I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nylon threads that look good on a dark blank
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: October 19, 2021 11:36AM

So far i have found that I like nylon threads without color preserver best. I'd like to also use nylon with color preserver but so far, I always end up with a tad of splotchyness that I can clearly see after the second coat before I even apply the epoxy. I really don't like the nocp threads, they just look like tape and are lifeless to me. So the question is, what nylon colors look good without CP on dark blanks? Mostly, every color, well, every color I have tried ends up very dark, and it's just not to attractive. White blanks, which I prefer, are no problem, nylon colors just pop and look great. I'm beginning to think that this is the way it is since the nylons all seem to be translucent once the epoxy goes on. Do any of you have any nylon colors you prefer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 12:03PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nylon threads that look good on a dark blank
Posted by: Terry Bain (---)
Date: October 19, 2021 01:17PM

As the old saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". What looks bad to you may look great to me and vice versa. I would suggest you to make a "color stick" with a dark colored blank section with different color nylon threads and NOCP threads, one with CP and one without and apply epoxy to both. This should answer your question and also give you a future reference for what color threads you would want to use in additional builds. I have one that I made with 22 of my favorite colors on a dark blank and it's a great "tool" in my "tool box". A little time consuming, but worth it.

tmbain@sbcglobal.net
Benton, Ar
"NEVER GIVE UP"

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2021 01:27PM

My favorite nylon threads are red, green, blue, brown and black. The read gets dark like blood and comes to life in the sun.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: October 19, 2021 01:38PM

Terry Bain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As the old saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of
> the beholder". What looks bad to you may look
> great to me and vice versa. I would suggest you
> to make a "color stick" with a dark colored blank
> section with different color nylon threads and
> NOCP threads, one with CP and one without and
> apply epoxy to both. This should answer your
> question and also give you a future reference for
> what color threads you would want to use in
> additional builds. I have one that I made with 22
> of my favorite colors on a dark blank and it's a
> great "tool" in my "tool box". A little time
> consuming, but worth it.

I've started one of those, like you said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and besides candy red, I'm not to keen on what I've done so far. Just wondering what others like.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2021 03:08PM

I use Nylon 90% of the time without CP. I've done the same thing Terry has, "sample" wraps on scrap pieces of various blank colors, both Carbon and Fiberglass. I would recommend you do the same. If you want your thread color to be more visible on a dark blank, try using a color that will stand out more, example: Candy Apple Red on a Natural Carbon or Black Blank will darken a bit, but not to the extent that Pro Wrap Wine will. Same goes for the lighter Greens vs Pro Wrap Evergreen, both look cool to me, but the lighter colors in a certain color shade will stand out more.

I agree with you that NCP does not look all that great, looks like "paint" to me and color preserved thread just lacks that "luster" you'll get when you don't use it. The only time I like to use CP is when I am using Olive Green or similar shades on Natural Fiberglass, and its always Silk Olives, Nylon Olives just don't have the color "pop" that silk has in that color.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 19, 2021 04:04PM

I used Pro Wrap 831 Smoke Screen on a Pac Bay Quickline blank, they were painted gloss black. It ended up being a dark charcoal color, and really looks sweet. My latest build was done on one of the new RX10 Eternity blanks. It's a natural graphite finish. I used Pro Wrap 755 Chestnut on it. The wraps ended up about the color of Pro Wrap 767 Chocolate that Mud Hole shows on their web site. I really like it as well. Has a deeper brown color with kind of a goldish sheen in the sun light.

I have metallic trim bands on both of those rods. Pro Wrap silver metallic on the Quickline rod, and Pro Wrap copper metallic on the RX10 rod.

Hearing that red looks pretty sweet, I think I am going to give some Pro Wrap 325 Fire Red a try. Might look pretty sweet.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 04:36PM

Have you considered abandoning the dark side of the thread force in favor of silk? Seriously, if you crave translucence and vibrance then you ought to give a test drive. And regardless of silk or nylon, always test wrap in the grip or reel seat before committing to a color. Two of my favorites on a dark gray or black blank are Kimono silk color #370 or #314, but that is just me.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:20PM

I agree with Terry 100%. There's only one way to really know, and you still don't "really" know, cause all dark blanks are not the same color. Whatever Gudebrod 326 red translates into these days looks like a candied apple. I also like a lot of the grays and gunmetals and darker medium blues as well. I have 3 spools of "gunmetal" here, and they're all different. Some are blue-gray in color and some are clearly in the brown family.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:24PM

"Just wondering what others like"

I like the Royal blue color along with fluorescent greens and fluorescent yellow's . Those are the colors that I use on my darkest colored blanks and I use two coats of CP when I use either Nylon or regular Fuji Ultra Poly.

I have also extensively used NCP thread's and have been happy with the way they look when finished.

Date: October 20, 2021 07:19AM

I appreciate all the responses, you have given me some good ideas. I put a lot of thought into thread color, more than I knew I was going to.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 20, 2021 02:45PM

My favorite has always been garnet/maroon, with, or without CP. Silver metallic is probably my favorite trim.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 20, 2021 03:50PM

Thread that finishes out with the exact same color of the blank.

i.e. select a thread color that exactly matches the color of the rest of the blank.

Then, put on a trim color of your choice is you wish - or build with no trim colors at all. Then, you have a stealth rod which many folks prefer. Grip, blank, guides and a reel make the perfect tool for catching fish. Extra bling does not put any more or less fish in the box.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: October 21, 2021 10:33AM

Hytena Thread's website has some good photos of their assortment of nylon thread (with and without CP) after epoxy coat on a dark blank.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2021 08:17AM

What I have always done is do a test wrap under where the handle is going to go
before starting the build. This way you know exactly what to expect on the color
you are building on, not just a "Dark Blank".

'

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: October 22, 2021 01:18PM

Or, just do a test wrap, anywhere you wish on the blank. Then brush or spray on some denatured alcohol. When still wet, the color you see will be the color of the finished wrap - after finish has been replied.

Be safe

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 24, 2021 10:04PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite has always been garnet/maroon, with,
> or without CP. Silver metallic is probably my
> favorite trim.

The regular Fuji Ultra Poly Maroon looks on a black blank after finishing. I just ordered some Voodoo Dust Mineral in amethyst from Voodoo Rods. I look forward to trying a little of this over the maroon thread. Maroon is such a classic rod color. It probably looks best on bamboo, but it’s no slouch on raw graphite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster