I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plated or genuine nickel silver reelseat
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: November 09, 2021 01:19PM

I have build a few flyrods with genuine nickel silver reelseat. The pure nickelsilver seats are much heavier than their plated counterpart. My question is : How durable is the planting over time. This time I Am building a three weight and the nickel silver reelseat is as heavy as the blank. I know the weight is the bottom of the rod and does not affect the performance. I wish to have a light rod, unless if the nickel silver plating does not keep up well over time. Any input?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2021 01:24PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plated or genuine nickel silver reelseat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 09, 2021 02:24PM

Stainless steel is low carbon nickel steel, REC recoil guides are nickel titanium, copper nickel piping is a highly durable piping solution in saltwater, I see a pattern here.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2021 04:11PM

Assuming the plated seat is a high quality seat made by a reputable manufacturer, it'll be more than good enough for what you want to do.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 10, 2021 06:26PM

Terje,
While different metals have different specific atomic weights, for our intents and purposes in rod building, most are similar enough to make detecting an overall weight difference very difficult, Al and Ti being the exceptions. If your solid nickel-silver (NS) seat is noticeably heavier than a plated one, it is simply larger or thicker-walled = find a smaller / thinner version. By the way, there is no such thing as “pure nickelsilver” = it is an alloy containing mostly copper with the addition of nickel and zinc, but surprisingly, no elemental silver; with silver only describing its appearance. It is also commonly known as “German silver”. Its attributes for rod building include corrosion resistance, formability and lubricity making it the first choice for ferrules prior to Tip-Over-Butt (TOB) ferrules. But is considerably heavier than anodized aluminum or titanium.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: November 11, 2021 07:14AM

Has nothing to do with larger or wall thickness. I think what you are going to find if using an identical size product, in terms of weight from lighter to heavier would be
Aluminum
Titanium
Aluminum Bronze
Stainless Steel
Nickel Silver
Copper

Ron Weber

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 11, 2021 06:47PM

Ron,
With all due respect, I am extremely surprised with your reply “Has nothing to do with larger or wall thickness.” It should be obvious that a part which is larger, including wall thickness, will be heavier than a smaller part. In Terje’s circumstance, the only explanation why his solid NS seat is heavier than a plated NS seat is simply due to the size / mass of it, including wall thickness. You even stipulated such “...if using an identical size product...” in your (misleading) list of lighter to heavier metals. While you are correct that Ti is (~30%) heavier than aluminum, you failed to include that Ti (depending on the alloy) requires ~ 20% of the material to produce the same strength = Ti has a considerably higher strength-to-weight ratio than Al. Case-in-point = who makes aluminum guide frames?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: November 11, 2021 10:02PM

Ok, makes perfect sense. You have the ideal size seat for your build in nickle silver, but it is too heavy for your liking. So instead of choosing one with the same specs in say aluminum or another media, just downsize the original to a smaller and less desirable size and fitment to acheive the weight reduction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster