I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A pet peeve - reel seat bushings
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: October 29, 2021 10:49PM

One of my pet peeves - why don't reel seat manufacturers offer bushings that fit their seats???
Or - alternatively - at least make the I.D. of the seat compatible with existing bushings now on the market..
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A pet peeve - reel seat bushings
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 29, 2021 11:37PM

Herb

I'm with you, I have to buy the next size larger and turn them down to get them to fit seat the way I want. It is extra work but it's the only way to get a proper fit.

John

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 01:46AM

I tend to go with whatever bushing is a touch sloppy. Then use some narrow tape to make a couple bands over the bushing, usually about a 1/4 of the way in from each end. Just want to create a tight spot to line things up nice. Then a good coat of rod bond takes care of any play along the length of the bushing.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 07:52AM

I go the route that John goes. If I can't find an arbor that fits the reel seat perfectly, I go a size larger and sand it down by hand to make it fit. I only use the foam arbors, so sanding them is quick and easy. But yeah, it is extra work.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 10:00AM

A tiny percentage of builders use foam arbors, so it's probably not worth it for the reel seat companies to bother selling them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2021 10:51AM

The arbors are purposely undersized because the manufacturers know that many builders will not get the arbors reamed to a perfect concentric fit on the rod blank. If you fail to do this, then a perfectly sized arbor won't allow the seat to go on. So some small difference in size allows for a less than perfect fit.

Builders who bore their arbors on a lathe, or are simply very careful to ream them to perfectly fit the blank, don't have this problem. To them, the corresponding arbors are a sloppy fit. But the manufacturers have to build for the masses, most of who are not able to get such a precise fit.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 11:20AM

I just buy the foam universal arbors and cut the lengths I need. I quit depending on the ones that come with the seats to fit. I have a whole bunch of undersized arbors that I don't use. Every once in a while I will find a use for them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 11:25AM

Here is a use for them. They are fragile, especialy at the edges, unitl installed with a couple coats of wrap epoxy, but after installation, they are plenty strong. I've done this many times, had one failure of a shim that had voids. Never had a failure of the light colored ones or the dark Pac Bay shims. I paint them to get a uniform, specific, color.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: October 30, 2021 03:48PM

Good point, Herb. I thought it was just me who does not like the fit of most foam arbors / bushings.
I am quite surprised with Billy’s reply “A tiny percentage of builders use foam arbors…” If that is the case, what do the majority use, masking tape? Drywall tape? From reading this forum, it seems as though the majority use foam arbors / bushings. I have tried the three methods above and found drywall tape a PITA so employ either .125in wide masking tape or foam. If there is a large gap to fill between the seat and blank and want to keep the weight down, I add micro spheres to the epoxy.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 30, 2021 04:17PM

I like the foam arbors and use them for most reel seats. I glue them in the reel seat and then ream to fit the blank. Have not had problems using using them. I also like dry wall tape for thin arbors. I much prefer it over masking tape, and don’t find it a PITA to use. To each their own, use what ever works best for you.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 04:23PM

Interesting .... I use micro spheres in the plastic of a couple of soft plastic baits that I make. I use enough of the spheres in the plastic of one bait in particular, that will float a 3/0 Owner Down Shot hook. I originally made it for use as a drop shot bait, but using the amount of spheres needed to float the hook adds a lot of firmness to the soft plastic. It just doesn't have the action I was looking for in a drop shot bait. But it's a dandy little bait on a finesse Carolina rig.

Date: October 30, 2021 05:18PM

By far most builders use masking tape.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 05:31PM

If the geometry is consistent with the use of a rigid polyurethane shim, I'll choose it every time. Lighter, less affected by water if I screw up with the epoxy, easy, I like the idea of full contact between the seat and the shim.

Date: October 30, 2021 05:49PM

There are several advantages in using the foam arbors. Aside from the great stiffness to weight ratio, they're just plain quick. It's a 5 minute job, or less, if you have a lathe. If not there are other creative ways to get a good fit.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: October 30, 2021 09:05PM

Thanks for the re-reply, Billy. When I first started building rods and prior to joining this forum, I employed narrow masking tape bushings for my seats = simple, cheap, easy, almost infinitely adjustable and I have not experienced a failure. After learning of the foam bushings on this forum, I tried them and was very impressed = easy to bond into the seat, (can) afford full-length support and they are just about the easiest and quickest material to ream to fit the blank. I consider foam bushings an outstanding method for mounting most seats, light-medium duty, but will rely on full, packed epoxy under the seats (with tape bushings) of heavier, >50lb builds.
I am certainly not in a position to question Mr. Vivona’s veteran observation, let alone which method he actually employs, but am simply curious as to how many builders use tape bushings in lieu of foam? Old-school VS modern yet both get the job done. I am here to learn.
Excuse me for stepping on your post Herb.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 09:48PM

I have a couple carbon tube seat inserts here that fit too loosely in TVS #16 seats, and I mean so loosely they will have to be arbored a bit or they won't be concentric in the seat. They actually have end play if you move them back and forth in the bore. I've built quite a few of these, and never had this problem before. This is a major annoyance, and not what I expect from Fuji. I guess we can't expect much out of shims either.

Date: October 30, 2021 09:55PM

It's not old vs new - it's how almost every single class and instructional teaches using masking tape. So every single builder starts out using tape. Arbors are not easy to use, and the spade bit with pilot that is "needed" to work with them are awfully expensive, bordering on cost prohibitive for a vast majority of builders. I assume most builders try to ream the 1/4" hole out of the arbor, and end up off center reaming, crushing, or can't find a reamer small enough. THey are also quite expensive, expecially compared to tape.
Masking tape is pretty much "free", perfectly centered, and easy to install without screwing up. People build confidence doing it that way, and don't bother trying anything else.
I use the arbors.I had the jig to make the pilot spade, and was trying to work with a welder to make them for me so I could sell them. Epoxy is OK for arbors, but teh way a lot of NERBs bore stabilized wood the epoxy melts and the pilot spins off.

Date: October 30, 2021 10:00PM

The original question concerned arbors that are a bit undersized for the prescribed seat. To that end, there is nothing wrong with using them as-is and applying a single wrap of fiberglass drywall tape on top to shim the shim. Usually that's all it takes.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 30, 2021 10:46PM

It is easier to remove material than it is to add material. That being said the designers provide arbors with small ID to be fitted to the blank but they did not apply this concept to the OD.

Yes blank diameters are not standard and vary and most cases the arbors have to be reamed, but reel seats are standard so it would be easy to provide arbors with a better fit.

If I have to rely on tape to make the arbor to work, then I really don't need an arbor I might as well use all tape.

This is another example of having to work around a deficiency to.accomplish a task.

Just trying to support Herbs' pet peeve.

Regards

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 11:10PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 31, 2021 07:37AM

Foam arbors.
Foram arbors are very easy to shape and work with. Because of the issue about having arbors undersized, I just purchase the next one or two sizes larger and sand them down to the perfect fit for the inside of the reel seat.
It is so simple and so easy to do.

I have a number of various sized files of various sizes that I use for reaming. I also use one of the smaller ones to get the arbors down to the perfect size. I just insert the appropriate sized file into the hole in the arbor. Then, I chuck the file into the chuck of a variable speed drill.
I have several different width bench top belt sanders with different grit papers on each. So, I simply turn on the vertical belt sander, turn on the drill in the direction that is opposite the direction of the sanding belt and hold the arbor in place for a couple of seconds to get the perfect fit on the arbor to the reel seat and the arbor is good to go. I will then, normally glue the arbor into the reel seat and after the glue has set, ream the arbor to match the blank, using the appropriate file in the drill spinning backward, so that the circular file does not screw itself into the arbor and split it open.

A picture of the files that I have modified over the years to use as reamers. I cut off the triangle end on the file and then, chuck the file into the chuck on my lathe. Then, I use a grinding wheel to grind down the hard file metal to give a uniform shape and size for use in a drill chuck. I also grind a point on the end of each file, so that if necessary, I can use the sharpened point to enter a smaller hole as might be found in an arbor or a cork ring when building.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster