might have, but its' specs, especially the line weight ratings, would have me thinking it has a pretty soft tip.

I really wish I could give a definitive opinion on the SJ 736 or the MB 736 that Aaron mentioned, but I can't. I'm just not sure which of those two blanks I actually have two rods built on. I ordered MB 736's, but the dimensions of the blanks I received match those of the SJ 736. So for what it's worth, I'll just say what I use the rods for, and how they handle those baits. I use the rods for dragging tube jigs, 3/16 - 3/8 oz, and for dragging football jigs, 3/8 - 1/2 oz. I have 12# and 15# fluorocarbon line on them respectively. The rods cast those weights beautifully. The tip loads well, and there is plenty of backbone to set the hook at longer distances and in deeper water. I also use the rods for lighter Texas rigged soft plastics, as well as for pitching unweighted 5" Senkos. It is an awesome rod for a 5" or larger Senko, but the tip, at least IMO, doesn't load well enough when pitching an unweighted 4" Senko. And while I have yet to try it, they would probably make outstanding Carolina rig rods with weights lighter than those normally associated with a Carolina rig.

The rods have good power, but aren't rods I would consider for use in heavy cover. I wouldn't call their tips overly stiff, but you're also not going to see a bite in the tip, before you feel it in the rod. It's not going to just start sagging like the tip on a drop shot blank sometimes does. Sensitivity for the X rays is phenomenal.

Anyhow ... hopefully I helped, and I really like Aaron's idea of the cut down MB 736. I bet that's an awesome and versatile rod.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: November 14, 2021 05:51PM

FWIW, I'd say reverse the ratings for the Xray SJ703 and SJ732 on the website and then they are close to what you would expect them to be. The SJ732 is a slower blank than the SJ703 The SJ703 feels like a light power spin jig blank. The SJ732 is closer to a popping rod blank feel. Chris, I would consider both of them too light in power for your needs. The SJ736 is too heavy IMHO. The MB736 could be perfect but strikes me as a little heavy. I'd take a look at the SB724.

Chris, try the blank compare app at Rodhouse France.

P.S. I wish a few of you bass guys would try the NFC P704. Love to hear what you think.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 15, 2021 12:48PM

Chris Henry,

Yes there is a slight difference with the MB taper making for a softer tip. Search for SJ736 and you can find where Norm shared CCS data for these blanks. But notice I mentioned I cut my MB736 down. This changes the AA.

Here is the quote from threads over a year old.

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In case anyone is interested, I do have some CCS
> measurements for some of the NFC X-ray blanks and
> HM blanks that I made recently.
>
> MB 704 HM - intrinsic power (IP) is about 560 gm,
> and action angle (AA) is about 72 degrees
> MB 705 HM. - IP 635 gm and AA 75 degrees
> MB 736 X-ray- IP 725 gm and AA 71 degrees
> MB 765 X-ray Neo - IP 865 gm and AA 77 degrees
> SJ 703 X-ray - IP 343 gm and AA 73 degrees
> SJ 736 X-ray - IP 793 gm and AA 75 degrees
> Modern graphite blanks for the most part are not
> all that brittle they hold up quite well if not
> abused. If you want something that is very durable
> and supposedly almost unbreakable try the X-ray
> MB765 Neo.
> Norm

MB 725gm AA71
SJ 793gm AA75

A.P.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 15, 2021 06:58PM

Here’s a couple more.
SJ732 X-ray - IP = 422 gm, AA = 78
SB724 X-ray - IP = 463 gm , AA = 74.5
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 17, 2021 06:11PM

I am liking the numbers for the SJ 732 as a drop shot rod. Not one that I would use for the types of weight mentioned in this thread, but definitely for the weights I use most often when fishing a drop shot. Hmmm .... do I really need another drop shot rod? lol

Date: November 18, 2021 07:21AM

I have built a handful of SJ 732. So far my favorite uses are Ned rigs, weightless worms, neko, and minnow class jerkbaits. I have not tried to drop shot on it. Sounds like a good excuse to buy another.

Posted by: David Baylor (173.90.1.---)
Date: November 18, 2021 04:23PM

Aaron, I'd love to hear your description of the power curve of the SJ732. With the baits you listed using I would guess that it has a fairly soft, but not overly soft tip, and that it transitions into the back bone of the rod in the upper 1/3 of the blank. I realize that with an IP of 422 it's not going to be a powerful backbone, but I am hoping it has a little guts to it.

Anyhow, love to hear your thoughts.

Date: August 04, 2022 02:05PM

David,

Sorry I missed following up from so long ago.

The 732 initially loads in the top third but has a low enough IP that it bends deep on a fish fight. The tip recovers quite quick which makes my X-75 and X-80 presentations effortless.

On the water I have yet to lose a fish that was set on a ned rig. I have fished 1/16 to 1/8oz pending on depth/current. Biggest landed was a 7lb white buffalo carp in 20' of water with a Jewel weedless 1/10oz. It fought hard but the blank power was not in question. I could put a lot of pressure on the fish. The average fish is around a 2-3lb Alabama Spotted Bass. I fish with 6-8lb InvisX. No issues even with four or five lb'ers either. I can fight them pretty hard with no worries.

When I fish the small jerkbaits I use 8lb InvisX. The 732 does well because the X-80 and X-75 do not require much more than a wrist flick to dart around efficiently on this blank. And again the load goes pretty deep and keep the small trebles pinned.

I am personally finding a direct correlation in the time I am distanced from tournament fishing and how much I am loving lighter gear. This is my favorite rod for my home lakes on the Coosa now. I am falling deeply in love with the 703 as well.

Hope this helps. If you haven't already made some and found out yourself.

A.P.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 04, 2022 06:17PM

If you are using all that weight and probably larger gear attached, is it even dropshotting anymore?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2022 05:28PM

Aaron, thank you for the synopsis. I truly appreciate it. With the weights you're talking about fishing and the way the blanks load, it sounds as if my drop shot rod built on an NFC 6107 IM blank is along the same lines. It's IP 343 grams with an AA of 78 - 79. I love it for lighter weights and more shallow water. It's when I need to increase my weight to 3/8 oz when fishing the deeper water of Lake Erie, that I am looking for a more powerful blank, with a more stiff tip.

As far as building another drop shot rod, or any rods for that matter goes. I am pretty much done building rods for myself. I took up rod building so I could build better rods than I was fishing with at the time. And I have done that, and more. I would put several of the rods I've built, up against any rod on the market, and I honestly think they would perform better.

If I were to build another rod it would be on a Point Blank blank. I haven't built on one yet, and would like to just to see if I think they are as good as everyone else does. Other than that, I have no need to build an upgrade of any of the rods I currently have.

Anyhow ..... thank you again for the detailed response. Much appreciated

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 05, 2022 06:48PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are using all that weight and probably
> larger gear attached, is it even dropshotting
> anymore?

A.K.A "Bubba shot."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster