I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Restoring a fiberglass rod
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:25AM

In my short stint as a rod builder, the word is getting out that I can restore old surf rods and I am now on my forth surf rod restoration project. this one is a doozy. It's a 13 foot fiberglass Lamiglas, it's warped and it looks as if it was outdoors laying on it's side in the sun for a long time. The finish is gone on the side that faced the sun and the weave is exposed. We took it fishing to test it it and it still stood up to any fish we caught that day and heavy casting so, structurally it is good. First the warp, it's going about 3-4 inches to the left, about 2/3 up the rod. I'm thinking soft heat on that one, or whatever it takes but beginning with low heat. As for the exposed weave, I am thinking maybe a few coats of Permagloss will build it back up? The customer told me the warp is the main concern, and if the rod breaks on him, no loss. It's very ugly in the condition it is in now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restoring a fiberglass rod
Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:33AM

I have nothing to offer regarding the warp but I have had great success restoring the finish on some Honey Lamiglas blanks from the early '70s with a very light (400 grit) sanding and permagloss.

Date: November 05, 2021 10:39AM

Joseph Willsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have nothing to offer regarding the warp but I
> have had great success restoring the finish on
> some Honey Lamiglas blanks from the early '70s
> with a very light (400 grit) sanding and
> permagloss.

I did a honey Lami for myself back in January and it turned out beautiful, although there was no weave exposed. This one is a black Lami and the weave is so exposed you can feel it, and it's turned white.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2021 01:02PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 05, 2021 03:59PM

Fred,
You have a real DOOZY of a repair, actually a rebuild of the blank itself!!! The first thing to determine is if it is actually worth all the effort only to discover your attempts do not work in the end. Unless you are a glutton-for-punishment, have too much time on your hands or are compelled to tackle the seemingly impossible, consider passing on this one. It is bad enough there is such a pronounced warp in the blank, but with deteriorated polyester resin / exposed FG weave down the length of one side, the blank will probably always be lop-sided in strength, flexibility and frequency. Sanding the exposed FG will accentuate the issue.
But if you are @#$%&-bent on trying, consider this. Natural FG cloth is white in appearance; it did not turn white all those years exposed in the sun (UV). FG (glass) is fairly UV resistant. The resin was tinted (black) which deteriorated, turned to dust and fell off the blank from prolonged UV exposure. Carefully, as in gently, apply polyester resin, tinted black, to just the exposed / damaged side of the blank, just enough to encapsulate the exposed weave. If it is possible, and before applying the resin, put a bend in the blank OPPOSITE TO THE PRESENT WARP; if it is 4in off to the left, bend it 4in to the right (just a guess as to how much bend to induce). Let it cure for a minimum of 3 days; 1 week would be better (at 70*F +). Ultimately, post curing it at a consistent 150*F for 12 hours would be best, but that is probably impractical for you.
I am always intrigued by a challenge, but I think this project may be pushing the limits of what is possible, at least feasible. Nonetheless, I am VERY interested in what you decide and how it turns out = please keep me posted.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 06, 2021 10:41AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fred,
> You have a real DOOZY of a repair, actually a
> rebuild of the blank itself!!! The first thing to
> determine is if it is actually worth all the
> effort only to discover your attempts do not work
> in the end. Unless you are a
> glutton-for-punishment, have too much time on your
> hands or are compelled to tackle the seemingly
> impossible, consider passing on this one. It is
> bad enough there is such a pronounced warp in the
> blank, but with deteriorated polyester resin /
> exposed FG weave down the length of one side, the
> blank will probably always be lop-sided in
> strength, flexibility and frequency. Sanding the
> exposed FG will accentuate the issue.
> But if you are @#$%&-bent on trying, consider
> this. Natural FG cloth is white in appearance; it
> did not turn white all those years exposed in the
> sun (UV). FG (glass) is fairly UV resistant. The
> resin was tinted (black) which deteriorated,
> turned to dust and fell off the blank from
> prolonged UV exposure. Carefully, as in gently,
> apply polyester resin, tinted black, to just the
> exposed / damaged side of the blank, just enough
> to encapsulate the exposed weave. If it is
> possible, and before applying the resin, put a
> bend in the blank OPPOSITE TO THE PRESENT WARP; if
> it is 4in off to the left, bend it 4in to the
> right (just a guess as to how much bend to
> induce). Let it cure for a minimum of 3 days; 1
> week would be better (at 70*F +). Ultimately, post
> curing it at a consistent 150*F for 12 hours would
> be best, but that is probably impractical for
> you.
> I am always intrigued by a challenge, but I think
> this project may be pushing the limits of what is
> possible, at least feasible. Nonetheless, I am
> VERY interested in what you decide and how it
> turns out = please keep me posted.

I like that plan. I have made a couple surfboards out of both resin and epoxy so I have played around withe stuff quite a bit. I can get very small quantities from a small surf glassing place right up the road, as I wont need much.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 06, 2021 02:43PM

Fred,
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! I’ll be waiting for “news at 11:00”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster