I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Ultimate Wrapping Thread ?!?!?!
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2021 08:05PM

Maybe ProWrap Merlot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2021 08:06PM

Norman, if you need some Gudbrod garnet, I can part with a big spool. Let me know if you want it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 06, 2021 08:16PM

Mick, for sure! I’ll email you. Thanks
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 06, 2021 09:39PM

I am less concerned with using other builder’s opinions of the different qualities of the available thread brands for my personal benefit as I am to, hopefully, provide a “base” for others to view and assist them in their own selection. Each brand / type has its own pros and cons which depends on how it is viewed by each individual builder and the effect they prefer / are seeking. A viewable “base” could be a huge benefit to many to avoid wasting money on trial-and-error. Just my feeble, hopefully not futile, attempt to help.
The replies thus far have been very enlightening (and appreciated) to that goal; hopefully others recognise the possible benefit to the rod building craft and will contribute as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 07, 2021 06:07AM

Mark, I use regular nylon thread, with no CP. I bought CP with my initial purchase of rod building supplies, but have never used it on a build. I did some test wraps using it and thought it took away some of the shine when compared to the same color, without CP. No, the thread color didn't change, but it just didn't have that same shine. I've never tried the NCP thread. I just don't like the way it looks in the pictures on the various web sites.

I actually enjoy the color change of regular nylon thread once finish is applied. The only problem is that I have to buy several different shades of thread to experiment with. I have more than a few spools that I'll never use again because I didn't like their final color in a test wrap. And while I have seen it mentioned many times that wetting the thread with DA will show the color once finish is applied, I do not find that to be true at all. It will simply darken the thread, but it doesn't give the same translucency that finish does. At least not to my eyes.

And Michael Sutheimer, The wraps I did with the Pro Wrap Silver Smoke were fine out of the gate. It took a little more than a year before they started streaking. In the last year and a half, so about 4 years total, they look horrible. Some areas of them are almost completely white. I'll be redoing the rod this winter. The blank is a Quickline SJ782 , which has a gloss black painted finish. I am a little concerned about keeping the blank's finish intact when I scrape the old guide finish off. Thankfully the guides will be going back in the same locations they are at now, so I should be ok.

I replaced the guides on a Shimano Convergence crankbait rod that I have, that had the same type gloss black finish as the Quickline. And even though I was very careful scraping the old guide finish off, because the new guides weren't in the same locations at the old guides, you can clearly see where the old guides were.

Date: November 07, 2021 02:48PM

Thanks, David.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 04:26PM

David the color prowrap nylon you mentioned as fading sounded familiar, so I looked at a rod I built for my son in 12/2019 to check for issues. (also nylon with no CP applied, just finish). As it turned out the thread used was #813 silver shiner, and it showed no fading at this point, but I know it hasn't seen the exposure your rods have. So at this point my response is moot. lol However, I have uncovered a discrepancy. I believe Silver Smoke should be #822, and #831 should be Smokescreen. So I guess I'm saying I'm not sure which color you actually used. I just know it's not the one I used.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 08, 2021 05:12PM

Lynn, I could say I need my prescription checked, but in actuality I just need to write the right name on the spools. lol You are absolutely right, 831 is Smoke Screen, and it is the color giving me the trouble. I actually have it on two rods. The rod I built on the Quickline blank, and my drop shot rod that is built on an NFC DS 6107 IM blank. The IM blank is a natural graphite finish and it is showing streaking as well. Tthey aren't as bad as those on the Quickline blank, but the drop shot rod is a couple of years newer. I'm pretty confident that they'll end up looking just as bad.

It really disappointing too, because I really loved the color charcoal it produced. I loved it so much I bought another spool of it shortly after building my drop shot rod. I really would like to know if it is something I did that caused the fading, but I can't think of anything I might have done to cause it. Other than brushing off any possible dust with a brush prior to applying finish, I don't wipe the wraps down with anything, so I can't see it being something I do.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 06:17PM

Lets hope it was just a bad spool for whatever reason. I'm right there on your color likes. I could live with blk, wht, silver, and many variations of grey-bluish for the most part. That said, love red nylon without CP.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: November 08, 2021 11:39PM

I prefer Fuji Ultra Poly for wrapping guides. I have absolutely no interest in thread art, so maybe something works better for people who appreciate that pursuit. I wasn’t really a fan of “god’s eyes” when they were in style in the 1970’s. I wouldn’t want to weigh down any of my rods with them a few decades later.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 09, 2021 01:25PM

My favorite is Gudebrod. I am fortunate that I had a large inventory when they went out of business. I have tried many of the other brands, especially Prowrap, which I find not to have enough stretch..

Date: November 10, 2021 10:01PM

Although the head-of-steam may be cooling, I appreciate the continued replies to build, small as it may be, a “thread base” from which others might benefit. Thanks to all contributing!!!

Mark Talmo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster