I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12wt fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Daren Molina (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2021 02:01PM

I just got an Epic Fly Rod 12wt fiberglass blank. Its a blemish kit and I don't like the reel seat that came with it (kind of a cheap feel, I think they were out of the nicer Epic branded reel seats, hence the blem). What kind of reel seat can I put on a 12wt fiberglass rod? I've never built anything this heavy duty before. Do you need to factor in reel seat twisting fighting big fish? I was thinking a REC RFTS reel seat. Or seeing if I can find a titanium reel seat that will fit on a 12wt. I like the Alps triangle seat but their website says for for 6-8 wt fly rods. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12wt fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 11, 2021 03:08PM

What's the O.D. of the blank where the seat will be?
Herb

Date: October 11, 2021 03:18PM

The butt diameter is 13.4mm. I dug through my stuff some more and found an alps triangle seat and its too narrow and internal diameter. Another REC RFTS I found will fit though...

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 11, 2021 06:54PM

You wouldn't have to take the diameter of the blank down much to fit the Alps R-CAH LX2 onto it. Is .012 inches too much to take off the blank? Glass experts?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: October 11, 2021 07:01PM

Daren,
I use REC stuff exclusively.
IMO the RFTS doesn't hold the reel foot as well as the RSLL.
But check the I.D. with Ryan before.
Herb

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: October 12, 2021 10:04AM

I have built hundreds of heavy line weight saltwater rods over the last thirty years. Put a Fuji #17 pipe seat on it and do not look back. It will never fail and will hold a reel better and more securely than anything else on the market. No slip no wobble,

Posted by: ben belote (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 12, 2021 10:58AM

Fuji pipe seats can,t be beat for spin, fly or casting

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: October 12, 2021 01:35PM

While the pipe style will suffice, they are not designed around the AFFTMA specs for the hoods to hold the reel feet design such as the REC's and Bellingers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2021 08:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: October 12, 2021 04:09PM

The nylon lined hoods on the Fuji and similar are flexible and will perfectly conform to any reel foot shape. This means they make better and more uniform contact the reel foot and allow for contraction and expansion during temperature changes and long term use. NO aluminum seat will ever hold a reel as securely as the Fuji seat. Impossible. And the Fuji type will never corrode or jam. It is a superior reel seat from a performance standpoint.

Date: October 12, 2021 05:04PM

While I am a Fuji fan, I have never had a wobble or click or any indication of a lack of security with the Alps R-CAH with the jam nut. It is a handsome and very robust/secure seat for fly reels. A bit pricey, but you only go around once. With regard to the Fuji and corrosion resistance, it does have metal hoods, right? "Never corrode" ? Never? The Alps is well worth the price. I am not familiar with the other options being presented.

Posted by: David Miller (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: October 12, 2021 05:19PM

Big fan of Lemke seats. High quality and made in the USA.

Date: October 12, 2021 05:34PM

Lemke has very good looking seats that will accept this large blank OD. Promising.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: October 12, 2021 07:25PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I am a Fuji fan, I have never had a wobble
> or click or any indication of a lack of security
> with the Alps R-CAH with the jam nut. It is a
> handsome and very robust/secure seat for fly
> reels. A bit pricey, but you only go around once.
> With regard to the Fuji and corrosion resistance,
> it does have metal hoods, right? "Never corrode"
> ? Never? The Alps is well worth the price. I am
> not familiar with the other options being
> presented.

The Fuji seats will never corrode. Correct. I have them on rods over 25 years old fished almost daily in the salt and they have not corroded so far. I think my statement is fair. If there was a better seat I would use it but have not found one so far.

Date: October 15, 2021 01:07AM

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster