I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blue metallic thread
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2021 06:47PM

Question concerning reported loss of color over time with blue metallic thread. I've read, here and on other sites with rod building forums, that blue metallic thread eventually loses its' color over time. Supposedly it turns white? Has anyone had this happen with builds they've done, or is this simply a myth?

The reason I ask is, I am starting to order components for a new jerkbait rod I'm going to build over the winter. I bought the reel I am going to be using on it, going with one of the new Shimano SLX MGL 70 reels instead of a Curado MGL 150 that I mentioned most likely using in a previous thread. Anyhow, the SLX MGL has some blue accents on it, (thankfully not the big blue lettering of other SLX models) and I may want to use some metallic blue trim bands on the wraps. But I won't put them on if there is a chance that the trim bands start turning white, 5 or more years down the road,

Any help or experiences that either confirm or deny the possibility of color change will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue metallic thread
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 04, 2021 06:57PM

My experience with has been with Gudebrod blue and teal metallics and they did fade badly, nearly white with hints of metallic still visible, but little color remaining. Hitena has fade proof metallics.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2021 07:38PM

Lynn, you're awesome !!! Reading what you said about Hitena fade proof metallics I just got done looking at their web site. Seems that even some of their blues must fade, because some of the shades of blue they offer weren't on their list for UV fade proof guarantee. But the color I will use if I do decide to go with trim rings, is 1076 Navy blue is on the fade proof list, so I ordered a spool of it, as well as some of their black regular nylon.

Thanks again my friend.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 04, 2021 08:16PM

I think embroidery threads are fade resistant, Sulky in every color metallic I have tried has not faded, some are approaching 15 years old. I have tried blue 142 7016, gold 142 7007, silver 142 7009, Christmas red 142 7014, pine green 142 7042.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2021 02:36AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: November 04, 2021 09:44PM

Sulky is only one I have used that hasn’t faded

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2021 10:40AM

I have had Gudebrod blues fade badly but that has not been the case with Pro-Wrap metallics ......so far.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 05:20PM

Spencer and Thomas thank you very much for your replies, they are very much appreciated. Spencer, I really like seeing you mention that some of your builds are approaching 15 years, and haven't faded. I've seen Sulky mentioned in pretty much glowing terms on this forum, so I will definitely be checking out what they have to offer as soon as I am done with this reply. Once again, thank you guys.

Joseph, thank you for your reply as well. It too is very much appreciated. I like seeing that you mention not having problems with the Pro Wrap metallics, as of yet. I'm curious if you have tried any of their blues, as it seems what I have read here and other rod building related forums, that blues are the only colors mentioned that seem to fade. I haven't been building long, so none of my builds have a lot of years on them just yet. I've used Pro Wrap metallic for the trim bands on all of my rods that have trim bands on them, but one. The other one being Alps metallic (very nice stuff BTW) and haven't seen any signs of them fading. But this will be the first trims bands using any type of blue colored thread.

Maybe it's just Gudebrod that has the problem with fading. Hope so. I still haven't decided on putting trim bands on this build, or not, but I now have some confidence that if I do, I will be using thread that will hold up to several years or more.

Thanks again guys. I truly appreciate your responses. Now I just have to decide on a blank. lol

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 05, 2021 07:31PM

David, I'm not worthy. I am currently lost in a sea of tip ring I.D. confusion. Guess I don't know it all... Lol

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 08, 2021 10:03AM

David......I have used a lot of Pro Wrap metallics....I build a lot of Blue/Black/Silver color schemes and have had no problems. I do know however, that the majority of the rods I build are stored indoors when they are not being fished. This will minimize UV exposure.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2021 05:21PM

Joseph, thank you for your response, I appreciate it greatly, and am happy to see that you've had no problems with the metallic blues from Pro Wrap. Like yours, my rods are stored indoors so to speak, as they are stored either in my rod box or in my house when not in use, so the only exposure they get is when I will be using them during the day. I have an order from Mud Hole for the guides for my new jerkbait rod build,due to be delivered to me this coming Monday, but I have some other things I'm going to be needing from them so after reading your experience I'll be adding a spool of 9470 Bluefin to that order.

The Bluefin looks like it will be an excellent match for the Alps cobalt blue trim rings and MVT reel seat hood.

Anyhow. thanks again for your response. I truly appreciate it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster