I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Announcement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 02:22PM

There are millions of people in North America who fish. Some fish more than others, but they all share one thing in common - at some point nearly each one of them will need some form of rod and/or reel repair. My own experience in the custom rod building and rod repair business for nearly 20 years revealed to me that most people who need these repair services do not know where to turn and end up either throwing their equipment out or just standing it in the corner. You may choose not to believe it, but it is true. I would even wager than less than 1/3rd of those who need repair of some sort actually ever find anyone to do it.

At the other end of the spectrum is the rod and/or reel repairman. He or she has the knowledge, parts and equipment to make these repairs and get these people’s equipment back on the water. What most repair persons do not have, however, is the money to cost effectively advertise their services to those very people who need it.

Thus, TackleWorks is born. The link at the lower left hand side of this page is now active so you can go see it for yourself. There are a few changes and refinements to be made, but essentially it is ready to go. It will connect those who repair rods and reels with those who need repair work.

And make no mistake, TackleWorks will do exactly what it promises to do - bring those of you who do repair work some new business. How do I know that? Because I understand that in order for it to work, fishermen need to be told about it. And because I understand that, I have taken great pains to reach millions of them through advertising and marketing. This past week, notices of the TackleWorks site went out to 260 fishing publications across North America. 2 major publications have already notified me that they will print an announcement of the new service in their early Spring issues. More will follow. Paid advertisements will also run in no less than 15 of the major fishing magazines starting in late Winter. Let’s just say that by early next year, fishermen across North America will be aware of it and will be using it to find people who can repair their rods and reels.

I have a few dozen people to add to the database over the weekend. Some are already listed in NC, FL and CA. That will give you some idea of what the listings look like.

There are a handful of other services the site will offer as well. But for now, just take a look and see if it is something that might be of some benefit to you. I expect to have between 400 and 500 rod/reel repair persons and even custom builders on the site within a year, and more than enough fishermen using it that they will all see some benefit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Announcement
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2001 05:37PM

Got to add my 2 cents worth re repairs,in addition to what Tom has stated what becomes one of the hardest jobs in rod repairs is informing the customer that their favorite rod has departed this fair world and is not worth repairing, have had some ridiculous offers to repair rods,people offering double what they paid at wallmart to get their rod repaired.On a more serious note every rod repaired becomes an advertisement of your work and eventually some of these customers will return to discuss custom rods and they will speak to others about the quality of your work which further increases your customer base,finally your custom rods business may slow down at times and the repairs can take up a part of the slack periods and there are ALWAYS damaged rods to be repaired.
John

Mucho good ideeee!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.116.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 06:15PM

Jeez, can't wait to see what Kirkman's finely tuned brain will come up with next.

Re: Mucho good ideeee!
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 28, 2001 06:39PM

Tom,
Congratulations with the debut of the new site. I think you'll get great interest and support, and a much needed and awaited service should be very appreciated for anglers throughout North America
(yes, the U.S. And Canada).

Mike, that finely tuned brain holds simple ideas but at a genius level.
I have an idea what's up next, but I ain't tellin'. In all seriousness, Tom Kirkman's dedication to the craft of custom rodbuilding is with intense committment and dogged effort. Besides the value of his journalistic expertise, he is helpful, informative and fair.

I'm proud to have met a great contact and friend in custom rodbuilding and am proud of my business to support this site as a sponsor. Keep up the great effort!

Richard Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel Service
www.solyrich.com

Big head
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.116.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 08:35PM

Careful Rich, his head is big enough now!

Not to me
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2001 08:41PM

He doesn't act like someone with a big head from what I see and hear. Just very helpful. I have looked it over and I think this is for me. I will be sending my info just tell me how much via my email. I also assume there is no deadline to get listed and that it will be an ongoing thing?

Re: Mucho good ideeee!
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2001 08:43PM

Hey Tom what a great idea. I love it. May I suggest something? There are a number of folks who are looking for not just reel repairs but reel modifications especially when it comes to conventionals but to the best of my knowledge only a few folks do that kind of work. Some are here in the US and Canada and there are some in the UK and Italy. The point is that there are a lot more folks looking for "hot rod" reels than there are folks to do the work. Don't know if you'd consider getting those folks in that venue on the site or not but thought it might be a consideration.
There are some really talented "reel hot rodders" who can do wonders.
You all will not have any dumb questions from me for a while. I'm leaving for SC in the AM. Going to have to spend some time with my USAF Nurse daughter and her USAF Doctor husband. Gotta have the "dreaded Triple By Pass." I'm alone up here so it'll be cheaper and better for me to have the operation close to where she's stationed so that I can recover under the supervision of her and her husband. They can tolerate me & only just barely so a bunch of strangers would probably just shoot me after a short time.
My 2 sons could do it but they're both chasing Mr. Ben Laden so I have to impose on my girl. I hate to do it but they both insist and I 'm lucky that they want to help.
Anyhow,gents. Molly has a computer so as soon as I get out of the "meat locker" I'll check in to see what's been going on. Best Regards to all. Warren

Good luck
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2001 09:02PM

Good luck on the surgery. I know it will come out well.

On the new site, it sounds great. I suppose I should sign on if I really want to do this on a serious basis.

Re: Good luck Warren
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 28, 2001 09:51PM

Warren,
Again, I know you'll get through your surgery, and get back to let us know your're back into rodbuilding as soon as possible.
Your suggestion about reel rodders is a good one, though not my specialty. I like the idea of matching up the right reel with a custom rod.

Mike, we'll temper our accolades for Tom's big head when he stops being so darned kind and helpful with these great ideas. I know, must be all that extra while recouperating. Just hope he will keep at our interests and continue with the good publishing. Our heads can benefit by the 'big head'.
You better get that cleaning tank ready for increased reel repairs, and keep your rod parts stocked. The work will be tackled with tackleworks.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster