I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some advice on an AT hood cover
Posted by: Josh Hutchison (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 01:19AM

I recently purchased an American Tackle carbon fiber foregrip sleeve for use with the G2 handles. It looked great on the website and it wasn’t until it arrived that I noticed it is not meant to “meet” the blank. All the other hidden thread sleeve hood covers I have used in the past were reamed to fit the blank. This one obviously has a large gap between it and the rod. Is there something made to utilize in this situation or do people fabricate a solution to this? The hood cover looks good I’m just not quite sure what to do with it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice on an AT hood cover
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 10:19AM

Once the foregrip is threaded on to the reel seat threads and in contact with reel foot it's not going anywhere, just make sure you have a good solid arbor in contact with the blank and reel seat threaded area to stop any crushing of the threaded area. You can make up the space with thread and wrap finish if you like.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 02:28PM

Josh,
I am uncertain if I understand exactly what you are referring to. If you are talking about the opening of the forwardmost portion of the thread cover being too large and leaving a gap between it and the blank, you can install a “felt bushing”. It is fairly expandable / contractible to make a nice fit along the tapered blank to eliminate any rattling, won’t mare the blank and keeps debris out. Is this what you are talking about?
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2021 03:41PM

American Tackle makes a winding check for this. [www.americantackle.us]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 04:37PM

I use the Batson no fore grip winding check. Their OD and height fill the gap pretty well.
Norm

Posted by: Josh Hutchison (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 05:07PM

I apologize if my question was worded poorly. I know what I want to say, just have a hard time getting the meaning across. Mr. Keough and Mr. Miller, I believe that is what I am looking for. Thank you.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: November 08, 2021 08:03AM

The Fuji hidden sleeve checks that I get from Mudhole have ID options. So if you want to have the top accent on the hidden sleeve tight to the blank this is usually the route I take.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster