I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Seamaster 83 Stickbait GUIDE SPACING???
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 08:50AM

I've searched the forum but have not found any suggestions.
I'm building on the above 8'3" blank that is rated at: PE 2-4, 45-100g lures. I'm building it as a CASTING MODEL rather than spinner, and think that 11 guides should do it, plus the tip. The guides are Fuji double foot KWs from sz. #16 down to #8s. Anyone build on this blank as a casting model. I'm looking for a starting point before doing the static test... TIA.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Seamaster 83 Stickbait GUIDE SPACING???
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 08:13PM

T CTSGT-Fight Fight is also used for popping though in salt water, and so would be a good place to start. Here's the CTS Guide Spacing chart - [ctsfishing.zendesk.com]- The Bay Caster series is used for top water from a boat. Compare to the GTS Fight. Ithe chart is for a spinning rod, but changing the stripping guide shoul take care of that - [ctsfishing.zendesk.com]

Hope this helps. If nothing else, give CTS a call, or contact Herb.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 08:15PM by Robert Flowers.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 03, 2021 10:42AM

Thanks for that link Robert.
I always thought that spinning models, as a general rule, used less number of guides, since the line doesn't touch the blank?
Herb nor CTS have guide blueprints for casting models... bummer.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 03, 2021 05:34PM

I believe you are correct.
However, the guides should get you into the ballpark A two line static test will then allow you to finalize your guide spacing.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 03, 2021 09:15PM

Dennis
Use the CTS schedule for the spinning version - BUT add 4 guides. Start stripper closer than spinning.
Do static flex as a spinning rod.
Use my system of using neoprene "O" rings that can be moved up and down the blank without scratching the blank. They "stick" to the blank i.e. they don't move when line is tensioned.
I wouldn't bother with 2 lines. You'll get very close with a single line.
Slide the rings up and down the blank until you get a smooth flow.
Now mark the blank where the rings sit.
Attach guides using 0.5mm "Stretch Magic" available at Michaels or Joanns - or any good hobby store - or on line [www.hobbylobby.com].
Make 8-10 wraps under as much tension as you can - and secure with 2 over-hand knots.
Now turn rod over and flex test as a casting rod.
Subtract or add guides as needed - move guides as needed.
I think it will be very close
Herb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2021 09:25AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: November 04, 2021 09:55AM

Hello Herb.
Which chart / model am I following? The 9ft. Seamaster?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: November 04, 2021 10:07AM

Dennis
I would use the numbers I sent you on email for 8' blank.
It's only a start - add 4 guides - space them by eye - gradually increasing spacing from tip to butt..
Then test.
The elastic thread will prevent the guides from rotating when testing as a casting rod.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster