I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide choices
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 11, 2021 08:03PM

What variables in rod use should be considered to make the best choice of guides for a particular rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide choices
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 11, 2021 08:30PM

Quality of build, what the rod will be used for, weight of the rod, sensitivity desired, type of line used, reel type, required power, guide spacing.. That's what I? can think of off the top of my head.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2021 08:58PM

Most guides are terribly overbuilt for the job they are intended to perform. Blanks will fail long before the guides will.

So, what are the lightest guides that can be employed to perform the required task, and for many seasons?

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: October 11, 2021 10:43PM

Phil loves to ask questions he already knows the answers to .

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 11, 2021 11:10PM

1. Relative cost, weight, and sensitivity of the blank? I’m not going to put budget guides on the SCV blank I just ordered.
2. Personal preferences of the builder and/or customer? This puts the “custom” in custom rods.
3. Is this a rod that a TSA inspector will handle? I use the “taco” method to make inspections and repackaging easy, and still frequently have issues. Inspectors and inexperienced fishing partners tend to treat rods very roughly. I don’t use SIC rings for this reason.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 11, 2021 11:22PM

I had a tip top on a rid that was supposed to be convertible as either a spinning, or fly rod. Using Spyderwire braid, The tip top insert developed a groove and caught the line so much that I had to replce the tip top. It was a name brand rod. There are guides that just don't hold up.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 12, 2021 08:34AM

dang those diatoms..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 12, 2021 11:01AM

I guess what I was trying to discover is whether or not some brands/models of guides or guides made of certain materials are better suited than others for specific methods of fishing, such as trolling, casting, jigging, worming, live bait, etc. I do wish I were as knowledgeable as Mr. Nash gives me credit for!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 12, 2021 11:26AM

Phil, most of us have our favorites, ones we trust based on our experience. It would help if we knew more about your application. One variable not yet mentioned is fresh vs. salt water. For salt I only use titanium, but other materials will work if given proper care. I think you have experience in salt with fly, right? I personally use Fujis, the KLH series on spin, the RV for the stripper on bait cast, and KB and KT runners on both. I do this because I've not had any failures, they look good, need little to no prep, and they come in a variety of frame materials and ring materials at different cost points and I choose based on my intent for the rod.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: October 12, 2021 11:22PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dang those diatoms..lol.

They do make a great abrasive paste in braided line????. It’s guide a good thing both components aren’t readily available within the walls of most prisons. Steel bars wouldn’t take long to cut. However, any of the moderate to better ceramic rod guides are far harder than the silicate/silicon dioxide components of diatoms (and those steel bars). Aluminum oxide rings are fairly affordable and much harder than diatoms. Some real corners had to have been cut by that name brand maker, The Vickers scale doesn’t lie.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 09:44AM

Michael: These days my fishing is chiefly done in salt water. I would like to buy "salt water safe" guides to build a "medium duty" (30#) salt-water surf rod. Do any guide makers clearly state the breaking or deformation strength of their guides? Do any guide makers promise or even qualify the salt-water resistance of their guides? If so, I would like to find and read this information for myself.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 13, 2021 10:21AM

Alps has data on their saltwater spray tests for corrosion, seen it many times, call Batson. I've done simple tests on different guides where I hang a downrigger weight of the guide and let it hang for a couple days, none have deflected let alone bent, or failed. Not very scientific, but neither is a hooked fish. If you check out the GSB surf rod demolition test on the Lamiglas YouTube channel, you'll see the tip top either pulls off, or fails in the 60 lb range, but remember the line is attached to the tip top, not running through it, but it gives you an idea of what it takes to blow one up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 10:45AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 13, 2021 12:06PM

Kendall, when i first learned about diatoms, i went "oh no' i,m using braid that can,t be good..so i checked my rod tip tops for wear and found nothing..i use mostly alconites which are about 1800 on the vickers scale and diatoms are 1200..i think as long as i stay with ceramic guides i,m ok with braiid..i don,t want to use anything less than ceramics especially for tip guides..i don,t even use wire guides on my fly rods, all ceramic..

Date: October 13, 2021 03:55PM

Phil, if you want bullet proof corrosion resistance get titanium alloy frames. Not titanium coated, solid alloy. I believe all brands will perform just fine for corrosion. But if you are experienced in salt you know that tackle should be washed with fresh water immediately after every trip. You need to ensure the reel, seats, and other components are not damaged by salt. My experience with hook keepers is that some are inferior to others for corrosion resistance. For that reason I would use titanium keepers for salt, or use a small titanium framed single foot fly guide for a keeper.

Not all titanium guides that I've used have shown the same bending strength/characteristics. You will not find any strength info from the makers. If you want to email me I will give you my impressions. But I tell you up front I have not done any formal strength tests.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.84.---)
Date: October 14, 2021 03:29PM

"I would like to buy "salt water safe" guides to build a "medium duty" (30#) salt-water surf rod"

Obviously you're talking about corrosion and what Michael said above about rinsing off your rod and guides after fishing in the salt is all that's required to make sure guide frames don't corrode on you . If you want more protection against corrosion, Fuji's corrosion resistant coatings are a good choice . If you want the ultimate protection against the elements full titanium alloy frames are the way to go and an even bigger plus for the titanium frames is their incredible weightlessness . Their lack of weight is the # 1 reason I prefer them, the fact that they resist corrosion the best is a very distant second to me but that may be your # 1 reason to choose them.

Date: October 14, 2021 04:53PM

Everything has weight.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 15, 2021 04:48PM

The veil comes off in the 11th post. I would have thought it would have been much sooner than that.

Phil, you're slipping.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: October 15, 2021 05:18PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The veil comes off in the 11th post. I would have
> thought it would have been much sooner than that.
>
> Phil, you're slipping.

I was waiting for the traditional what does it matter you can't push a rope through any guide.

Date: October 15, 2021 06:22PM

I have invented a new long-cast setup: I tie a 4' piece of strong rubber band between my running line and my leader. When the rubber band is out of the guide train I really haul on the forward cast, stretching the rubber band. When I release the line for the cast the energy stored in the rubber band should really launch the cast and that, added to the big push on the line created by the power of the rod unbending, should produce l-o-o-o-n-g casts!

Date: October 15, 2021 06:23PM

I have invented a new long-cast setup: I tie a 4' piece of strong rubber band between my running line and my leader. When the rubber band is out of the guide train I really haul on the forward cast, stretching the rubber band. When I release the line for the cast the energy stored in the rubber band should really launch the cast and that, added to the big push on the line created by the power of the rod unbending, should produce l-o-o-o-n-g casts!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster