I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim band and invisible wraps?
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: October 12, 2021 12:52PM

I about to wrap a rod with invisible wraps. I wish to have red or brown translucent trim band. What kind of thread color, silk or nylon, do you use? Is silk or nylon thread prefered for the trim band?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 01:16PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim band and invisible wraps?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 12, 2021 01:33PM

Silk will turn more transluscent than nylon, one reason is the natural fiber threads absorb more finish than the synthetics. That would make me believe a synthetics thread trim band would stand out more than a silk one.
NCP thread would be the most pronounced non metallic trim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 01:35PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: October 12, 2021 01:45PM

First let us know whether your main, clear wraps will be nylon or silk.

I prefer silk but that is just a personal preference. As a general rule the diameter of the trim material ought not be larger than the diameter of the main wrap thread. For example, if your main wraps are 000 or 0000 silk, size A nylon trim bands might look odd.

If this is your first clear wrap project I encourage you to complete several test wraps first to verify the epoxy or spar is thinned enough to produce truly clear wraps without "shimmers" and the color shift of the trim band thread is what you want.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2021 03:16PM

If your looking to get totally invisible wraps, you'll need to use Natural color Silk. YLI has a Natural color silk. The ones labeled White will not work, especially on a darker blank. Nylon thread will not go invisible.

As for your trim bands, if you are using a contrasting color, you'll need to do some test wraps, and keep the trim band thread the same or smaller diameter than the main wrap like Don stated.

Best spot to do your test wraps is on the blank section where the grip will go. Easy to remove and install the grip over the spot.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 14, 2021 03:55PM

Video on tag-free trim bands for invisible wraps - [www.youtube.com]

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 16, 2021 09:58AM

Terje,

Another thing to be very careful of - make sure you don't contaminate the thread! If you handle the thread with your fingers (like I do, all hand wraps...) you must make sure your hands are very clean. Otherwise, your "clear" wrap will have blotchy areas where your body oil prevented the finish from penetrating evenly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster