I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra Strong Micro Rod et Up.
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 07, 2021 11:49AM

I posted something similar to this many moons back. Since solid fiberglass ice rod blanks are so inexpensive, and can be purchased strong enough to land pike, musky, and big lake trout, use AT microwave guides and a solid casting reel on the blank. You'll be amazed at how far it will cast. It is a ton of fun fighting a big smallie, or pike on this rig. And talk about a compact rod for kayak, or float tube fishing, or even flippin in heavy cover to brookies, well, the diminutive size makes getting through choked brush so much easier.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Strong Micro Rod et Up.
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2021 03:43PM

I love the Microwave guides!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 07, 2021 07:45PM

Robert, what blanks are we talking about here?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 07, 2021 08:34PM

If I was so inclined I would probably have gone with a Rod Geeks RG-42. They were selling the rod, reel and pack for $75 - 80 some months ago.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 09:14AM

i built on the rg-42 some time ago..i tried using braid on it..way to herky jerky when fighting a fish..you need to use mono or go to glass especially with short rods if you want to use braid which i ended up doing.

Date: November 08, 2021 05:28PM

I've used these with great success - [www.jannsnetcraft.com] Plus, I had customers asking for the, and so made about ten, each selling for $60.00. The only thing is that customers wanted bright orange, or yellow tips, making them easy to see.

RJF

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 07:01PM

So Robert, about how long of a blank are we talking here?

Date: November 08, 2021 07:57PM

Between 28 and 36 inches.

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2021 11:36AM

you can take a 43" rod and cut it back to whatever..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2021 03:45PM

Thanks Robert. So the guides cost about 20x what the blank cost. That is a heck of a bargain and an ice rod is the perfect application. Sounds like fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster