I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Guide Placement
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 01, 2021 05:55PM

I received today the replacement section for my 8 weight, 9 foot CTS rod blank. I'm using a #16 Fuji KR stripping guide, #5 make brand eco guides, and a Snake brand #5 tip top. Anyone have guide spacing on the CTS blank? Of course I'll be doing a static test. A starting point would good though. The reel will be a Lamson Guru II.

Oh, and thanks Herb, for all of your help.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Guide Placement
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:30PM

Robert,
Why can’t you just temporarily mount the guides with dental bands or tape in a nice, progressive spacing and then 2-line static load test for the precise locations? Oftentimes, if the progressive spacing LOOKS good, it will coincide pretty dang close with the static load test.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:35PM

CTS has generic guide spacing charts for their fly rods.
[ctsfishing.zendesk.com]
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 11:29PM

Start with the stripper at 20 inches and go up or down from there.

Place the guides as far from each other as possible to still insure that the line follows the loaded blank without touching the blank and you will be good to go.

That also means using as few guides as possible and still meet the above criteria.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 11:30PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: November 02, 2021 01:29AM

A stripper guide @ 20" on a fly rod? I think not

Posted by: Christopher Zucker (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 01:32PM

20" from the top of the grip seems about right to me. I'm assuming that's what Roger was indicating.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 02, 2021 01:34PM

32 inches from the butt of the rod. You can play with things all you want, but if you put the stripping guide 32 inches from the butt, you'll be right.

If you assume a 5 inch reel seat, a 7 inch grip and then another 20 inches from the front of the grip, you'll be at 32.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 04:52PM

I put the stripper just in front of my reached out hand were I am going to grab the line to strip it in. It is a custom rod, so make it custom to your reach. I will always mount the reel seat, butt piece and grip first then after it is ready to accept the reel, mount it, put the blank pieces together; then see where to mount the stripper according to your reach. If it is for a customer, do it to his reach. Start with a arbitrary position (20" from reel / 32" from butt end) then adjust it.

Date: November 02, 2021 07:46PM

I tape on the guides according to the CTS guide spacing specs for starters. I then did the two line static test. The guide spacing was near perfect, with the stripper just at the end of the female ferrule on the 2nd section from the butt. It's about perfect for grabbing the line and stripling it in. My transparent wraps are coming out really nice. My only issue is that with my eyesight, it takes long enough that my upper back muscles feel it. At least it did for the first guide foot. The 2nd one went much faster. Just out of practice. I want this rod to be as perfect.as I can get it, my masterpiece, not a lot of bling, just a super well made fly rod.

RJF

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 02, 2021 09:43PM

Robert,
And I am certain it will be!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: November 04, 2021 06:01PM

I changed my Alps Power Wrapper thread sled setup, winding the thread around the other spool holders to create a little more tension. It worked perfectly, not so tight that I can't pull the thread trough after 15 turns over the pull loop, but tight enough not to jump backward. oot three, two foot snake guides wrapped perfectly in an hour. Five guides, plus hook keeper are completed. Just 5 more to go. Son will check alignment, the epoxy time.

RJF

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 04, 2021 06:02PM

Let me add my opinion as to why 20 inches is not correct. It is too close to the reel to allow a reasonable reach to the guide to start an efficient and effective line pickup from the water, especially if one plans on doing a double haul. While some may argue with the 32 as an absolute, it's a lot closer to right for everyone than 20 is..

Date: November 06, 2021 01:40PM

Just 2 more guides to go, four feet. Then, the son needs to eyeball them for perfect straightness. Now that the tension is just right, the power wrapper makes thing quick. The hardest part is getting the wrap started. And that's not difficult.

RJF

Date: November 06, 2021 06:46PM

all guides are wrapped. When my son gets home, I'll ask him to verify the guide alignment, then, epoxy time. I'm excited. I will show pictures.

RJF

Date: November 08, 2021 10:35PM

Got the 2nd coat of Gen 4 on half of the guides after removing thread nubs with a razor blade; Will complete the other half tomorrow. By Wednesday morning, except for setting up the reel, and associated Ines, this rod will be done. I'm excited.

RJF

Date: November 09, 2021 10:01PM

The rThogh I have the button to load pictures, I can't seem to get the hang of it. Besides, getting things in tight focus is a problem with my cell phone. Here's a link to another site showing the pictures, not a rod building site, so no competition with Rodbuilding.org. - od is complete. [www.discusscooking.com]

RJF

Date: November 13, 2021 09:12PM

Ok, I'm gpoing to try and put my latest build pictures in the picture area. I hope this works.

RJF

Date: November 13, 2021 09:31PM

Don't rememcer my password. I tried resetting it without sucess. Sorry, no pictures.

RJF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster