I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dust Removal?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2021 03:40AM

I typically don't do any surface prep to my guide wraps prior to CP and finish. Have a "clean" work area for the most part and tend to get rods finished withing in a day or two of wrapping. I got a build that is wrapped and sitting unfinished. Been busy doing other things. One of those things was changing furnace filter. Also shop vac all the areas I can reach. Well did that shutoff the shop vac off and it hit me. Unfinished rod is on the bench about eight feet from the exhaust of the shop vac. Son of.... I am sure I stirred way more things up than any of my builds has ever seen. Fortunately it is a dark thread. But still want to take a extra step to try and remove as many possible imperfections prior to finishing. So wonder what is safe and thorough that won't cause finish issues? Just go easy and dust it, maybe canned air? Or some type of tack cloth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dust Removal?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 07:12AM

I have used tack cloths from the hardware store with good success. I would blow it off outside, then finish with the tack cloth LIGHTLY over the surface.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 07:33AM

Michael,
I have used this on virtually all of my builds with 0 problems.

I use Blue 3-M masking tape to tack off all wraps before applying finish.

I have found that air does not do it. A brush does not do it.

I have also tried a standard painters tack cloth with bad effects.

But, never a problem with Blue 3-m low tack masking tape to tack off the wraps before applying finish.

p.s.

If you don't already have - purchase a roll of U-Line poly bags. This is a roll of bagging material that comes in various widths.

I use this material to use when shipping all of my finished rods. I use an electric impulse sealer which melts the plastic bag together to form a seal at each end of the bagging material.

I used to use different sizes, but now only use the size that will enclose either casting rods and guides as well as spinning rods and guides.

--
The point of the statement, is that if one is going to complete the wraps on a rod, but know that it is going to be a long time before the wraps will be coated - then insert the completed - wrapped rod in one of the poly bags for as long as necessary until one gets back to applying finish on the rod. Without finish on a rod, there is a small possibility that the guides might be slightly misaligned during the insertion and removal from the bag - but - one should always double check the guide and tip top alignment - immediately before applying any thread wrap finish to be 100% sure that all guides are perfectly aligned with the reel seat and the tip top of the rod. If the plastic tubing is left several inches longer than the completed, but uncoated rod, one can take a couple of folds int he tubing at each end of the rod and keep it closed with a clip, a paper clip, a chip clip or my favorite - a clothes pin. No dust will enter to contaminate a newly wrapped rod before applying finish.

U-Line products for storage and shipping of uncompleted, as well as completed rods:

[www.uline.com]

[www.uline.com]

p.s.
If one searches the on-line @#$%& sites or other "for sale" outlets, one can often find used, but perfectly good impulse-sealers at a good discount that will last for many more years of low volume use.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 08, 2021 08:00AM

That is great info Roger. Thank you. I am making a move soon and it will be a little while before my new shop is ready. This bag sealing will work great for the rods I have wrapped and back burnered for holiday builds.

A.P.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2021 09:10AM

No need to use an elephant gun on a squirrel. Just blow it off. Or knock it off with a soft brush like the one you use for applying finish. Tape, tack rags, etc, aren't necessary and only increase the chance that you're going to wind up with something far worse than dust on your wraps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 10:30AM

A Swiffer duster may work. It collects dust via electrostatic forces. No chemicals or adhesive involved. I use them for dusting my work bench and getting rid of causal dust.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 05:45PM

Michael,
We all know (probably experienced) how fragile the beginning tag or tie-off tag can be, even if only rarely. Sometimes those tucked-under tags just seem to go “boink” for no apparent reason. All of the above recommendations involve some sort of risk to the bare wraps, so whatever you do, do it very cautiously, gently, diligently!!!
I must say that, yet again, Norman offered a POSSIBLY very good idea. I have not tried it so cannot attest to its effectiveness but a Swiffer may be just the ticket. I have assumed Swiffers relied on an oil, paraffin or similar which would obviously be a big NO NO in this case. But if in fact they function solely electrostatically, a Swiffer could be the best dust removal method available.
Your “canned air” is a good idea also, as long as it is very low pressure. But just blowing the wraps can cause static electricity on the surface.
In the future, Roger’s skinny bags would be very hard to beat.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 05:53PM

I have tried most of the suggestions, but I still come back to the blue painters tape from 3-m

Simply put, the tape works for me, and most of the other suggestions don't work for me.

But, in any event, use what ever method works for you and your rod building dusting issues.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 06:52PM

Just make sure you have the correct # blue painter's tape. All are not equal. For more info, run a search.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 07:16PM

Michael,
I think Lynn is referring to this link; it is kind of long but hopefully informative.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster