I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Impact resistant guide rings
Posted by: Adam Maxwell (---.sbr1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:06PM

Hi.
I'm trying to find a particular set of rod guides and was wondering if anyone could help.

I'm looking for a set of guides that will be impact resistant. Often AC or SIC guides are embedded in a steel frame, when the steel frame is bumped it transfers the impact to the much harder (and more brittle) AC/SIC resulting in the rings cracking.
I have an older fishing rod that has AC guides seated in a plastic which is then seated in the steel frame. These things are indestructible. I have bashed and bent the steel frames multiple times and the rings have never cracked. The plastic allows for some bending and guide just keeps on working.

Anyone know of such guides for sale?

What's it for? I'm building a 12 foot overhead 6wrap fiberglass rod that will be used for rock fishing.
Why does it get beaten up? I walk about 2k through rough terrain and dense trees to fish off bouldery cliffs in big seas.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Impact resistant guide rings
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:15PM

I have been fishing for over 75 years, and while the guides when I started didn't have rings, they have for a long time. I have never cracked a ring. I have built and used many rods with Alconite, Zirconium, SIC, and probably many other ring materialsI have never cracked a ring.

If you are cracking rings, I thnk you may not be taking good enough care of your rods. Quit bashing and bending.

Sorry for being so direct, but if you want to have the top performance for your rods, you have to take reasonable precautions against abusing them. If this is not an option, then use guides without ceramic rings-there are a number of offerings without ceramic rings, using stainless steel rings in stainless steel frames which are probably more resistant to bashing and bending.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:37PM

You walk two thousand miles through rough terrain and dense trees to fish off treacherous cliff's in big seas ?

As much as I love fishing I myself would most likely opt for a different fishing spot but hey everyone's different .

How about transporting the rod in a tube until you reach that location or just use non ceramic guide rings . You can also consider leaving the blank at that location and just transport the reel back and forth since it takes a lot of abuse anyway.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:48PM

I think 2 K means 2 kilometers.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:50PM

2 Kilometers

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:58PM

I know that guys , sarcasm never works on the net .

Posted by: Grant Darby (63.225.164.---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:58PM

I replace guides with cracked, chipped and missing inserts all the time. I don't think you have any other choices except inserts or plain rings. I think the recessed ring type is a bit more capable of withstanding damage. The only bulletproof guide I know of is the stainless frame boat guides with carbide rings.....like the Alps CWB.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 06:17PM

It's all in the punctuation.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 07:04PM

Pac Bay DP with chrome ring

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 07:39PM

I know what you are talking about. I don't think it is your only, or best option. A lot would depend on if you are using braid or mono. Anyhow see if Fuji BNHG Rod Guides are what you are looking for. The BPHT is the matching tip.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 07:42PM

Fuji used to sell guides like that, I guess you can look on @#$%& and see if they can be bought there. I'm not sure the models
Another option is to look into wire guides with no insert

THere is nothign better than when someone who actually does something, is told by people clueless - how they should be doing it. I think when he wants to hear your opinions for how he fishes, he'll ask. Internetting at it's finest here

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 07:45PM

American Tackle CER guides are thr only thing I can think of right now.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 09:45PM

Pac Bay minima guides have a stainless steel ring also Mudhole has a stainless steel ring guide that will never crack or chip.

Unless used by that mysterious entity that is always the exception to all things,

Sarcasm.

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2021 09:57PM

The guides you are talking about are antiques. Modern ring materials are much harder yet not nearly so brittle as the first porcelin and AO rings used inside of those plastic shock rings, which by the way, were/are terribly heavy.

If you're commonly breaking modern ceramic guides you're very hard on your equipment. They're not that fragile.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 10:30PM

It sounds like the guy already has used the older guides succesfully for a very long time, and he has used the newer guides for a very short time and they hold up.

Posted by: Roger Monk (---.9fc4ec.mel.nbn.aussiebb.net)
Date: October 20, 2021 07:03AM

Adam - I have got some of the old Fuji BNHG guides with the green shock rings you can have for nothing if they meet your needs. I’m also in Oz (Melbourne) so I can post them to you without too much trouble. They come off a Snyderglass FSU5120 and a Butterworth SU5138 so they are rather old. I’ll check out the sizes if you want.

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 20, 2021 10:11AM

The very best ceramic on the market is Si3N4 or silicon nitride. It has the best fracture resistance on the market, period. Silicon nitride was developed for ball bearings in jet engines, it has some elasticity to the ceramic which makes it extremely durable. Most guides break by deforming or hitting the frame on something. Normal ceramics are fairly brittle. Silicon nitride is not quite as hard as SIC, but it is much more durable because of its flexibility. Not only is it extremely durable, but it is also a little lighter than SIC by the way of testing specific gravity. One last note is that in that up to about the size 20 ring RS our version of silicon nitride weighs less than the steel rings.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 10:13AM by Rick Hall.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:57PM

Even though it has been used for a long time in guides it is only recently that the industry has gone nuts over it, doesn't make much sense.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2021 03:13PM

I believe that silicon nitride rings were originally intended for use with wire lines. The other benefits that Rick mentions may be something the industry is embracing these days.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 20, 2021 03:52PM

Guides with no insert and you will find it impossible an insert that is not there.

Pac Bay minima and Recoil guides fit the bill and many many folks employ them for 0 cracking but long wearing.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster